The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking water and don’t know why

+3
daisy mae
Paulmold
Jchirst2
7 posters

Go down

Leaking water and don’t know why Empty Leaking water and don’t know why

Post by Jchirst2 Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:35 am

Hello all,
I’m looking for some help with my ford Duetto autosleeper (1999). If anyone can spare the time.
I’ve just got it and it’s my first van. Filled it with water yesterday and watched it all run out the fresh water tap underneath so got that shut off and tried again! However water has still leaked away. Not from the tap, or at least I don’t think so but instead it has run to the front of the tank and a gentle stream of water has then come off the front of the tank until it’s all disappeared. The van is on a small downhill. slope, cab area facing downwards. The underneath of the tank is dry.
I’m trying to get to a garage but they are all rammed at the moment So can’t get it seen fro 3 weeks or more and I’m not at all sure that It’s broken rather could be my lack of experience. The van is in fantastic ondition and incredibly well kept by last owner who had it for 18 years. A faulty tank could be why he sold I guess but it seems a bit unlikely. I feel I am more likely the problem being so green!! It is under warranty so I’m not worried long term but would like to get away in it and this is a real pain.
If anyone has any advice would be very grateful and willing to try most things.
Jchirst2
Jchirst2

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Leaking water and don’t know why Empty Re: Leaking water and don’t know why

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:14 am

When full they overflow through vent hole in top. Could that be it or are you saying it emptied completely?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:40 am

Is there a drain valve that could have been left open after a winter drain down? There is in my 2004 Talisman but others with knowledge of a Duetto will no doubt advise.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jchirst2 Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks for your replies, I’m not sure if it’s fully empty or not. The gauge was showing half full but now shows empty. Used,the tap and water came out but it was quite spluttery and not knowing the van I don’t know if that’s normal or whether it’s because the water is nearly empty. I guess it could be coming out of vents which might be worse as it’s on a slope. Seemed like a lot of water though to be that.
Jchirst2
Jchirst2

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:27 am

Mine always runs out when I fill up, it does seem a lot, it is from the vents as has been said, then you know it is full, 

Gauges are notorious for being inaccurate,  so that  is nothing to go on, on one of mine when full I can reset the gauge if needed to, mine is quite accurate . .  spluttering from the taps is air in the system,again normal after first filling. I find turning on a hot tap, then the other hot taps turn off then turn on the cold one by one, until water flows as it should.

Hope this is of some help.

Oh have you checked that the water emptying   point is closed, ? on mine it is a yellow plastic lever, next to the hot water tank.

Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jchirst2 Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:32 am

Thank you for your replies. I’ll have another look tomorrow. Maybe it’s okay after all! That would be nice
Jchirst2
Jchirst2

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 am

Hi,
To be certain you need to park with your van level, then top up the tank.
Water will come out of vent on top of the tank when full, but should ease and then stop after a short time as the water level settles.
The tap may splutter because of air in the system. If water does stop draining from the tank, you need to purge the air. I open a hot tap to allow air to escape from the water heater, you will hear the heater as it fills with water pushing air up the pipe to the tap. Once purged, do the same with cold taps.

As a thought, check the heater vent on offside of van to make sure the heater drain valve is in place, it's bottom left corner.

If your tank does spill all of its contents, it will need removing to find the cause.

Hope that helps

jollywalker
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:00 am

I'm not familiar with the Duetto but on our Pollensa, the fresh water tank takes 50 litres but  the Truma water heater takes 10 litres from that when first filling after drain-down and this can take a wee while to fill completely. It needs leaving with the pump on and the taps closed until the pump finally stops, then the hot tap/s turned on until the spluttering stops once the air is bled from the system.  

As has been mentioned, apart from the fresh water tank drain valve you have already found, there should be a water heater drain valve - our little yellow tap is hidden behind a panel below one of our bench seats but a handy hole has been left in the panel to access it to turn it on and off.   The drain position is with the yellow lever vertically upwards, closed is with the lever either right or left horizontally aligned with the blue water pipes.  This valve simply drains via a short tube through a hole in the floor of the van onto the ground.  If it is open it will eventually drain the tank.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:01 am

I think you must have a winter drain valve that is open but don't know where it is on a duetto. Ask who you bought it from
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi wave 

I agree with others that the most likely thing is that that van hasn’t been refilled after the last winter drain down.

Closing the tap is just the first step in refilling. When the system is drained down the heater needs to be drained separately and it’s possible that the heater drain(s) are still open.

Manual here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Look at diagram 18 on page 2. On the left hand side of the heater flue there is a drain plug bottom left which should be fitted and tight, and a quarter turn device top left. The quarter turn device just lets air into the system when it’s draining but will leak if left open.

So fill the tank until it overflows (that’s normal) and then look at the flue. If you see water coming out you’ve found the problem.

If not re-post and tell us as accurately as possible where you see the water coming from. It’s possible but less likely that one of the heater connectors is leaking. Not a show stopper as replacement parts are quite cheap but a bit awkward to fit.

It’s quite easy to remove the bench seat and see the water filler and heater but let’s check the obvious first. up!

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Jchirst2 Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 am

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help . It seems to be the hot water heater valve that was causing it as was suggested and also,some overflow it.

I’ve turned the valve in the carver unit it a quarter way and the leaking has stopped,and the tank is showing that water is in there. So all good for now!
Thank you everyone, much appreciated.
Jchirst2
Jchirst2

Female

Back to top Go down