The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked

5 posters

Go down

T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked Empty T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked

Post by Mr Grey Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:35 pm

This is super-lazy of me but before I contact AS, does anyone happen to know if the black plastic moulding which fits on the side-door step on the T4 Topaz is available from anywhere or have any tips on fixing them when they’re cracked/broken?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked Empty Re: T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if this is different on the Topaz.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked Empty Re: T4 Topaz Sliding Door Step Moulding Cracked

Post by Roopert Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:22 pm

Unfortunately it's a custom part for the Topaz, because the rear passenger seat hangs over the right-hand part of the step. It looks to be a vacuum moulding, which A/S used quite widely on vans from that era. By all means ask, but I doubt they will stock spares now. If it were mine, I would probably have a go at repairing it in GRP.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:52 pm

That’s a great idea Roopert! Cheers for the tip  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:54 pm

Paulmold wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea if this is different on the Topaz.
Thanks Paul - unfortunately, it does look as if it’s a custom part but appreciate you trying to help!  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:05 am

I think I would have a go at repairing it. I would find a strip of wood or similar that can be clamped into the relevant groove to push the plastic back to shape, then inject black CT1 or OB1 adhesive into all the hollows, clean off the surplus, let it cure and then apply a further layer of adhesive, sculpted and smoothed as necessary, to try and replicate the original contours. It probably wouldn’t be an invisible repair but it is just a step!

Alternatively obtain a piece of aluminium checker plate, cut to a suitable shape and bond it over the plastic.

Edit: on reflection I think I would do the bonding bit just to reinforce what is there, without worrying about the sculpting, then fit alloy chequer, cut to fit over the ribbed area.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Mr Grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:58 am

The Bargee wrote:I think I would have a go at repairing it. I would find a strip of wood or similar that can be clamped into the relevant groove to push the plastic back to shape, then inject black CT1 or OB1 adhesive into all the hollows, clean off the surplus, let it cure and then apply a further layer of adhesive, sculpted and smoothed as necessary, to try and replicate the original contours. It probably wouldn’t be an invisible repair but it is just a step!

Alternatively obtain a piece of aluminium checker plate, cut to a suitable shape and bond it over the plastic.

Edit: on reflection I think I would do the bonding bit just to reinforce what is there, without worrying about the sculpting, then fit alloy chequer, cut to fit over the ribbed area.
Thanks for the very detailed suggestion!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pjperry Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:35 pm

Had the same issue with our Topaz but a bit worse than that. As a temporary fix I carefully covered over with black gorilla glue cloth tape which has a similar finish and blends well with the plastic. That was over 2 years ago now and it's so hard wearing that I forget it was ever cracked in the first place.

Alternatively 3D printing could be an option if you're that way inclined.
pjperry
pjperry

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Grey Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:07 am

pjperry wrote:Had the same issue with our Topaz but a bit worse than that. As a temporary fix I carefully covered over with black gorilla glue cloth tape which has a similar finish and blends well with the plastic. That was over 2 years ago now and it's so hard wearing that I forget it was ever cracked in the first place.

Alternatively 3D printing could be an option if you're that way inclined.
 That’s a great suggestion too. Thanks! This forum is with its weight in gold.

Donator
Donator

Male

pjperry likes this post

Back to top Go down