The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking Hot Water Tank

3 posters

Go down

Leaking Hot Water Tank Empty Leaking Hot Water Tank

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi everyone.
last summer the Carver Water heater on our 1995 Symphony sprang a strange leak.
The inside of the van remained dry, but once the pump had pushed the system up to pressure, a small continuous trickle of water could be seen running from the outer flue, down the exterior bodywork. Fearing the worst, and just having forked out a fortune on mechanical repairs, we got by for the rest of the touring season.
But with the prospect of a summer? in front of us, it became time to do be brave, and do something about it.
On recommendation we took "Alice" to a small independent repairer, expecting the worst, and that after initial investigation and no doubt a lot of low whistles and pencil sucking, to be confronted with the prospect of another large bill to pay!
However, after a few minutes investigation the fitter diagnosed a perished 'O' ring on the pressure release valve. A cup of coffee later it was all fixed, and I was presented with a bill for less than £50. Now I know Fifty quid is fifty quid, and someone with more mechanical ability than I have could have probably done it themselves for 2P, but for us it was a result, and I pass on the info. that this valve, situated just behind the external flue, is easy to get at and cheap to replace. We've also found a very friendly and reasonably independent repairer that we'll use again, and if you'd like the details, let us know.

Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Leaking Hot Water Tank Empty Re: Leaking Hot Water Tank

Post by boxerman Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 pm

To be honest, I am surprised you didn't fix it yourself last July. You had established that the heater wasn't leaking on the inside, so it must have been leaking from somewhere on the outside. There are only three places on the outside where it would leak from: the drain plug, the wax safety plug and the pressure release valve.
Did the guy replace the whole valve or just the O ring? The valves get brittle and can snap off when disturbed.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Leaking Hot Water Tank Empty Re: Leaking Hot Water Tank

Post by Peter Brown Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:45 pm

When I bought my Duetto (first motorhome) it turned out that the boiler had been frost damaged and was leaking inside. It was repaired under warranty. A few months later a few spots of rust appeared around the flue. The van was rusting from inside out and a substantial part of the side of the van replaced under warranty.

I would recommend eliminating ant water leak immediately it is discovered.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down