The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval

+2
Askit
CC
6 posters

Go down

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval Empty Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval

Post by CC Yesterday at 4:57 pm

Have just read this readers article in this months MMM (see photo) & like the reader thought the timing belt was to be changed at 10yrs, but after reading this article it’s as clear as mud as to when it’s actually due, as our Broadway is a 2019 model I’m now thinking the timing belt interval could be sooner than I anticipated, has anyone had their belt changed on the 160bhp Boxer & at how many years? I seem to recall we may have a sheet tucked away in our paperwork with a service schedule but haven’t attempted to dig it out from wherever it is, but reading this in MMM just seems to make it very unclear therefore I wondered if anyone here could be a bit more accurate as to when it’s due?

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval Img_4910

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval Empty Re: Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval

Post by Askit Yesterday at 6:08 pm

I've been trying to check this out for weeks as our van will be 10 years old next year. The handbook doesn't give any indication of a schedule and my contact with Peugeot 'pushed' me towards downloading their app. They said it would give me the answer, well it didn't. I emailed customer services via the app to get an answer, I've had three holding responses with the last, a week ago, promising a reply when the sender gets confirmation from a technical source. The article you've posted is the closest I've got to a definitive answer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval Empty Re: Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval

Post by Paulmold Yesterday at 6:31 pm

Askit  - what engine is yours?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Yesterday at 8:07 pm

If CC’s van is 2019 and 160 hp I think it will be the 160 Blue HDi. I was just thinking today, driving back from leafy Surrey, what an excellent torquey engine it is, that coming from somebody used to rather bigger engines in cars.

I suspect that it is impossible to be definitive about how long a cam belt will last. Does it actually wear out? Does it denature due to lack of use & too long static in one position? Is lack of use better or worse than lots of use, and so on. It is a guessing game. Usage can vary so much.

I have avoided belt cam vehicles successfully for a long time now, but for the present van I had little choice. I now have (I think) my first belt cam engine ever (160 Blue HDi) bought at 3 years old and 6500 miles. I intend to change the belt at around 50,000 miles, which at the present rate will be around 6 years from new, I.e. next year. I suspect that is not unreasonable, but who knows really? You might be able to risk longer, but my rather modified vehicle would be a PITA to replicate, and barring incident may well see me out so well worth taking care of!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Yesterday at 8:14 pm

Paulmold wrote:Askit  - what engine is yours?
2.2 HDi, 150bhp I think  scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Yesterday at 8:27 pm

Are you sure it's a belt and not a chain? My 2.2 is a chain.

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Yesterday at 8:54 pm

Paulmold wrote:Are you sure it's a belt and not a chain? My 2.2 is a chain.

That's the kind of information I was hoping Peugeot would give me. Unfortunately the main Peugeot dealership I was using will no longer offer service. I gave Peugeot my vin number as requested and..........who knows. Does the chain still need replaced?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Yesterday at 9:06 pm

No, the chain does not require replacement as part of scheduled service.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Yesterday at 9:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:No, the chain does not require replacement as part of scheduled service.

Thanks, I'll give Peugeot a few more days to respond.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Yesterday at 10:09 pm

Re cambelts, I know chains are mentioned above, this is just me re belts...

If a cambelt breaks the cam stops and the pistons keep moving thereby colliding with the valves which are held still by the stationary camshaft(s).

This means that all valves that were open will need to be replaced, the pistons that hit them ditto, the connecting rods may be bent too, as may the crankshaft.

Or, in simpler terms, a complete engine rebuild.

So, any vehicle I buy, regardless of history, including receipts etc, gets a new cambelt asap, and it has to be a complete GATES kit too, including, if necessary the water pump and tensioner pulleys etc+.

Then that one gets replaced at no more than half the manufacturer replacement mileage recommendation. Especially in a little used or irregularly used vehicle such as a motorhome which has the belt in a fixed position for months at a time......

My cost, roughly £350 per belt change. My peace of mind, worth a lot more.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Yesterday at 11:08 pm

CC,

This is a photo of the servicing schedule printed off for my 2019 Boxer by a Peugeot dealer.  Sorry its on its side.  It shows replacement on time or mileage whichever comes first.  I wont achieve 96k or 87.5k miles so for me its 10 years.  Nick Fisher from MMM has not read the servicing schedule properly as it explains when 87.5k mies is appropriate.

Broadway Peugeot Boxer Timing Change interval Img_8011
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down