The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test Drive Insurance

+7
PLOUGHLIN
Cymro
Mike187
merv
Fixer
Tinwheeler
marco vw
11 posters

Go down

Test Drive Insurance Empty Test Drive Insurance

Post by marco vw Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:13 am

Hi All
Unfortunately the time has come to sell my 1997 AS Trident.

I'm just thinking ahead to test drives for potential buyers; my insurance company isnt flexible enough to offer cover for this  and I wondered if anyone has experience of using the temporary/short term policies that some  companies offer online and whether there are any that are recommended or best avoided.

Thanks in advance
marco vw
marco vw

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Test Drive Insurance Empty Re: Test Drive Insurance

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:16 am

That’s one of the drawbacks of a private sale. I suspect most people will rely on the clause in the prospective buyer's insurance which will allow him to have third party cover on another vehicle not belonging to him.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:25 pm

They may have driving other cars on their policy that would give 3rd party cover.
Only allow them to do this if they hand over the full asking price, otherwise sit them in the seat without the steering wheel then you are fully covered.
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

gef likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:25 pm

I think the third party cover for driving another vehicle is less common than it was.  Neither our van insurance nor our car insurance allows that.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:27 pm

merv wrote:I think the third party cover for driving another vehicle is less common than it was.  Neither our van insurance nor our car insurance allows that.

I’m surprised as both our policies give that cover.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:10 pm

I think it’s less common than it used to be. Our present policies for cars and motorhome are with Saga and they have it. But before we settled back with Saga they were moved about a bit with different insurance companies and if I remember rightly most didn’t have it and a least one limited it to the policy holder so excluding named drivers.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:18 pm

As Tinwheeler said, the cover is only third party. If your van is also damaged, you would have to recover the repair cost from the prospective buyer - who may be a man of straw. 

You could add the prospective buyer to your comprehensive policy, if he agrees to pay the additional premium and the excess in case of accident. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:44 pm

Mike187 wrote:I think it’s less common than it used to be. Our present policies for cars and motorhome are with Saga and they have it. But before we settled back with Saga they were moved about a bit with different insurance companies and if I remember rightly most didn’t have it and a least one limited it to the policy holder so excluding named drivers.

Mike

I think it’s always only the policy holder who gets that clause, not named drivers.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:20 am

My motorhome policy with Safeguard has never allowed me to drive another vehicle not belonging to me. Two years ago my wife's car policy (Rias, not sure who the underwriter is) made a point of specifically excluding her from driving another vehicle not belonging to her and that's how it remains.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:47 am

I have three policies with Aviva (Motorhome via Comfort). All allow the Policyholder to drive any vehicle with the permission of the owner, Third Party cover only. Also both Policyholder and Named Drivers are covered fully comprehensive to drive a loan vehicle whilst the insured vehicle is being repaired, serviced or MOTed for maximum of 7 days.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:06 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
Mike187 wrote:I think it’s less common than it used to be. Our present policies for cars and motorhome are with Saga and they have it. But before we settled back with Saga they were moved about a bit with different insurance companies and if I remember rightly most didn’t have it and a least one limited it to the policy holder so excluding named drivers.

Mike

I think it’s always only the policy holder who gets that clause, not named drivers.
Our policies includes policy holder and spouse/partner to driver other vehicles, third party only, but not other named drivers, to be honest very rarely used in our case.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:44 pm

If a potential buyer wanted to drive my Symbol (I’ve actually got it for sale at present) and said that’s it’s ok as they have 3rd party cover on their own insurance the answer would still be sorry but no.
Maybe it’s just me but imagine the hassle if they drove into another car/lamp post up the road.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

rogerblack and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:45 pm

Indeed so.
I think that, subject to my next paragraph, the vendor should insist on seeing evidence that the prospective purchaser has comprehensive cover to drive the vehicle which is for sale. 

But let’s return to the original question: “ I wondered if anyone has experience of using the temporary/short term policies that some  companies offer online and whether there are any that are recommended or best avoided.”

I’m afraid I don’t. 

Cymro 
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:22 pm

Hi.
If you need any help with short term insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : No
Vehicle Year : No

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:49 pm

Dbvwt wrote:If a potential buyer wanted to drive my Symbol (I’ve actually got it for sale at present) and said that’s it’s ok as they have 3rd party cover on their own insurance the answer would still be sorry but no.
Maybe it’s just me but imagine the hassle if they drove into another car/lamp post up the road.
Your perogative, but no way would I buy a vehicle until I had driven it. Would anybody??
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:55 pm

merv wrote:My motorhome policy with Safeguard has never allowed me to drive another vehicle not belonging to me. Two years ago my wife's car policy (Rias, not sure who the underwriter is) made a point of specifically excluding her from driving another vehicle not belonging to her and that's how it remains.
You need to specifically state that it is a requirement. It is always an option it may add a couple of pounds, but worth it to me. If your provider doesn't want to offer it as you are too high a risk, try somebody else.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:18 pm

matchlessman wrote:
Dbvwt wrote:If a potential buyer wanted to drive my Symbol (I’ve actually got it for sale at present) and said that’s it’s ok as they have 3rd party cover on their own insurance the answer would still be sorry but no.
Your perogative, but no way would I buy a vehicle until I had driven it. Would anybody??
I never drove any of my three vans that I've had.  All were from dealers with warranty so I took the chance of warranty taking care of any problems that arose and any problems were taken care of without any hassle.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

PLOUGHLIN and Spoonvet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:22 am

Buying from a dealer is not the same as buying privately. 

I want to ensure it is good to drive, after all hopefully many thousands of miles will be covered and little problems you find when driving eat away at the enjoyment.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:54 am

matchlessman wrote:Buying from a dealer is not the same as buying privately. 

I want to ensure it is good to drive, after all hopefully many thousands of miles will be covered and little problems you find when driving eat away at the enjoyment.

So do you make sure you have fully comprehensive insurance when going to view a private van/car beforehand? I stand by my decision not to allow anyone with only 3rd party insurance to test drive my van.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Wed Aug 21, 2024 3:16 pm

That's fine, as i said, your perogative. I would however expect most buyers would want to test drive, so you would be loosing potential sales.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Back to top Go down