The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silver screen for symphony?

+3
Paulmold
deckie
marc4242
7 posters

Go down

Silver screen for symphony? Empty Silver screen for symphony?

Post by marc4242 Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I want to get a silver screen for the cab. Initially I was going to get an internal one as I don't want the hassle of finding a place for an external one that's become wet, but the write-up on the Silver Screens website is quite persuasive. What are the options for Symphonys? Btw I couldn't find any prices on the Silver Screens website, are they really that expensive?

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Silver screen for symphony? Empty Re: Silver screen for symphony?

Post by deckie Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Marc,

The Para-Gon (fold down screen) from Silver-screens for our VW Clubman cost £119-00 total last Dec.

We used it all of Jan this year in some 'interesting' UK weather conditions and didn't suffer any condensation at all up!

Thoroughly recommend this company for product quality and polite service allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi Brian

Thanks. That's not such a bad price, In wonder why they don't put it on the website.
I'm using the 'home for the first time in winter and well, I have had more comfortable
nights. I thought of poor Ran Fiennes and decided -1 is actually pretty hot by comparison.

I'd still like a screen though ...

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 am

Got our Paragon fold-down off Ebay last year perfect condition for £54 inc postage.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:20 pm

We have just bought a genuine silverscreen for our 2011 Symbol and it cost £170.00 with postage. havent used it uet but it dose look good allthumbz allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

marc4242 wrote:I want to get a silver screen for the cab. Initially I was going to get an internal one as I don't want the hassle of finding a place for an external one that's become wet, but the write-up on the Silver Screens website is quite persuasive. What are the options for Symphonys? Btw I couldn't find any prices on the Silver Screens website, are they really that expensive?

Marc

Thats the trouble of write-ups they can be persuasive here is another view from C.A.T. Tanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Confused dot com scratch head

Matt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am

Oddsnends wrote:Thats the trouble of write-ups they can be persuasive here is another view from C.A.T. Tanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Confused dot com scratch head
Matt
I've used both internal and external.
I found that the internal ones cause a lot of condensation and can come loose in the night.
Each to his own of course, there are advantages and disadvantages with both types. Personally, I would not go back to using internal ones.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

I have a Silverscreen external screen which I bought to replace an internal screen. I've used it in all weathers from snow to heatwave. Not the cheapest but well worth owning.
In a smaller van not only does it keep the van warm (or cool in summer) it frees up space in the cab.
I never use the internal screen now.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 pm

smile! I cant remember if I mentioned it but we pick up the Silver Screen for our Duetto next Friday on the way to York for the weekend. Our first weekend out since we bought the van. biggrin We decided on Silver Screens because they called me back as promised, didnt make us feel like we had an old van that needed a screen making specialy and offered an internal screen for the side door. If we freeze our socks off cold it wont be a good start to this venture and we realy want to get the most out of our van. I will report back after York. uncertain
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks everyone. Frank and Ken, on external vs internal, I'm surprised that the inconvenience of wet external screens doesn't hold much sway with you. I could see it being livable with, with largeish vehicles, but don't you find wet screens a pain? Why did you go off the internal ones?

marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Dave

I hope you've timed it right. It's about 1 to -1 at night where I am, and although the evenings are fine, the 'home gets very cold by morning, and I see the cab screen as one of the main cuplrits; that and the rear door. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm

We managed to buy a "Silver Screens" set for our Duetto 2nd hand (used twice) for £50. Comprising of the complete outer front,1 long inner for the sliding door and 2 small inners for the back doors. All came in a nice bag, and even though it rained during the night, once the outer was wiped down with a tea towel then placed in the bag, when we got it out again that night it was dry. I presume they all come with the bag, so wet covers would only be a slight inconvenience whilst folding up, but would suggest removing as soon as possible afterwards and turning the bag inside out to allow to dry thoroughly so as to prevent them going mouldy. up!

Advantages as already mentioned, using the outer screen means not having to draw the curtains which amazingly increases the feeling of space in the front of the van, and not a hint of condensation smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 am

marc4242 wrote:Thanks everyone. Frank and Ken, on external vs internal, I'm surprised that the inconvenience of wet external screens doesn't hold much sway with you. I could see it being livable with, with largeish vehicles, but don't you find wet screens a pain?
I've never had a problem with packing the wet screens away, I just give them a wipe with a cloth to get most of the water off before rolling them up . How much space do you think they take up? I keep mine in a stuffsac which is approximately 20 inches long by about a foot in diameter. (16" x 8" actually, I've just measured it)If they are wet then they get stored in the shower room.

Why did you go off the internal ones?
For the reasons I stated earlier. Lots (not a little) of condensation on the inside of the windows, they would be running with water in the morning after a cold night. The suckers would often come unstuck during the night and the screen would slide down or curl away leaving the glass uncovered/uninsulated. Because of the condensation, the internal ones get wet, something which users/sellers of internal screens never mention and, being stiffer, they do not pack away as small as the external ones do so are less convenient to store.
HTH
Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fat finger syndrome?)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

My previous answer was a little short.
As for wet screens being a problem to store. Not in my experience, even when packing in the rain. They come with a sack. Take the time to roll them neatly and pack wet.
If you plan to use them that night no problem. If you are going to leave them it doesn't take them long to dry when you have time if you dont leave them too long.
Condensation. As stated a major problem with internal padded screens but everything stays dry with external screens.
I collected mine from the factory at Cleckheaton near Bradford and was given a discount as there was no postage.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm

We also swopped from internals to externals due to the condensation issues. The windscreen was so wet in a morning that we either had to wait an hour or more for them to dry or dry the screen with a towel before we could drive off.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for all the info I was going for an internal setup but looks like the minor disadvantage out weighs the advantages so now saving for an external. allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down