The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Tank

4 posters

Go down

Water Tank Empty Water Tank

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Anyone know where we might find a replacement (new or 2nd hand) fresh water tank for a 2002 Topaz?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Water Tank Empty Re: Water Tank

Post by DaveyP2004 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 pm

I guess I would be contacting Autosleeper first. If thy dont have one they may be able to tell you who supplied them.

Other than that you could try Cak Tanks here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cheers,
Dave
( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
DaveyP2004
DaveyP2004

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Topaz LE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks Dave.

I have sent an email to AS and Cak Tanks and have also found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who also say the do repairs.

Will post progress on here idc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am

makfai wrote:Thanks Dave.

I have sent an email to AS and Cak Tanks and have also found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who also say the do repairs.

Will post progress on here idc.

I will be interested to know how you go on as I believe i've damaged the same tank on my Duetto.

Ask 'em if they do 'two for the price of one' and i'll split the cost with you! hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 am

CAK recently replaced the fresh tank on my 94 Trident. I'm lucky as I live locally, but they did a top job and have very impressive facilities to work in. Was about £200 all in.
Water Tank 2012-06-15090730
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:54 am

Peel wrote:CAK recently replaced the fresh tank on my 94 Trident. I'm lucky as I live locally, but they did a top job and have very impressive facilities to work in. Was about £200 all in.

Blimey.......hardly surprising they have 'impressive facilities'!! hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Peel I don't think that is too pricey based on what I ordered from AS. Autosleeper said: 'The tank does look like a WT0116 but it is difficult to tell, not an easy thing to photograph something underneath the van. However a WT0116 costs £122.58 + VAT each. Please contact us on (01386) 842630 to order.' So by the time you have paid for the fitter's time £200 all-in looks OK to me.

Although AS had the tank they no longer have the drain tap. AS said that their current taps were not long enough to fit through the tank and to be secured with the fixing nut inside the tank. AS said that I should contact a local Home Brew supplier as the AS plastic taps were similar to that used in brewing casks etc. AS said I needed a 3/4" BSP but that the threaded part which goes into the tank should be about 'one inch plus'. Have seen plenty of taps but not of 1" or more. Any suggestions welcomed.

Am also looking to replace the tap on the grey water tank.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Have found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - they say the threaded part is 1". Will see if it is OK. The Hozelock end may be a useful feature but would probably be too narrow for a waste tank.

Will update next week when try to fit it!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:57 pm

makfai wrote:Although AS had the tank they no longer have the drain tap. AS said that their current taps were not long enough to fit through the tank and to be secured with the fixing nut inside the tank. AS said that I should contact a local Home Brew supplier as the AS plastic taps were similar to that used in brewing casks etc. AS said I needed a 3/4" BSP but that the threaded part which goes into the tank should be about 'one inch plus'. Have seen plenty of taps but not of 1" or more. Any suggestions welcomed.

Am also looking to replace the tap on the grey water tank.

Personally i'd be tempted to try and find a brass tap if possible. The plastic ones are OK but tend to wear with use. The only thing to wear on a brass tap is the washer.....and that should take a very long time.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Personally i'd be tempted to try and find a brass tap if possible. The plastic ones are OK but tend to wear with use. The only thing to wear on a brass tap is the washer.....and that should take a very long time.

I agree. I did not say earlier but I have also emailed 'peter@akrovalve.com' who put up a post some time ago advertising just what you suggest. Still waiting for a reply.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:51 pm

makfai wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

I agree. I did not say earlier but I have also emailed 'peter@akrovalve.com' who put up a post some time ago advertising just what you suggest. Still waiting for a reply.

Local Plumbers merchant any use?

Let me know what you 'dig up' as i'm looking to replace my tap once i've found what/where the damage to my tank is. Can't do anything until i'm back in UK end of September but at least it is holding some water. The leak appears to be somewhere at the top fortunately as it only drips on a full tank.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Water Tank Empty Dripping Tank

Post by DaveyP2004 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi Bulletguy,
You said "The leak appears to be somewhere at the top fortunately as it only drips on a full tank.
"

As far as I know some fresh water tanks have some kind of "hole" at the top so that if it is overfilled the water just comes out and maybe also to make it easier to fill as the air is released as the water fills up the tank.

Maybe someone who as taken the tank out can confirm that this is how it is on Autosleeper campers but I know it was like this on another "well known" conversion I had.

Cheers,
Dave
DaveyP2004
DaveyP2004

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Topaz LE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Local Plumbers merchant any use?

Let me know what you 'dig up' as i'm looking to replace my tap once i've found what/where the damage to my tank is. Can't do anything until i'm back in UK end of September but at least it is holding some water. The leak appears to be somewhere at the top fortunately as it only drips on a full tank.
Local plumbers merchant may well be find but I wanted (if it would work out) to support someone who was on this Forum. The gentleman has emailed to say he is away in France until Monday so we will see what he comes up with once he is back.

I would have just got a tap from AS but, as I said, the length of the threaded part of AS's current stock tap is not long enough for the older tanks like mine but is OK for the newer versions (not sure when the thickness changed).

Will keep updating once I have some news.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 am

My tap on the foul tank has a crack in the casing.

I would be interested in a source of supply too.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:10 pm

DaveyP2004 wrote:Hi Bulletguy,
You said "The leak appears to be somewhere at the top fortunately as it only drips on a full tank.
"

As far as I know some fresh water tanks have some kind of "hole" at the top so that if it is overfilled the water just comes out and maybe also to make it easier to fill as the air is released as the water fills up the tank.

Cheers,
Dave

Yes they all have breather vents at the top to enable filling. I'm fairly positive it's not that as the drip continues long after i've filled the tank.

My van took 'a bit of a bang' when driving a badly potholed unlit road in Bulgaria at night a few weeks ago. No visible damage though i've not been underneath (i'm too old for that now!). The lesson here being don't drive in Bulgaria at night! Tap to the freshwater tank also needs a new washer as that was leaking when I left UK though managed to make a temporary 'fix' with the aid of of some sealant.

I'm interested in this thread as 1) my tank will need replacing or repairing, and 2) i'm looking at trying to replace the rubbish plastic tap with a brass one. Cost will only be a little more than a plastic one and I really don't know why AS didn't fit something more substantial in the first place.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
I'm interested in this thread as 1) my tank will need replacing or repairing, and 2) i'm looking at trying to replace the rubbish plastic tap with a brass one. Cost will only be a little more than a plastic one and I really don't know why AS didn't fit something more substantial in the first place.

I have wondered - and not yet asked anybody who I could trust 100% - whether fitting a brass tap to a plastic tank will cause any problems with contraction/expansion being different for brass/plastic scratch head
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:59 pm

makfai wrote:
I have wondered - and not yet asked anybody who I could trust 100% - whether fitting a brass tap to a plastic tank will cause any problems with contraction/expansion being different for brass/plastic scratch head

Any qualified metallurgists on the forum? hugegrins hugegrins

Only thing I have experienced during this trip is i've never had to use the water heater for hot water.........the weather did it for me! smile!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down