The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query

+11
Arron
johndean
v8oholic
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
rgermain
Suppersready
Caraman
Fixer
Cymro
CC
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query  Empty Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query

Post by CC Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:54 pm

Think I know what the answer is going to be but thought I’d ask anyway. The dealer had set our tyres pressures at 80psi which for me is way too high as the motorhome feels literally like it’s about to self distract driving along, set pressures at 70psi which is much better however the TPMS is now throwing up an error on the dash & a yellow tyre warning lamp with an exclamation mark, it’s also indicating the pressure is considerably lower than it actually is, bizarrely it’s only stating rear left pressure low yet all tyres are set at the same pressure?

On my Mercedes car for example I can set my pressures at whatever I want then store those new pressures without being bugged by messages, however I see no option to do this on the Peugeot dash in the mode menu unless I’m missing something? So I’m presuming these are preset by Peugeot & is not user adjustable?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query  Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query

Post by Cymro Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:28 pm

Ah! A Hardy Perennial question!

As you've discovered (a) the dealer-set tyre pressures are often far too high for the axle masses. Once you know those masses in full holiday mode (weighbridge) and you know your tyre details, you can use the Tyresafe table to calculate what pressure you need for your individual setup; (b) assuming you run the tyres at lower pressures than the dealer set, that will often trigger the TPMS warning because Peugeot set the triggers too high for our needs (as opposed to White Van Man's). And only by paying a Peugeot dealer can you get the TPMS trigger pressures lowered. 

Because I want to run my tyres at 52:77psi, I had my TPMS triggers lowered to 50:69psi - after a great deal of hassle and disclaimers.

Caraman is the go-to expert on this subject.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:34 pm

Peugeot use different systems on different ranges and as far as I know the Boxer system uses the ABS sensors rather than in tyre sensors.
Dealer reset for instant action but if you set them equally (and tyre wear is similar on each corner) and drive for a short distance it should reset automatically
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:17 pm

The Boxer's TPMS has tyre pressure sensors beneath each of its 4 alloy wheels' valves i.e. inside the tyre on the rim.  It does not work through the ABS and is not designed to be set by the driver.  Peugeot dealers are able to adjust the TPMS trigger points and for a charge may do so.  In my case I had to provide a note from Continental (who manufactured my 215/70 R15 109 CP tyres) endorsing the front and rear pressures I wanted to use for my actual axle masses when the van is fully loaded measured on a weighbridge  I used the TyreSafe model which is to use ETRTO pressures for an axle mass that is 10% higher.  The ETRTO pressures for both front and rear CP tyres can be seen in Continental's on-line Data Book.  The on-line TyreSafe calculator will also give you the front ETRTO CP pressures for a front axle mass that is 10% higher but unfortunately it will only give 5.5 bar/ 80 psi for the rear CP tyres.  For my fully loaded low profile Nuevo I currently set the cold tyre pressures at 3.3 bar front and 5.5 bar rear which is about 48 psi front and 80 psi rear.  This is for a fully loaded front axle mass of 1400 kg and rear axle mass of 1900 kg.  The Peugeot tyre pressure label states 5 bar / 72.3 psi front and 5.5 bar / 79.5 psi rear for when each axle is at is maximum permitted mass i.e. 1850 kg front and 2000 kg rear.  This is fine for my rear tyres but is way too high for my front tyres.  If you give me your fully loaded worst case axle masses and tyre size & type I can tell you what pressures I would use and therefore what your front and rear TPMS should be set to.

Front CP tyre pressures are the same or similar to C tyre pressures and therefore should not give an uncomfortable ride at the front where the travelling seats are.  CP motorhome tyres are stronger than C van tyres and at the rear are designed to run at higher pressures.  This is to improve motorhome stability and better withstand the continuous high rear load found on many motorhomes and careless drivers who overload one or both of their rear tyres.  If the rear CP tyres are run at less than their ETRTO recommended pressures for the axle load, the safety benefits of having CP tyres are much reduced.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm

Thanks for the replies, having to rely on Peugeot to reset or alter the TPMS was what I was annoyingly kind of expecting… What I don’t understand is I dropped the tyre pressures straight away when I first got our Broadway home two weeks ago & we’ve had at least two trips away in it without it throwing up this error, so why suddenly out of the blue would it do it today? Also why is it only throwing up the warning for the left rear & not any of the others?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:59 pm

Both rear TPMS have never worked on my van,  however the front two are extremely sensitive … maybe the system is flawed ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:15 pm

CC wrote:Thanks for the replies, having to rely on Peugeot to reset or alter the TPMS was what I was annoyingly kind of expecting… What I don’t understand is I dropped the tyre pressures straight away when I first got our Broadway home two weeks ago & we’ve had at least two trips away in it without it throwing up this error, so why suddenly out of the blue would it do it today? Also why is it only throwing up the warning for the left rear & not any of the others?
Unfortunately, the in wheel sensors that Caraman has said are fitted are unreliable and may be faulty. Double check the pressures on the rear axle as they have to match closely to keep the warning light off.
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:26 pm

If your Broadway EB hasn't been up-plated, the TPMS will have been set by Peugeot around cold tyre pressures of 5 bar front and 5.5 bar rear.  I found that if a lower cold tyre pressure is used it doesn't trigger the TPMS immediately and it may not trigger it at all if the pressure isn't low enough.  By experimenting it's possible to find out how much lower the cold tyre pressure can be before the TPMS eventually triggers noting that tyres warm up when they are driven on which increases their pressure.  

If you have the same tyres as me and your worst case rear axle mass is 1854 kg or above, there is definitely no need to change your rear TPMS setting of 5.5 bar/80 psi.  Even if you run your rear tyres at a slightly lower cold tyre pressure, perhaps because you have a lower rear axle mass, it won't trigger the rear TPMS.  As for your front axle, I can only guess that its worst case mass is going to be something like 1550 kg (if A-S's mass in running order of 1409 kg is correct).  This being so, 3.75 bar/54 psi would be about right.  All pressures are for an axle mass that is 10% higher.  From experience Continental will give you similar pressures but they will be lower as all they do is compare your axle masses to their Data Book and give you the next higher pressure increment from their table, which won't always be 10% higher, and they will assume you never exceed your axle mass and your axle load is always balanced equally between the two tyres which it wont be.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:23 am

Any idea what year Peugeot started to fit TPMS?. My 2015 has not got it.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:39 am

rgermain wrote:Any idea what year Peugeot started to fit TPMS?. My 2015 has not got it.
I think its to do with the way a van becomes a motorhome, registration, type approval et al which I don't fully understand but someone else on the Forum might.  So some vans like the Nuevo & Broadway and perhaps all the coachbuilts have to have a working factory fitted TPMS but other vans like PVCs don't.  TPMSs are not normally fitted to commercial vans and if they are its an optional extra.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:54 pm

rgermain wrote:Any idea what year Peugeot started to fit TPMS?. My 2015 has not got it.

N1 vehicles (up to 3500kg), had TPMS fitted for new Type Approvals after 1/11/2012, old type approvals came in 1/11/2014. So a van sold to AS before 1/11/2012 or 14 depending on when TA obtained are nor required to have TPMS. A old TA van after conversion but sold to final customer in 2015 might not have it. Some manufacturers fitted before the mandatory dates.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

CC and Cymro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:08 pm

My 2015 (March) does have it.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:23 pm

You should count your blessings you haven't got it judging by the problems it throws up.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

CC and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:13 pm

An ABS TPMS is infinitely better.  It’s cheaper to maintain and triggers when one tyre deflates more than the other on the axle which is all you need.  It wouldn’t be so bad though if converters - A-S - in our case, reviewed the trigger pressures points in conjunction with the tyre manufacturer and then asked Peugeot to change them as part of the Stage 2 or Stage 3 approval process.  The only UK converter I am aware of who does this is Bailey who set far more sensible front tyre pressures.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:40 pm

My 2021 van does not have it. Thankfully.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 pm

v8oholic wrote:My 2021 van does not have it. Thankfully.
Well that blows the regulations quoted out the window unless they don't apply to vans (as commercial vehicles).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

v8oholic and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer TPMS Query  Empty TPMS

Post by johndean Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:22 pm

Hi my 2019 Fairford doesn’t have TPMS thank god after the problems I had with it on my 2017 Nuevo.
I was fairly lucky my son runs a large Peugeot main dealer and got his technician to adjust it to correct pressure no further problems after that , he did the adjustment free of charge.
JohnDeank
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Arron Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:15 am

An ABS TPMS is infinitely better. 

A tyre pressure gauge better still.
Arron

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive SE 2.8L
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:25 am

Arron wrote:

A tyre pressure gauge better still.
A good point.

A TPMS is no substitute for checking the cold tyre pressures before the vehicle is driven with a tyre gauge at least every month, before every long journey and if there has been a large change in air temperature since the last time it was checked.  I add that last point because earlier this year I set pressures at the start of a trip when it was about -7C but within a few days it was 10C and I had to let air out of the tyres and the rear tyres in particular that were over their maximum permitted cold tyre pressure.

A tyre pressure gauge and a pump are essential items to have in the van whether it has a TPMS or not.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:28 pm

I was pleased when my 21 reg Fiat was supplied without tmps.

Don't know how I managed to drive for nie on 50 years without this system.

When you have a blow out during the rush hour on the m6 you don't need a light to come on, the state of your underpants will tell you all you need to know smile!

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek

CC, Arron and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:34 pm

breakaleg wrote:I was pleased when my 21 reg Fiat was supplied without tmps.

Don't know how I managed to drive for nie on 50 years without this system.

When you have a blow out during the rush hour on the m6 you don't need a light to come on, the state of your underpants will tell you all you need to know smile!

Pete
That's interesting.  I got the impression that my Nuevo had it because it was a legal requirement but your's doesn't  shrugg
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:41 pm

Yes I was surprised as well.

they told me that the you had no choice when I had the Peugeot. that was new in 2015 so I naturally expected it on this van but as I say I ain't complaining.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:42 pm

Plus the van has just passed the MOT. and no mention of it at the Fiat garage.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:43 pm

Maybe the vans are class N2. TMPS only became mandatory for that and other higher classes from Jan 2024

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

CC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:04 am

I think it was when changed  from euro 5 to uero 6
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next