The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query

+11
Arron
johndean
v8oholic
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
rgermain
Suppersready
Caraman
Fixer
Cymro
CC
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query  - Page 2 Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query

Post by Caraman Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:03 am

I've just found the DVSA advice I was given in 2020 which helps explain why some motorhomes have a TPMS and others don't:

"A motor Caravan can be built on two chassis configurations, both of which can be extremely similar. The first is an M1 (Passenger) vehicle chassis, the second is an N1 (Goods) vehicle chassis. A good example of this would be the Ford Transit. It is available as both an M1 and N1 variant, although externally it is very difficult to see any differences. If the M1 chassis is chosen by the vehicle convertor, it will generally have a higher specification and be required to meet the highest Type Approval standards. If the N1 chassis is chosen it will generally be to the lower Type approval standards, but will cheaper to purchase. It must however be appreciated that the majority of Motor Caravans are built on the N1 chassis, due to cost considerations.

Now, the more confusing element here is how the vehicle was classified at registration. All Motor Caravans that are new at first registration must be Type Approved. Type Approval can be obtained through several different channels. The first of these is European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA). This is the gold standard of vehicle approval. It is exclusively obtained by major vehicle manufacturers and requires all vehicles to fully meet all the applicable legislation for an M1 (Passenger) vehicle. The next route is National Small Series Type Approval (NSSTA). This is used by smaller manufacturers or vehicle convertors and does allow exemptions from certain M1 requirements. The final route is Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and is open to all manufacturers and vehicle convertors. This allows considerable exemptions from the ECWVTA requirements. As an example, there is no requirement for the vehicle to meet the latest engine emission standards. It also allows the vehicle to be exempt from items such as TPMS, even though it is approved as an M1 vehicle.

So to be absolutely clear here, if the base vehicle was new and has ECWVTA, then it will be fitted with TPMS, if it was NSSTA approved, it probably will have TPMs fitted and if it was IVA approved it is not required to have TPMS fitted, but can be specified by the customer or vehicle convertor as a cost option." 
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:20 am

The van conversions are presumably based on M1 vehicles because the side window variant is intended for use as a minibus. I've seen a few in use as minibuses too, recently. My type approval number is E11*2007/46*0332*06 according to the V5C and this means UK issued, according to directive 2007/46/EC, and then another pair of numbers which are some kind of counter. So it's most likely NSSTA. And no TPMS.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:59 am

It all seems a regulatory mess to me.  Motorcaravans, which I think is the correct legal term for campervans and motorhomes and is well defined, should either have to have a TPMS fitted or not.  To have to fit it to some but not others makes no sense to me.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:20 am

Thanks everyone for all the replies, currently away in the new forest as been back to our motorhome dealer in Kent with our new Broadway so making the most of the trip away from home for a few days. 
up!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:30 am

Caraman wrote:It all seems a regulatory mess to me.  Motorcaravans, which I think is the correct legal term for campervans and motorhomes and is well defined, should either have to have a TPMS fitted or not.  To have to fit it to some but not others makes no sense to me.
If you're really bored you can peruse that directive in full, it's here:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2007/46/oj

It does make reference to motor caravans (and there's a detailed section on requirements where they are called motor-caravans with a hyphen). It does not mention TPMS anywhere that I can see. And it was still being updated in 2020.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:33 am

A couple of years ago, the model descriptions in the Auto-Sleeper catalogue included TPMS for coachbuilts but not for van conversions.
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:39 pm

rgermain wrote:Any idea what year Peugeot started to fit TPMS?. My 2015 has not got it.
My 2021 Broadway EL does not have TPMS

My 2015 Nuevo did and i had all the issues as this post

Also EL (Auto)  does not require foot on brake to start which i think must be unusual.
RG
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:15 pm

Richard G wrote:
My 2021 Broadway EL does not have TPMS

My 2015 Nuevo did and i had all the issues as this post

Also EL (Auto)  does not require foot on brake to start which i think must be unusual.
RG

My MB E Class and Sprinter doesn't need foot on brake to start, but for gear selection.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2