The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!

+3
bikeralw
Tinwheeler
yammy
7 posters

Go down

Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!  Empty Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!

Post by yammy Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi Guys

I have had my 5.7m Nuevo EK for a couple of years now, purchased new.  I learnt a while back that a slightly longer Nuevo (5.99m) was being introduced but didnt realise that Peugeot and Fiat were discontinuing production of the 5.7 version. Will this make the shorter Nuevo more desirable and increase the second hand market or will people prefer the longer Nuevo and put sleeping length over parking issues?
be really interested to hear peoples views. Cheers up!
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!  Empty Re: Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:12 pm

I suspect, given the current market, they will be equally difficult to sell.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!  Empty Re: Stopping production of the 5.7m Nuevo !!!

Post by bikeralw Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:25 pm

I wonder if they said the same when they stopped production of my 5.4m long Nuevo?
Like cars, every new model is longer, wider and heavier. Which to me seems to be the wrong way to go in this day and age.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Oct 09, 2024 2:13 pm

bikeralw wrote:I wonder if they said the same when they stopped production of my 5.4m long Nuevo?
Like cars, every new model is longer, wider and heavier. Which to me seems to be the wrong way to go in this day and age.
Al.

Yes indeed, hadnt really thought about that but i think either a 5.4m or 5.7m would still fit in to a parking space quite easily but a 5.99m is really pushing it.  scratch head
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Oct 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I suspect, given the current market, they will be equally difficult to sell.

Be interesting to see as i am booked in to the NEC next week and the "pop-up" site was only available for 1 night when i usually get 3 so i think its going to be a busy one, weather or not people will part with large sums of cash or just browse will remain to be seen  allthumbz
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:12 pm

The 5.99m Nuevo feels much more spacious inside, we saw one at SMC motorhomes, it actually feels more like a Broadway than the Nuevo’s we are used to, not sure why Auto Sleeper keep increasing the length of their models, we would have loved an End Lounge Broadway again but I personally feel they’ve spoilt it by increasing the length over the earlier model we had previously, shame as we would have been tempted to go for a new model.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:52 am

I thought I read somewhere that Peugeot or Fiat are stopping production of the 3m SWB base vehicle so the Nuevo+ might have to replace the standard Nuevo.  I don't know if this is true.  The Nuevo+ has an Al-Ko chassis.  I would be interested to know the technical impacts of this.  For example, the Nuevo+ payload appears to be much higher than the Nuevo's, presumably because the Al-Ko chassis is lighter.  The Nuevo doesn't need a higher payload but I would be interested to know the new axle masses and wheel bases.  The Nuevo+ may have a higher rear axle loading margin which could make a tow bar e-bike rack more feasible but can the Al-Ko chassis be fitted with a tow bar with a sufficiently high nose weight?  How do the rear suspensions differ and does this give the Al-Ko handling benefits?  They both appear to have the same waste water tank but no mention is made of the Nuevo+ fresh water tank.  I would be interested to know the benefits of the more expensive Broadway EK over the Nuevo+.  Is it just that the bench seats are slightly longer (Nuevo 4'6", Nuevo+ 5'4" and Broadway 6') and with it the locker space.  Do all of them still come with R15 wheels which can make up-plating harder for the Broadway which has the lowest rear axle loading margin.  I wonder if in time A-S will replace all their chassis with Al-Ko?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

CC and Cymro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doog1948 Sun Oct 20, 2024 7:00 am

the increased payload was the main criteria for us opting for the nuevo+. it has 16inch wheels and handling seems fine. not sure how easy changing a punctured wheel/tyre  will be as there is minimal clearance in wheel arch. one to be checked! the small increase in length allows greater leg stretching in bed.
another prime reason for our choice of nuevo was peace of mind driving legally. 
my previous van was a carthago, which was a splendid van, but i was never certain that i was within 3500kgs.( my legal limit ). the thought of being uninsured in case of an accident was of concern, plus no licence . 
Doug.
doog1948
doog1948

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : ek plus nuevo auto
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 20, 2024 7:27 am

doog1948 wrote:the increased payload was the main criteria for us opting for the nuevo+. it has 16inch wheels and handling seems fine. not sure how easy changing a punctured wheel/tyre  will be as there is minimal clearance in wheel arch. one to be checked! the small increase in length allows greater leg stretching in bed.
another prime reason for our choice of nuevo was peace of mind driving legally. 
my previous van was a carthago, which was a splendid van, but i was never certain that i was within 3500kgs.( my legal limit ). the thought of being uninsured in case of an accident was of concern, plus no licence . 
Doug.
That's interesting.  Is it the R16 rather than R15 wheels of the standard Nuevo and equivalent Broadway that might make wheel removal harder?  Does the Nuevo+ still have the underslung spare at the back?  Is its maximum rear axle mass still 2000 kg? What tyres does it come with on the R16 wheels?   

If I carried full water tanks on my Nuevo with the rear bike rack loaded and several days worth of rations my rear axle and one or both of its 109 load rated rear tyres would probably be overloaded, even though the van as a whole wouldn't be overloaded.  I have levelling jacks which increases the load on the rear axle even though I have removed the rear corner steadies.

I saw a dealer sales video of the Nuevo+ which claimed better handling because the Al-Ko chassis and therefore van C of G is lower but I can't see how this can be as the overall height of the vehicle hasn't changed and from the pictures the floor doesn't appear to be any lower.  What rear suspension does it have which might give rise to improved handling?  My standard Nuevo has Peugeot leaf springs without airbags.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doog1948 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:55 am

can't do any checks at moment. weather a tad inclement. no jacks but still has steadies and spare wheel. there are no leaf springs with the alko chassis. tyres are 225 75 16. michelin agilis cp. i experiment with tyre pressures. currently 55psi front and 65psi back. i try not to travel loaded with water. don't really trust the tank or straps. the ride seems fair given the state of the roads! don't know about axle mass. according to blurb the payload is " estimated " at circa 850kgs............maybe. about 250kgs over the standard nuevo. can't really imagine exceeding this. you can't get much in the van anyway.
doog1948
doog1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doog1948 Sun Oct 20, 2024 10:03 am

not sure of jacking points on this. the alko chassis axle must not be jacked as its basically a hollow tube.............or so i.m told. will have a good look under when weather permits.
doog1948
doog1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks doog1948.  Your 225/75 R16 CP comes with a load index of 116 (1250 kg) or 118 (1320 kg).  Which do you have?  Either way, the load index is a great deal better than the 109 (1030 kg) fitted as standard to my Nuevo (215/70 R15 CP).  I am planning to upgrade these soon to 225/70 R15 CP with a load index of 112 (1120 kg)  This is as high as I can go without changing the rims to R16 which I don't intend to do and may not even fit my Nuevo.  I am surprised they haven't fitted Michelin's CrossClimate Camping tyre which seems to have replaced the Michelin Agilis Camping tyre and should have better traction on grass pitches as well better winter performance.  If you haven't already done so, it's well worthwhile loading your van as you would for a trip and then taking it to weigh bridge to get the axle masses.  From these you can determine the optimum front and rear ETRTO tyre pressures for your tyres.  If you are running your rear CP tyres at 65 psi, it suggests you don't have a TPMS.  Is that right?  The A-S website suggest it does have TPMS.  When you go out check it is a CP and not a C tyre as they are different.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Oct 20, 2024 2:57 pm

Caraman wrote:I saw a dealer sales video of the Nuevo+ which claimed better handling because the Al-Ko chassis and therefore van C of G is lower but I can't see how this can be as the overall height of the vehicle hasn't changed and from the pictures the floor doesn't appear to be any lower.  

I'm not sure that's correct.  The Alko chassis is more stable because it has a wider rear axle.  We had that on a previous Laika, and I can vouch that the increase in stability is noticeable.  The wider rear axle often comes with a double floor.  

The Alko chassis is usually with the Fiat/Peugeot range.  Fewer Mercedes models with Alko because of RWD, and Mercedes prefer to keep the Sprinter chassis.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Oct 20, 2024 3:13 pm

That and the increased size of the wheels might also explain why removing the rear wheels is harder on the Nuevo+.  It would also help justify fitting C rather than CP tyres, especially if they have a higher load index.  But doog1948 says his are CP.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doog1948 Yesterday at 9:55 am

the tyres are cp and index of 116. couldn't get an accurate track width of front and  rear. its raining and wheels are wrapped. by using wood blocks on the chassis it looks possible to lift the van. might mean lugging a couple of trees with you! perhaps others have a better idea. don't fancy the rac man turning up and pushing his trolley jack under the axle.
doog1948
doog1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Yesterday at 9:06 pm

doog1948 wrote:the tyres are cp and index of 116. couldn't get an accurate track width of front and  rear. its raining and wheels are wrapped. by using wood blocks on the chassis it looks possible to lift the van. might mean lugging a couple of trees with you! perhaps others have a better idea. don't fancy the rac man turning up and pushing his trolley jack under the axle.
There must be a way of jacking up a rear wheel.  On the Al-Ko chassis on my caravans a jacking point bracket could be bolted onto the chassis but I never liked using it as the chassis flexed if the scissor jack was not perfectly positioned beneath it.  I positioned axle stands on the chassis stub each wheel was connected to.  Someone with a Corinium should know how it's done. I've read on the Forum that the white plastic rear wheel arch has to be removed to remove a wheel. 

It surprises me that the Nuevo+ has the Michelin Agilis Camping 225/75 R16 116 CP tyre.  As I said before, my 2019 Nuevo and I understand the equivalent Broadway, was supplied with a smaller Continental 215/70 R15 109 CP tyre.  I suspect the rear axle MTPLMs are the same for both Nuevos and the equivalent Broadway - 2000 kg - but that the rear axle mass in running order is significantly less on the Nuevo+ resulting in a lower actual mass in most cases so less need for the higher load index of 116.  Michelin recommend that their Michelin Agilis Camping 225/75 R16 116 CP tyre is inflated to 80 psi on the rear tyres.  If you have a factory fitted TPMS which the Nuevo+ marketing blurb claims it has, I would expect it to be set around the 80 psi as mine is.  In which case, running it at 65 psi would trigger it.  What pressures are shown on the tyre pressure label on the cab door C pillar?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by doog1948 Today at 10:08 am

have no tpms fitted on my nuevo ek+. checked label on door frame. 79.5 f+r. tried that when new and never heard such a racket from all over the van. might not be fiat recommended but lowering to 60f +65r seems a great deal more comfortable.
had exactly the same problem with most of our previous vans.
if you are interested or available, we are camping on the ccc site Salisbury 17th -21st Nov. maybe compare notes?
doog1948
doog1948

Male

Back to top Go down