The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper

4 posters

Go down

Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper  Empty Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper

Post by troikafloyd Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi everyone! wave
I have a potential problem with a new vehicle (tested ) battery or it could be something I am doing wrong! The vehicle battery after a few days has gone flat, so is there something on the Symbol (2004 ) that is draining the power? This first happened a couple of weeks ago to the original battery so I replaced it as I had only just purchased the Symbol. I have been told since that the battery was the original when the vehicle was new. We have been away for a week (Dorset from Hampshire) so the van has had a good run but found the battery again flat after five days. Like an idiot I had the switch on Habitation on the control panel when hooked up to elec until after a few days I realised that the Hab/Vehicle switch is for charging whatever battery. The leisure battery is only a few months old. This is my first time with a 'camper' so am a novice regarding the control panel etc. I did notice a 30amp fuse was blown next to the leisure battery so replaced that....would that have stopped the vehicle battery from charging? Again, my question is was it me or is there something else that would drain the battery? I need to sort this out quick as this is my only vehicle! Apart from this problem and the weather we had a great time and are so glad we have taken the plunge....!!

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!! up!
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper  Empty Re: Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper

Post by mikethebike Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

For speed that you want go to your nearest garage.If you want to sort it yourself you will need a small multimeter.
I can help when you have one.
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper  Empty Re: Battery set up on a 2004 Peugeot Autosleeper

Post by troikafloyd Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi Mike,
I have sent off for a multimeter so will pm you as soon as it arrives. I did take the van to a relative whilst away who had a look with a multimeter and he seemed to think that the alternator was charging but I am pretty useless on these matters but want to learn! Do you think it was anything I might have been doing?
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Troikafloyd,
I agree with Mike, if you are confident with basic electrickery, arming yourself with a digital multimeter(and the radio code!) will allow the members on here to talk you through the initial tests.
First question though, since the vehicle is new to you, has it come with a warranty?

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm

The 30amp fuse blown probably meant that the leisure battery wasn't being charged when the engine was running.
I discovered my leisure battery wasn't being charged by putting a voltmeter across the terminals and running the engine.
When I found the fuse, it 'looked' OK, but on removing it, it fell apart.
Cleaned the contacts, fitted a new fuse and.....hey presto.

Not sure what could be draining the battery though.
When you get your meter you should be able to find out through a process of elimination.

Keep us informed.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down