The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight & Space Saving

+10
Dutto
Peel
Bartfarst
Patty123
bedford1984
dogseal
CC
Paulmold
stevomar
plattypus
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Weight & Space Saving - Page 2 Empty reply to Plattypus -

Post by schofj Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Why couldn't I think of that! Take a bow
schofj
schofj

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol '06

Back to top Go down

Weight & Space Saving - Page 2 Empty Re: Weight & Space Saving

Post by plattypus Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:08 pm

schofj wrote:Why couldn't I think of that! Take a bow

Thanks schofj. It's amazing what you can do when funds don't allow.
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:10 am

dogseal wrote:I made the bracket out of 2 off 3metre x55x9.5 lengths of aluminium & some 6mm ally sheet, speedfabbed together with 6mm csk screws. its light & mounts to the door hinges with spacers. At present we are in Devon on holiday & the thing is in use.
Before we went away I managed to add some outriggers to support the bottom of the fiamma box, as well as paint the bracket. I had to drill 2 holes in the door skin to add support in the middle rib of the door.
All in all, I'm happy with it, all I need to do is to replace the hinge spacers with stainless ones when i get back home & it's sorted. I'll take some photos of the setup tommorow, the whole thing has cost me £40 so far.
Tim
up!
Nice bit of craftsmanship Dogseal.

I used to have the confidence to knock things out like that during my years 'fiddling about with car mechanics' but now suffer with arthritic problems which basically put paid to many things. Still do my own oil changes but even that's a struggle now. so_sad I like how you fixed it to the n/s rather than the usual o/s door. I'm about to have a Bike rack fitted which, as far as I know, has to go on the o/s door. Pity really as that's the only rear window you can see out of!

Not sure if you knew but Fiamma do what they call a Wall Box kit which is basically the same as what you have built.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Bulletguy
I checked out the Fiamma back box rack , but it isn't suitable for double rear door vans. only coach biult.
Roger
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:47 am

plattypus wrote:Hi Bulletguy
I checked out the Fiamma back box rack , but it isn't suitable for double rear door vans. only coach biult.
Roger
Hi Roger

Yes now I think of it you're right as the Wall Box was my original intention as I doubt i'll have a bike! This dealer who i've ordered a bike rack through told me I couldn't have a Wall Box. Also gone for a 180 Box as the 320 was too big and heavy for the door on my model Transit which is only two hinges, the later models have three hinges to each door.

Tidy piece of work you did there though. You could make a bob or two drawing up the plans and measurements! I'm sure those with the facility/capability would jump at the opportunity as it's not the usual 'heath robinson' knocked out by the sledgehammer set!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2