The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Trooper 1999.

3 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Trooper 1999.  Empty Autosleeper Trooper 1999.

Post by Gadgiefrank Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hoping someone out there can assist with a clutch issue. The clutch failed and on investigation I found what appear to be tool marks on the pipe next to the top bleed valve. It had obviously been like that for a while and finally gave way, squirting fluid out as became obvious when I tried bleeding the system. Had the van around 11 months. The question is, how to repair/replace. It looks like a small section from the bleed valve across and down to a junction before it travels to the master cylinder in the footwell.  Hoping for a relatively straightforward solution from you fine folks, but if it has to be mobile or transport to garage then so be it.
Gadgiefrank
Gadgiefrank

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Trooper 1999.  Empty Re: Autosleeper Trooper 1999.

Post by T25Pete Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Morning Gadgiefrank, sorry not an answer to your problem. I think that you may be better off on a VW Forum like the T4 T5 site. Far more owners with loads more experience. 
Hope you get it sorted with the minimum of grief.
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadgiefrank Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Yes, I thought I may need to cast the net. Thanks T25Pete for the heads up.
Gadgiefrank
Gadgiefrank

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

From what I can see in your photos, you could dismantle the section of pipe from the bleed valve down to the junction and take it to a garage who could make up a new pipe.    Is it the pipe itself that's leaking, or is it from behind the nut.   I assume you've tried nipping up the nut a bit to see if it seals it......   or   .... measure the pipe and go to a motor factors who will sell you a suitable length ready made.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadgiefrank Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

Good questions there. The oil was squirting from where the toolmarks are, in advance of the thread and nut. It wouldn't move when I (rather tentatively) tried to nip it. Appreciate the idea on the pipe. I'm wondering whether there's a possibility to use flexible braided hose for this to get around the matching issue. There aren't any moving parts on the route so if possible it'd be a case of matching the end fittings up I suppose. In any event, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Gadgiefrank
Gadgiefrank

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Might be a possibility, but if you get a flexi with two male ends, you then have a problem screwing it in ..... the first one is okay but the second one would then start to twist the flexi as you screwed it home.    Still think a new made up pipe is the answer and the pipe is fairly soft and can be bent to fit.    Good luck
BobK
BobK

Male

Gadgiefrank likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

double post
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadgiefrank Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

Just as a follow up that might help any T4 based Van owners, I've discovered the reason for the "tool" marks on the pipe as it goes into the upper bleed valve. The wiper motor linkage rubs it when switched on and has obviously been doing this for a good long while, gradually rubbing the pipe until it's finally worn away enough to pinhole under pressure. As to why a 25 year old vehicle has done this now is one for the ages. The clutch was replaced, windscreen replaced, welding on the scuttle, all sorts that could have led to things being "rearranged" ever so slightly. I picked this one up on the T4 forum & checked my own vehicle. It certainly seems to have been a known issue.
Gadgiefrank
Gadgiefrank

Male

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadgiefrank Thu May 23, 2024 8:46 am

Another update on this. Turns out that a retaining clip holding 5 pipes attached to the bulkhead had come loose putting the clutch hydraulic pipe into the path of the wiper linkage. I sourced a replacement section of pipe from a breaker, no leaks. Nearly there now. I hope!
Gadgiefrank
Gadgiefrank

Male

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down