The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation Aircon

+9
Monty-Plym
Sally
Tinwheeler
AutoSleepy_Don
Rocky
Paulmold
IanH
Toffee
doodlebus
13 posters

Go down

Habitation Aircon Empty Habitation Aircon

Post by doodlebus Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:59 pm

Hi,

Our 2021 Fairford Plus has served us well this summer- Highlands and Islands of Scotland, Cornwall and Northumberland absolutely fantastic with Eurotrips being planned for next year 

Had some van envy when an auto sleepers parked beside us with hab aircon aircon, I’m thinking this would be great for electrical hook up sites in the warmer climates 

Has anyone on the forum had an aftermarket unit fitted?

Advice please

Dave
doodlebus
doodlebus

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford Plus
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Habitation Aircon Empty Re: Habitation Aircon

Post by Toffee Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:30 pm

No but I find the fairford with the skylights open a lovely cool temp in France at 36 degrees. The only time we have been too warm in Europe is at night if it rains and the skylights cannot be left open. However this was resolved with a fan.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:32 pm

I believe quite a few on here have removed them....... scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:37 pm

My Sussex had it as standard but it failed and can't be regassed so instead of a new one at £2000, I had a rooflight fitted in its place at £300, so now if it gets too warm, I can open up a third rooflight , it also lightens up the inside. We don't go abroad so it's rare to really need aircon in UK.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm

Yes,  a couple of times on previous MoHo's.

As long as you have a suitable 400 x 400 skylight that you are prepared to give up, it's not a problem.

Have had both Dometic and Truma  before, and would always choose the Truma Aventa, IMHO its more effective and certainly quieter.

Last one I had fitted at Notts County Campers, near Mansfield (Simon on 07837 132512).   Good price, great communicator, and never a problem afterwards.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:54 pm

I have the Truma Aventa Comfort on my Warwick Duo.  It is AS factory fitment and I don't think you can go wrong with it though I know Truma also do a smaller unit.

Side windows don't open and the blinds blow out if you open the roof vents.
I would not be without hab A/C despite the fact that it only gets used for a few weeks each year.

HTH up!
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:27 pm

We had the Truma Aventa Comfort on a Warwick Duo MQ but never used it in anger. We found it annoying with the constant noise, even in its quiet mode, but may have succumbed to using it in baking temps. I’m always conscious of noise annoying others too.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:06 pm

I have the Dometic habitation Aircon on my Sussex Duo and I really enjoy it. I would definitely miss it if I didn’t have it and just had it repaired. I was seriously considering getting a replacement if the repair wasn’t possible.  But others do well without it, so its horses for courses.
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:01 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We have a Truma Aventa Comfort which was supposed to be fitted as standard on our 2020 Warwick XL, when the van was first delivered to Marquis Devon, the aircon unit was missing and Marquis fitted it, like an aftermarket unit.  Unfortunately Marquis didn't seal it correctly and I had a six month saga getting them to fix the leaks (in fairness Covid complicated the issue). I so wish that these vans had a flat roof without the reinforcing ridges then perhaps sealing items to the surface would be better.

The Aircon has been used occasionally in the evening when the midges are out and it has been really hot, it actually works exceedingly well. However, when running it is fairly quiet inside the van but it is noisy enough outside to possibly annoy neighbours if they have their windows open on an adjacent pitch.

Would I buy one if it didn't come as standard? probably not, it reduces your payload, increases your overall height and because it replaces a rooflight it reduces the amount of natural light in a van that has heavily tinted windows.    It is also a possible leak source but there again so is a rooflight.

Last edited by Monty-Plym on Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photo of leak)
Monty-Plym
Monty-Plym
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:56 pm

Seems Marquis Devon were running true to form frustrating

It’s the nuisance to neighbours which bugs many folk.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:38 pm

Not quite, but on a par with built in generators.................. sensored1 sensored1 sensored1
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:24 pm

I’ve spent 6 months in mainland Europe out of the last 18 months, and yes, there have been plenty of nights too hot and sticky to sleep easily. Not just high temperatures, but high humidity at night. But I’m still not won over by the idea of fitting a/c, for the reasons already mentioned by others. Noise, loss of light, uncertain longevity, increase in weight (and the roof is the worst place for that), cost, and reliance on EHU which I don’t use very much anyway.

I have not found a good solution yet, but I think some sort of extractor fan would work nearly as well at night, pulling in cooler ambient air, without most of the drawbacks. Having said that, I’ve managed so far without it making that much of a difference to the holiday experience. So perhaps it’s not a big issue, just a bit inconvenient.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:45 pm

Saab, many moons ago had solar panels in the car roof, driving fans under the car, in the floor I guess which sucked cool air from under the car and blew it inside.
Worked well I understand, as you'd expect from Saab!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:35 am

v8oholic wrote:I’ve spent 6 months in mainland Europe out of the last 18 months, and yes, there have been plenty of nights too hot and sticky to sleep easily. Not just high temperatures, but high humidity at night. But I’m still not won over by the idea of fitting a/c, for the reasons already mentioned by others. Noise, loss of light, uncertain longevity, increase in weight (and the roof is the worst place for that), cost, and reliance on EHU which I don’t use very much anyway.

I have not found a good solution yet, but I think some sort of extractor fan would work nearly as well at night, pulling in cooler ambient air, without most of the drawbacks. Having said that, I’ve managed so far without it making that much of a difference to the holiday experience. So perhaps it’s not a big issue, just a bit inconvenient.
Have you considered the Maxxfan. It covers all the points you raise above.
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernie12 Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:01 am

We find the Truma aircon in our 21 Wxl to be extremely quiet on the night setting. I cannot hear it outside after the first 10mins. Worth its weight in gold in last French trip. High 30s and humid and more mosquitoes than we have ever seen.Came as part of mq edition and we would not have ordered otherwise based on previous noisy Electrolux and Dometic models. So glad to have this and will never be without it.
Cheers
Bernie12
Bernie12

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:10 am

Bernie12 wrote:We find the Truma aircon in our 21 Wxl to be extremely quiet on the night setting. I cannot hear it outside after the first 10mins. Worth its weight in gold in last French trip. High 30s and humid and more mosquitoes than we have ever seen.Came as part of mq edition and we would not have ordered otherwise based on previous noisy Electrolux and Dometic models. So glad to have this and will never be without it.
Cheers
Whilst I agree, after the first 10 minutes once the van temperature has been reduced it is very quiet, until the thermostat decides to cut in half an hour later. 

I suppose it all depends of your perception of noise nuisance, some folk are affected by it, others who are hard of hearing tend to contribute to it by turning up the volume on their TV.    lol4
Monty-Plym
Monty-Plym
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:32 am

Is the start-up current not a problem with these devices? Especially with the minority of continental sites which only supply 6A or 10A maximum (normally a 2 pin adapter is needed with these). Even the much more common 16A is exceeded.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:05 pm

Sally wrote:
Have you considered the Maxxfan. It covers all the points you raise above.
It does, although it still blocks light to a certain extent. I was thinking along the lines of something containing a fan that could be clipped into a standard roof light opening, and could be easily fitted and removed as and when required, but these don’t seem to exist. I might end up with something from the MaxxAir range though. I’ll have to measure the openings and see if anything would be suitable. I would rather replace the smaller roof light over the kitchen area in my Symbol rather than the big one nearer the front. Perhaps the SkyMaxx is the right size.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:47 pm

v8oholic wrote:Is the start-up current not a problem with these devices? Especially with the minority of continental sites which only supply 6A or 10A maximum (normally a 2 pin adapter is needed with these). Even the much more common 16A is exceeded.
Not in my experience, not at all.  
I have been on 6A sites where I can't start the microwave but I can always start the Truma Comfort.  I can't explain it.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Vehicle Year : 2017

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:24 pm

We had it fitted by the supplying dealer who cut a hole in the roof so no loss of light or ventilation, it's a Truma and is very quiet inside and out, never failed to work on numerous European sites last Summer and no complaints from neighbours. We had a Dometic on a previous van which was noisy, I think things have moved on in the last few years.
MJF
MJF

Male

Vehicle Year : 2022

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 pm

At night we've found a simple two speed mains fan helps, I just have to remember to pack it.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down