The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Van conversion condensation

+4
Millie The Moocher
The Bargee
Tinwheeler
Sheppy
8 posters

Go down

Van conversion condensation Empty Van conversion condensation

Post by Sheppy Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:42 pm

Hi all,
New member and just asking a few questions just prior to purchase.
All the autosleeper vans with the automotive glass design, should be similar to the Warwick XL that we are choosing I would guess.
For clarity and comparison we currently have a motorhome with the double glazed plastic windows obviously and it has the ALDE style heating.
We are quite happy with the changes to blown air and fully know how to keep the van ventilated etc. but we do use all year and just trying to get a feel for how well the “science” of the single panes and the coating really works for you all.
We do use the silver screens on cab and we get the same on front if screens down when the wife is cooking/hairdryer time on those cold damp days but that soon disappears, that just an example of when we see condensation in current use as such.
Are these windows ok, is there a big difference in a metal shell van, does the 3 ducted heating - now Whale rather than Truma get the whole van body warm as such or is there possible mods to do as such.
This query is more about trying to get an understanding of what to expect with change to a van conversion of this type when it’s cold,damp, blowing a hooly and can’t always face on etc. am I getting another “blue job” on a morning from October to March….
Light hearted answers only please  Van conversion condensation 1f600 I know most of you will understand the query and why it’s been asked and the wife wants it anyway so it’s happening
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Van conversion condensation Empty Re: Van conversion condensation

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:20 pm

With regards to the windows, we never experienced a condensation problem in our Warwick Duos. The bonded glass can be a bit colder than the double acrylic windows but not unduly so. Pulling the blinds fixes that and the external windscreen cover sorts the cab area.

A big plus is that the bonded athermic glass is much more secure than the 'plastic' windows which might be regarded as a security weak spot.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

The Bargee, IanH, Bilbobaggins and Sheppy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:38 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:With regards to the windows, we never experienced a condensation problem in our Warwick Duos. The bonded glass can be a bit colder than the double acrylic windows but not unduly so. Pulling the blinds fixes that and the external windscreen cover sorts the cab area.

A big plus is that the bonded athermic glass is much more secure than the 'plastic' windows which might be regarded as a security weak spot.

Agree with all that, and we have been away in some pretty cold and wet conditions. No condensation issues anywhere and we don’t use a screen cover. I too particularly like the security advantages, and the looks, of the athermic glass.

The heating in our Kingham was poorly balanced, with most heat going to the wc compartment. A bit of simple hose rearranging balanced the flows at the rear. The air flow to the front was negligible, and I have just done a small mod there which should improve matters but it is too early to tell how effective that will prove in winter.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sheppy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:51 pm

Thanks guys… I did just try to do a quote reply to Tinwheeler but it disappeared  confused3
Good to hear nothing major to worry about internally.
Agreed I thought the same from security and external looks.
Also would like to think this glass would be far easier to replace if required and even through glass cover but that could be just wishful thinking on my part.
Yes saw the heating on the XL only 3 outlets so maybe a mod to do, thats my 3rd query coming
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Millie The Moocher Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:03 am

Re the athermic windows - we have found them to be fine and not give any problematic levels of condensation. But we find they do get condensation on them when it’s been cold overnight and we’ve had the heating on. 

Also at the other end of the scale, there are only a couple of opening portholes and we worried that it would get stuffy; again, not found this to be a problem even when camping in 30 degree heat.
Millie The Moocher
Millie The Moocher

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Sheppy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:57 am

Like you, our last ,otorhome was an A Class with Alde heating - which was great.

We don't have a major condensation problem, but then the skylights are cranked open slightly at night as I can't sleep without fresh air.  The front can get some condensation, and we carry a very small window vac.  When we use a front external cover, there is no condensation.

We love the look of the athermic glass, but the other side of this coin is that we have found it hotter than normal in hot climate.  We fitted aircon on the roof, and we've used it.
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Sheppy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:40 am

Millie, Rocky
Thanks for the responses and details, does help getting real world answers from people for bits of queries that I’m sure we all have when making these changes to different types/styles of vans
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:18 am

One of the best bits of our 2 Warwick Duos was that glass. Bonded, tinted, can see almost perfectly out hardly possible in.

Zero condensation, ever....

As Tinny says better security too....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:40 am

Thanks IanH
Can defo see the pro’s and the cons don’t seem to be there that I wasn’t sure about
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Millie The Moocher Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:16 pm

Did try to pm you a short video showing the worse condensation we’d encountered, but file was too big. But this screenshot should give you an idea. Basically it was around 5 degrees overnight, heating was on low setting using gas. As it was September the sun rose reasonably early so almost perfect condition for condensation. And this is all we got! Disappeared of its own accord very quickly. 

As @ianh says, the privacy they give is great. Plus as they are factory fitted, the vehicle is rustproofed around the window holes. Whereas a converted van wher the converter cuts the holes out for the windows won’t be protected in the same way.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Millie The Moocher
Millie The Moocher

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:33 pm

Continuing the privacy theme, more than once we had people showing interest in our van and having a good look around outside unaware that we were watching them from inside. They sure jumped when we opened the door hugegrins
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Monty-Plym and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:45 pm

Something else to think about for reducing any condensation is the installation of a Maxxfan extractor in place of the 400x400 roof vents. We've operated one of these for several years and it makes a big difference, particularly for extracting cooking steam. 

They're popular on the DIY van conversions but I've noticed this year that several AS van conversions have had this mod.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheppy Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Thanks guys, yes can see the detail that photo no probs.
Yes good reminder about the Maxxfan have looked at these previously good shout.
Tinwheeler, ha yes that would do it, classic.
I do agree on the privacy and external look is very likeable and different to most others
Cheers Sheppy
Sheppy
Sheppy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:38 am

I'm surprised to read about condensation in the habitation area of van conversions as I have never had any, even in very cold temperatures overnight. I have seen it on the inside of the windscreen and cab side windows occasionally (behind the closed blinds).
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down