The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Ideas Required

+9
MalMonty
Rocky
The Bargee
bikeralw
Bilbobaggins
Tinwheeler
Roopert
IanH
Bill
13 posters

Go down

Some Ideas Required Empty Some Ideas Required

Post by Bill Fri May 24, 2024 9:48 am

After nearly 50 years touring in a 4 berth caravan I found the space really limited in my 2017 Symbol even though I now travel on my own.  I found this forum invaluable to me for help and advice, most of which I followed, and would like to thank all members that contributed.
Just a couple of less important issues that I would welcome comments on.  Where to people put their rubbish bins ?  I have put a small pedal bin in the shower room, as suggested, which does work, but is such a faff on keep going in to the shower room.  I did buy a bin that hangs on the cupboard door but seem to keep knocking it off.  
Also, as advised, I use the small wardrobe to  hang some canvas hanging shelves in which I put my clothes in zipped bags but where do people in a Symbol put things like rainwear or heavier Winter coats ?
I would appreciate any comments.  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Some Ideas Required Empty Re: Some Ideas Required

Post by IanH Fri May 24, 2024 10:20 am

Hi Bill

Not a Symbol, but this would work in most vans, indeed has in our case...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bin couldn't be simpler, or cheaper.
Inside the vacuum bag are 3 heavy duty anorak sized winter coats, they live in our van overcab space, would just as easily be under a bed for example.
You can get vac bags with a handpump nowadays so need for a hoover....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 am

As above, I don't have a Symbol, but have also resorted to a simple large plastic bag for rubbish - it takes up almost no space when empty (obviously) and it can be squashed into any irregular space when it's got stuff in it.

I also converted the hanging wardrobe into shelf space - much more efficient use of space for clothing. No good if you have a dinner jacket with you for evenings in the restaurant but... I don't!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri May 24, 2024 10:42 am

I’m pleased to have pointed you towards ASOF, Bill, and glad you’ve found it useful. I told you they’re a helpful bunch  smile! 

Ours was a Warwick Duo rather than a Symbol but we used to place a small bin between the cab seats when pitched and moved it to the washroom when on the move. 

We abandoned big coats for Macs in bags, fleeces and padded jackets that packed into their own little pouches and mostly stored in door pockets.

Last edited by Tinwheeler on Fri May 24, 2024 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri May 24, 2024 10:45 am

Agree that bin bag can go anywhere, in our WXL we have a hook set at correct height for bag to just be off floor. Shelved wardrobe, and when we needed to take hanging stuff down to London last year, and when I use the van as mobile dressing room for orchestral concerts hanging stuff is on coat hangers that are hung from top barn door catches, readily accessible and can be moved to back if swivel passenger chair when in site and want barn doors open

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri May 24, 2024 11:42 am

Same as others here regarding a bag on two hooks on the inside of a door. A roll of small cheap disposable bags takes up no room. We even use this method in our new kitchen at home. Far more hygienic than having a bespoke bin which soon gets its nooks and crannies dirty even when using a liner.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri May 24, 2024 12:57 pm

I keep finding little places for hooks. One good place is behind the shower bulkhead and high level cupboards, in the narrow gap between these walls and the rear doors. We have fitted several hooks there for coats, and the awning handle clips there nicely as well. Similarly we have hooks on the panel behind the cab overhead (above the hab door) for everyday coats and jumpers. Layouts and individual dimensions will vary so I can’t be specific for the Symbol.

Our small rubbish bin, just big enough for a supermarket carrier bag, goes in the deep drawer under the oven, together with the air cooker, all wedged with various bottles, when travelling.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Fri May 24, 2024 1:28 pm

Hello Bill,

Like Tinwheeler, we have a small bin that sits between the front seats, tucked up against the rear of the drivers seat.  It seems to sit there quite comfortably on the move too.  This is the one we have used for some time, it uses 10 litre disposable bags:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With regard to coats and rainwear, when they are wet they are on a hanger in the shower, but when dry in the wardrobe.  If you are travelling alone, I would have though you would have enough wardrobe space - unless you take more clothes than my wife!   lol4
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

bikeralw and Bill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Fri May 24, 2024 2:17 pm

We've been thinking about ideas for bins too. We've a small bin under the sink, used mainly when on the move. For the times when we park up for the night, or on site, we were looking at the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Looks an ideal solution and will probably try to come up with a DIY version, as £40 is a wee bit steep for this for a Scotsman.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarjar Fri May 24, 2024 5:53 pm

In our Symbol we hang a carrier bag on one of the front seatbelt tensioners and dispose of it daily. Big coats are on hooks stuck on the outside of the back of the bathroom wall, if you look at the profile of the wall you will see there is plenty of space if the hooks are placed correctly - and enough room to get your hand in to hang/remove the coat. We have about twenty various hooks and eyes spread around the van.
Jarjar
Jarjar

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat May 25, 2024 7:29 am

We always washed and separated recycles then used a small bag finding it easier to dispose of in bins with a letterbox opening. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 am

I admit storage in our Duetto took a bit of thinking and it’s been a while since we bought the Rienza and have we have more room for storage but we still find simple ideas to help.
We had a bag in the bottom of the wardrobe for washing that was always blocking management getting her clothes box out. I bought some stick on hooks to replace one we hung the keys on so looking for uses of the rest I put one on the inside of the wardrobe door for the washing bag.
The bin is alongside the toilet but trying to keep recycling separate until we can find the correct bins needs further thought. Maybe another stick on hook.
For the size of the Rienza coats are hung next to habitation door. As much as they get in the way I can’t find anywhere better. If they are wet as others they are hung in the shower. Then using the toilet means being dripped on by a wet coat.
No matter what make and model of motorhome there’s never going to be a perfect solution to storage to suite individual needs unless it’s a self build I think.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat May 25, 2024 9:46 am

What a great forum this is, even though our Worcester has masses of  space for storage some really good ideas above.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Bill and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 25, 2024 4:43 pm

I spent a whole five minutes sussing out the issue of were to put the recycling bag. A stick on hook wouldn’t work because the paneling in the washroom is textured and the hooks are a bit small.
Trying to find a solution I moved the shower curtain. There is a bracket near the bottom and the top to hold the curtain back. Management uses the top one for her soap bag the lower bracket is redundant because it puts the curtain over the rubbish bin. This gives me a bracket to hang a bag on.
After all the years we have had the Rienza I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before. As to the coat hooks they had been removed and put in a locker before we bought the van meaning the last owners managed without coat hooks. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

Back to top Go down