The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving through flooded roads

+9
Caraman
Kemerton-bath
RML
The Bargee
Tinwheeler
Roopert
Dbvwt
MalMonty
clarkescribe
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Driving through flooded roads - Page 2 Empty Re: Driving through flooded roads

Post by Caraman Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:55 pm

Although the base vehicle manufacturer may have tested their vehicle for safe wading depths, I am certain that A-S will not have conducted tests after they have converted the vehicle, which is much more important.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Yesterday at 8:54 am

Caraman wrote:
Sally wrote:..... I would have driven through water that covered the rubber on the tyre without a second thought (not at speed obviously, dead slow).  So I’m wondering what I’m missing. 

It’s a genuine question by the way, and I accept it may be me.
My van is on jacks at the moment but if it was not and the water level covered the rubber on the tyres I am pretty sure the water level would be up to the motorhome's wooden floor which is full of holes for wires, pipes and gas dropouts.  Some of Sargent's wiring harness with its spade connectors would be underwater as would the fresh and waste water tanks and their pipes, breathers, insulation & heaters, the underslung gas tank and regulator and in my case electrically operated levelling jacks and their control box which is bolted onto the underside of the floor.  None of these are designed to be immersed in water let alone water that is flowing due to the motion of the vehicle, wash from passing vehicles or if it is part of a river which it can often be on a flooded road.  Again I haven't checked it but I am pretty sure if the water level covered the tyres' rubber it would be significantly above the lower cab door seals and close to the AdBlue & diesel filler.  If I drove my Honda Jazz with water covering the rubber on its tyres, the water level would be halfway up the doors.  I shudder to think what harm could be done to its hybrid electrics let alone its petrol engine.
I meant the bottom level of rubber, not the top. I’m talking a few inches deep, not all the way up to the top of the tyre.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Yesterday at 9:17 am

Sally,
Isn't the bottom level of the rubber and the 6 o'clock position on the rim the same thing with the 12 o'clock position on the rim or covering the whole rubber tyre being much higher?  If you would have driven with the water at the bottom level of the rubber / the 6 o'clock position on the rim without a second thought (but with much reduced speed) then that's fine.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Yesterday at 4:19 pm

The problem with any flood is it is impossible, short of getting the wellies on and testing it, to determine the actual water depth.

Therefore the only safe solution is don't drive through a flood at all if there is any possible alternative, if not, then get the wellies on.

My wife had two Shetland ponies, neither would walk through a puddle, but only go round it, I'm sure they also worried re water depth....!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Yesterday at 5:00 pm

Perhaps not this deep?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Yesterday at 10:01 pm

Best bit was the sunroof being open working as a great scoop!!!
Might be a good one to follow though as there was less water in the flood after it was through....!!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2