The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External BBQ

+3
Cymro
Rocky
cibaker
7 posters

Go down

External BBQ Empty External BBQ

Post by cibaker Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:26 pm

I am thinking of getting a BBQ/cooker suitable to connect to the external gas point. 
Have been looking at the Cadac range but I would be interested in recommendations of which model to go for or indeed any alternatives. 
Obviously it would need to be compact as storage space is at a premium in the Duo.
cibaker
cibaker

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

External BBQ Empty Re: External BBQ

Post by Rocky Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 am

We went through same dilemma.  We have same layout as you and do not have space to carry much more than the Safari Chef.  Packs down neatly into storage bag, but still will take up quite a bit of space under seat.

Also depends on how many you want to cook for, and types of food you want to cook,

We have had the Safari Chef now for about six years and it has never let me down, always started first time, and cooks well.  Get the pizza stone as an extra, that's good as well.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:14 am

I had the big Carri-Chef 50. It's excellent. But it is heavy and takes a lot of room. We sold it (no problem) and bought the little Chef 30. As we only cook for two, it's equally good, albeit that it sits much lower 0 which means that I can sit along side it giving the food the occasional prod. It takes up very much less room when stored, and weighs less.

I don't regret the change.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:09 am

I've not tried a Cadac which are clearly popular and therefore must be good.  However, over 30+ years I have tried many gas, electric and charcoal alternatives and found a simple George Foreman grill takes some beating.  I have just treated myself to a new one as the old one had lost much of its non-stick through over vigorous cleaning.  The new one is an Immersa grill which should be easier to clean.  Its very compact and easy to store and is quick to use but not so quick that I can't sit outside watching it with a glass of wine which is my main contribution to the cooking  External BBQ 1f605
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:53 pm

We have a Cadac 2 Cook 2 gas BBQ for the two of us. It has two burners that comes with a single flat hotplate and one ridged hotplate. We also have a small wok that can be heated by one of the gas burners. I've been very happy with it's performance and it doesn't take up that much room. I did make up a longer gas pipe, normally the gas pipe is rather short, possibly to prevent an accident if someone trip over it when walking between the gas outlet and the BBQ. I am more concerned about moving the BBQ away from the awning should any hot fat catch on fire.

It comes into its own in hot weather to allow cooking outside however, we had two holidays when it was too windy outside on a few days.

I also bought a single Vango induction hob, so we can cook outside using power from the campsite's EHU, which I would also recommend.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RalphHughes Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 am

We used to have the big Cadac when we had a caravan and the whole family coming with us, now it's just 2 of us
We've been using the safari chef for 7 years now, great bi of kit and packs away into its own little bag for easy storage/transportation

RalphHughes

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

cibaker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowwolf Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:39 am

Caraman wrote:I've not tried a Cadac which are clearly popular and therefore must be good.  However, over 30+ years I have tried many gas, electric and charcoal alternatives and found a simple George Foreman grill takes some beating.  I have just treated myself to a new one as the old one had lost much of its non-stick through over vigorous cleaning.  The new one is an Immersa grill which should be easier to clean.  Its very compact and easy to store and is quick to use but not so quick that I can't sit outside watching it with a glass of wine which is my main contribution to the cooking  External BBQ 1f605
Does the grill run off the external gas outlet ?
Snowwolf
Snowwolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:26 am

Snowwolf wrote:
Does the grill run off the external gas outlet ?
No.  It plugs into the external mains socket.  It's rated at 1100W/220V and 1300W/240V so I reckon it draws between 5A and 5.5A but is rated at 6A.  It heats up and cooks quickly so I suppose if you had an inverter and extra LB & solar it could be used off-grid but we only use it on an EHU.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down