The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Montana

+9
Jase_eng
pharris
cosurvey
Nuevo
Jessie
Auto-Sleeper Eric
Bartfarst
Woodburner
CC
13 posters

Go down

My Montana Empty Re: My Montana

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Woodburner
Looks like you have got a good van there smile! . The Montana layout is really good in a small van, similar to the VW Talent. A/S didn't make these for that long in favour of the trident / trooper side kitchen layout and rear seat. Personally I think 2 belted rear seats and rear kitchen is an excellent layout (Bilbos Nexa sells well in this form) and with only 45K on the clock it's hardly run in. Hope you enjoy your van. up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Never seen a Montana on our travels, would think the Vito makes a decent base vehicle and surprised Autosleepers don't still build on them, ideal for a pop top... be nice to see some larger photos 640 x 480 res is the recommended size if you are able to upload any more up!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty my montana pictures

Post by Woodburner Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

some larger pictures

My Montana IMG_0080_zps21da7b81

My Montana IMG_0078_zpsbbeda86a

My Montana IMG_0079_zpsc4a11a9c

Last edited by Woodburner on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add picture)
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Member Age : 90
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty my montana pictures

Post by Woodburner Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm

some larger pictures

My Montana IMG_0080_zps21da7b81

My Montana IMG_0078_zpsbbeda86a
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Woodburner, that looks a great van. Congratulations!

The only concern I had when seeing a Montana (I think I have the right van) was the limited ground clearance due to the particularly low-slung water tank(s). They seemed particularly vulnerable to me. Might be worth keeping an eye on them, particularly the taps when negotiating rutted entrances to CLs etc.

Bartfarst

Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty snap!

Post by Woodburner Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 am

smile! I don't feel so alone now! Pleased with mine, fairly economical, about 35 mpg, though yours will do nearer 27 I would guess. Had to replace rear discs, pads and handbrake shoes and the air filter which was filthy, every thing ok now. Quite comfortable to sleep in and well designed accomodation. Very steady on the road and good visibility. Make sure the tyres are properly inflated as this makes a big difference to mpg and roadholding. Enjoy your new toy!
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Sleeper Eric Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Woodburner, we are looking forward picking it up next week, hope you don't mind could be picking your brains next week. smile!
Auto-Sleeper Eric
Auto-Sleeper Eric

Female

Member Age : 80

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty you have a PM

Post by Woodburner Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

you have a PM
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Sleeper Eric Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm

We are begining to get our Montana sorted out, given it a good clean inside all the lockers and cuboards which to be fair were not bad any way, just feel better doing it. Bought a new battery for Tayma at Abergele as recommended on the forum, they were very good and reasonable, the code on the old battery showed it was 8 years old so it had not done to badly.

The next thing I want to do is get the upholstery redone as the material seems to have split, I have heard it is a fault with that particualar material. the best quote we have had is £450. so we will see how that goes.

We had a surprise was that when we were takeing the daughters dog for a walk, we passed a Montana exactly the same as ours excepte it was a deisel, parked outside a house, so of course we had to knock the door and talk to the owner, who was very friendly and showed us inside his, and we found his material on the seats was splitting just the same as ours.

So now thats 3 Montana's we know of. Apparently there were 37 Montana's made between 1997/1999, wonder if there are many more out there.
Auto-Sleeper Eric
Auto-Sleeper Eric

Female

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty upholstery

Post by Woodburner Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Yes, our Montana front seats are showing UV damage, been in the sun too long. They are half leather so will not be reupholstering!. I have bodged the damage by applying white PVA adhesive, sticking the loose threads to the cushion beneath. So far, so good. Glad you are pleased with your 'van, hope to see you one day?
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty Underslung water tanks and leaking roof

Post by Jessie Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Had my 1998 hightop petrol Montana for over 6 years now. First thing I had done was the removal of unerslung water tanks. I had this done to facilitate waxoyling, put asked them to be left off. Can't see the need for them. They only cause drag, reduce carrying capacity and catch on high bumps. We use a portable water container and let the waste water - what little there is - drain onto the ground below. Or you could feed into a container like on the Trident.

Problem with leak in cab caused by corrosion in metal body where it joins onto grp top. Paid £500 last year for fix, but dripping again from o/s corner of windscreen. Ongoing project!

Jessie
Jessie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Sleeper Eric Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm

We enjoyed our Montana while we had her, for me to drive as I could not manage the other one, now fortunatly OH is much improved and able to drive alright again so our lovely Montana has gone to a new home.

Tried to put a couple of pictures on but they have disapeared into the ether. smile!
Auto-Sleeper Eric
Auto-Sleeper Eric

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Auto-Sleeper Eric wrote:

Tried to put a couple of pictures on but they have disapeared into the ether. smile!

Autosleeper eric Looks like you deleted your piccys in photobucket as it says they were removed. you got another autosleeper or gone over to the darker side of life hugegrins

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty Our Montana

Post by cosurvey Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Auto-Sleeper Eric wrote:So now thats 3 Montana's we know of.   Apparently there were 37 Montana's made between 1997/1999, wonder if there are many more out there.

Our Montana is a 1999 Mercedes Vito 113, 2 litre petrol Automatic (129hp). Has a lifting roof. 
Has done 72000 miles. Drivers seats now held together with blue duck/duct tape. passenger seat is threadbare. 
Plan to buy sheepskin seat covers, rather than re uphostering.

We find that the layout of the Montana plus tailgate and sliding doors either side is really adaptable and easy to use.
Recently looked to upgrade either to a coachbuilt or VW T4/5 but could not find a layout that gave access and visibility 
on all sides of the vehicle. Also could not justify the 15K to 20K spend to replace what we already have...

Now just have to get on and fix the central locking and Surflo water pump. Any tips would be welcome.
cosurvey
cosurvey

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

My Montana Empty montana seats wear my drivers seat is badly

Post by pharris Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Woodburner wrote:Yes, our Montana front seats are showing UV damage, been in the sun too long.  They are half leather so will not be reupholstering!. I have bodged the damage by applying white PVA adhesive, sticking the loose threads to the cushion beneath. So far, so good. Glad you are pleased with your 'van, hope to see you one day?
pharris
pharris

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : montana

Back to top Go down

Post by Jase_eng Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi,

New on here, but had my 2.3 diesel Montana pop top for around 6 years now. I use it for my daily journeys for work and everything else!. I love it, it does everything i could possibly ask and more... (under the Height barriers at car parks, 8 sheets of 8ft by 4ft plasterboard in the back during house renovations, 4 to 5 holidays a year with 2 adults,2kids ,awning, 4 bikes and a dog!, even carried a motorbike in back with a squeeze!)

Front seats are in need of TLC, so any tips or who recovers would be helpful......
Jase_eng
Jase_eng

Male

Member Age : 52
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi, Good to hear from another Diesel 2.3 poptop Montana owner. I'm restoring mine which I bought just over a year ago from Greenways who used to be on this forum. I had my seats recovered by Duoflex in Brackley who I have used for years. They only do Coach seats normally but I would ask. A good price if you take the seats to them, and an excellent job. I'd put some photos up but can't get my head around this bucket. My Montana is nearly finished now. Just needs some new graphic stripes along the bottom of the side doors as it has just had a bottom half professional respray just to get ride of a very little surface rust, a few untreated stone chips and someone drawing on the doors ... with a key shrugg ( No, I don't get it either,) but looks like new now. The list of jobs done goes on for ever so I will have to work out this bucket thing. One thing I will say is I have fitted an "outside" shower as in the new Wave model has, and as the waste water tank doesn't appear to have ever been used I took it out, cleaned and sterilized it and will put it back connected to the fresh water tank. The front tank (fresh water) needs a new ply support board which is already made and ready to go on. Good luck with your seats.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by peter123 Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:52 pm

hi I am new on here I have the same as you the only deference is the year mine is 1999 I wonder if you could help me I am also new to motor camper and I brought it only a week ago I would be very grateful if you could give me some info on this van Please 
Thank you 
Peter
peter123
peter123

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Montana
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by peter123 Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi sorry 2.0L High top Montana Vito
peter123
peter123

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
For info
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:29 am

and[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peter123 Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:33 am

Thank you so much I owe you a big drink for that you have made my Day ……. now all I got to get is the Back wiper to work and New tap on sink a find the Fuse for Wiper honestly you dont know how you have really helped me ………….. I have not been out for 2 years since my wife Died we had a Folding Caravan and had to sell it because it was her Pride and Joy for 20 years but I could not go in it since so Thank you again
peter123
peter123

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Anorak fact- looks like the Montana design evolved from the VW Surf concept van shown in the 1997 AS Magazine which never made it into the showrooms.

Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:44 pm

for info[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:46 pm

and[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We make a good team newterry eh??   smile!
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down