The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front heating vents (Symbol Plus)

+7
malc45
rogerblack
v8oholic
Snowwolf
glyne lock
Tinwheeler
quentinsf
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Front heating vents (Symbol Plus) Empty Front heating vents (Symbol Plus)

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:02 am

Having had our Symbol Plus only since the spring, we're just now starting to experiment with the heating system.  I find it can turn the kitchen area into a nice sauna, while the front vents, in the step behind the cab seats, emit a slight hint of a gentle warm breath.

I thought perhaps the ducts might be loose, or crushed under something in the under-sofa-storage... but they look fine. So I'm wondering whether I'm expecting too much from the long, rather thin pipes? (Or perhaps I haven't waited long enough.)

Does anyone get a nice warm blast around their feet from the heating?  (Like I used to get from the Webasto in our old Bilbos T5.) If not, I may need to volunteer to do the washing up more often!

Some of this, no doubt, is due to the fact that the butterfly throttle valve thing in the vent near the sink keeps falling out, so it's hard to restrict the air flowing that way, and that is the outlet with the biggest and shortest pipe.  I'm trying to fix that too. :-)
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Front heating vents (Symbol Plus) Empty Re: Front heating vents (Symbol Plus)

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am

It sounds as if the dodgy adjuster may be allowing too much hot air into the rear of the van and starving the front. Add to that the longer pipe run to the front and you can see why you’re chilly in the lounge area. To make matters worse, the cab is always the coldest spot and a good insulated windscreen cover can help with this.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

quentinsf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:56 am

Thanks - that's a good reminder... I used to have a Silverscreen windscreen cover for my T5 and it was great.  I'll have a look at Boxer pricing...
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:47 am

…..yep, Silverscreen or Taylormade. They can sometimes be found for sale second hand. I sold one on ASOF.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:11 pm

on the heater the position of the longer pipes are they at the top or bottom as there is a correct position to help with your problem
I have done a mod to help blow the heat to the front that can be seen on my kemerton xl improvement post

Last edited by glyne lock on Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowwolf Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:47 pm

Also having a draught excluder like a long towel pushed down at the bottom of the side sliding door, makes a hell of a difference in that area, took me two years to figure out how much cold air was coming in from the bottom of sliding door
Snowwolf
Snowwolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:38 pm

glyne lock wrote:on the heater the position of the longer pipes are they at the top or bottom as there is a correct position to help with your problem
I have done a mod to help blow the heat to the front that can be seen on my kemerton xl improvement post

Hi Glyne  - Ah, I've found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - that looks good!

We have two long thin pipes going to the front.  They come out of the right-hand side of the heater, where I see they are nicely lagged:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And they run along the back of the sofa cupboard:

And then, behind the driver's seat, they turn under the raised floor:

And they emerge at the vents (which I'll need to put in a follow-up reply because of the three-image limit :-) )
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:41 pm

Here are the front vents.  One has a grill, and one a closable vent.  I guess perhaps they need to leave one which can't be closed off. (Unless it's an inlet...)

quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:48 pm

I have put the silver pipe tape to keep the heat in the pipes and they say the longer pipes should bet fitted to the top as they would get more heat . This is what I would do with out reading that should be done it may only be a small gain  but it all helps .the mod I have done you could put a tee fitting and the vent as I have done and would be a great help
I see you have the grey that they put when they did a repair to mine but then had to have a black made as mine is black and the grey did not look right
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:17 pm

quentinsf wrote:Here are the front vents.  One has a grill, and one a closable vent.  I guess perhaps they need to leave one which can't be closed off. (Unless it's an inlet...)

Is the grille one fed from the cab heater? It is in my Symbol I think.

I’m surprised to see how small those pipes are. In my van which has the later Whale heating, the pipes must be twice the diameter.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:33 pm

It may also help reduce potential draughts a bit if you put the cab (base vehicle) air inlet/heater control into recirculation position.

Also check around the fridge, that was a horrendous source of draughts on our Pollensa until I sealed around it.

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo/clarification)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:38 pm

Hi, I think you will find the grill one is not connected to anything, if ours is anything to go by.
malc45
malc45
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:53 pm

v8oholic wrote:Is the grille one fed from the cab heater? It is in my Symbol I think.

Well, it would make sense.  Though I'm not sure it works very well: my mother got cold while sitting back there last week! (She was the first to try riding in the back.) Will experiment.  But mostly I wonder, if that *is* fed from the cab, then where does the second of my two pipes go?

v8oholic wrote:I’m surprised to see how small those pipes are. In my van which has the later Whale heating, the pipes must be twice the diameter.

Yes, I was surprised. The pipes are much larger as they come off the heater, but narrow down considerably both for this long run and for the one going into the bathroom.  The one to the kitchen vent stays large, which is presumably another reason why most of the heat comes out that way.

I wonder if both of those thin pipes combine into the one vent, and they did it this way instead of using one big pipe because of space constraints behind the fridge?

I wonder how easy it would be to take off the panel under the step which has the vents in to have a look...
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:09 pm

v8oholic wrote:

Is the grille one fed from the cab heater? It is in my Symbol I think.

I’m surprised to see how small those pipes are. In my van which has the later Whale heating, the pipes must be twice the diameter.
Put the vehicle fan going and see if you get air blow out .to get a pipe from the vehicle heater to there would be good to see
Some campers use the same section as my camper with 2 outlets but only one is used the other is a vent
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Front heating vents (Symbol Plus) Empty The answer is revealed

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:04 pm

Well, I did some digging, and look what I found!  The vents are indeed each connected to a pipe from the heater:

So two of the four outlets from the heater at the back are fed into thin pipes, run almost the length of the van...

including a rather tight turn there behind the driver's seat:

then across to the middle of the van, and whatever flow still remains is then expanded into a wide tube before exiting, so it's not too surprising that I'm not exactly feeling a jet of hot air coming out!

But the good news is that by the time I'd opened up all of this, and constrained the flow from the big vent at the back, things had warmed up and there was just enough warmth coming out of these that I could see they could actually make some very modest contribution to the heating of the van!

Also, I found two loose screws and a 50p piece under the floor, so that should reduce the rattles, and I even made a profit!
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:11 pm

I would look to fitting larger pipe and insulate with multi foil insulation. I did our Stanway with 65mm pipe, The heater is at the o/s rear and it made a huge difference. The flaps were removed at the front.
Rob
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:15 pm

You can move the cables away from the heater pipes clean what was not done from new and not come out by the side door .tidy the great light wiring .lights I have never used they are so great
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:20 pm

Thanks Rob, yes, I'd like to do that, but everything is built and fitted to leave a gap suitable for pipes that size. 

Between the heater and the sofa is the fridge, and I wonder whether there's room behind it for bigger pipes, for example.  But perhaps the Stanway has the same arrangement, so you might have found out?  Do I just need a big hole saw? :-)

I haven't looked to see whether it's easy to get behind the fridge...
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:28 pm

glyne lock wrote:You can move the cables away from the heater pipes clean what was not done from new and not come out by the side door .tidy the great light wiring .lights I have never used they are so great

Yes, if I took the one with the longest run -- the one by the door -- and instead diverted the pipe under the sofa to come out at a new vent at the front of the sofa, like you did, it would at least have a shorter run, and I could probably at least use 65mm piping for the stretch under the sofa too...

Mmm.  Will ponder...
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:41 pm

For the parts cost could position one pipe as you have said .my mod puts hot air towards the front seats and makes it much warmer to sit there. I don’t post all my mods but do when it will help others
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:17 pm

quentinsf wrote:Thanks Rob, yes, I'd like to do that, but everything is built and fitted to leave a gap suitable for pipes that size. 

Between the heater and the sofa is the fridge, and I wonder whether there's room behind it for bigger pipes, for example.  But perhaps the Stanway has the same arrangement, so you might have found out?  Do I just need a big hole saw? :-)

I haven't looked to see whether it's easy to get behind the fridge...
 I removed the fridge vent and used a 65mm holesaw just above the boxed in pipe work each side, not easy but doable with care. I removed both pipes from the boxed in section and fitted one 65mm pipe and the 2nd one through the new holes. I did cut out the floor inside the twin door cupboard to the right of the fridge. This enabled fitting pipework with ease. Under the new removable floor I also fitted the Shureflo pump. The bathroom pipework was badly kinked at a bend so with a bit of work a 65mm pipe was fitted. All pipe was insulated.

Rob
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:56 pm

So much of this forum is about giving people the confidence to try things! Somebody else managed this, so I probably could too!

Thanks, Rob!
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:10 pm

quentinsf wrote:Well, I did some digging, and look what I found!  The vents are indeed each connected to a pipe from the heater:

How interesting, it seems they must have redesigned it by the time mine was built. Those fat pipes are the same size as the single pipe that runs to the two outlets which are at either end of the sofa in my van. It terminates at the frontmost one, so no pipe runs into the step from there, so I assume they have abandoned that idea.

Of course I’m now thinking that looks like a useful storage space smile!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 pm

Oooh. Yes. Shoes, or something. 

Of course, I’d need the extra storage if I started filling my sofa up with pipework…. 🙂
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 pm

“Of course I’m now thinking that looks like a useful storage space”

Off topic but a few of us have fitted access to that step for storage, very useful especially in a Symbol.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next