The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of selling

+5
burlingtonboaby
Bulletguy
IanH
Toffee
Sapper
9 posters

Go down

Thinking of selling Empty Thinking of selling

Post by Sapper Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:17 pm

Hi, I'm in my late eighties and finding it becoming more difficult to obtain insurance at anything like a sensible price, just last week we took the car in for service and their insurance wouldn't allow me to drive a courtesy car because I'm 86. Ridiculous really because I'm a professionally trained army driver with HGV class1. I then went on to further training to allow me to drive pretty much anything of any weight including the biggest tank  transporters. But facts are facts so I just have to accept their thinking that I'm decrepit old codger who shouldn't be on the road:shrugg:

With all this in mind, and it's not the only reason, I'm thinking of selling our van and I would just like some thoughts from anyone just what they think it would be worth before I ask our dealer or sell it privately. It's a 2020 Warwick XL in gold, in truly immaculate condition all round and fitted with the EP levelling system by SAP in Doncaster and also uprated front suspension. It's going in for it's first MOT next month and it's third service which will be done whilst it's still under warranty so any tiny jobs that need doing will be done then.  

It's also got a dealer fitted tow bar and also comes with a with a Tow Bar To Tow Cars system which I use to tow a little Fiat 500. I would also be prepared to sell the car with it if wanted. Again the Fiat is in excellent condition it's 18 reg with just about 16000 low miles on the clock. It's just had it's first MOT and third service which included a new cam belt and interior and body work are all in very good condition.

Would really appreciate your thoughts and thank you.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling Empty Re: Thinking of selling

Post by Toffee Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:23 pm

I know someone who is looking for a panel van conversion, I have sent him the details of your van to see if he might be interested. He is someone who if interested, is a true gent and would be no trouble or stress to sell to.
I imagine if he is interested (he was looking for a Fairford) his reply will probably be to ask the price.

I’ll let you know when I hear from him.

Thanks
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:08 pm

Look at is as a positive Sapper, sure you can't have the van any longer, but you'll get a shed load of money for it, and the wee car, probably more, for the van, than you paid. So now you can compensate and stay in 5* + hotels for as long as you like scratch head hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:11 pm

Guess that's one way of looking at it:scratch head:
Sapper
Sapper

Male

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:36 pm

Sapper wrote:Hi, I'm in my late eighties and finding it becoming more difficult to obtain insurance at anything like a sensible price, just last week we took the car in for service and their insurance wouldn't allow me to drive a courtesy car because I'm 86. But facts are facts so I just have to accept their thinking that I'm decrepit old codger who shouldn't be on the road shrugg

With all this in mind, and it's not the only reason, I'm thinking of selling our van.....
Don't chuck the towel in until you're 100% certain. It's worth phoning around.

My late mother was driving at 86 and never had any problem obtaining insurance. She even got pulled over by police for speeding at 50mph in a 30 and the traffic officer came out with the well worn line of, "who do you think you are, Stirling Moss", to which my mother retorted, "oh don't be so stupid, I'd never have won any races at that speed would I". 

Sadly she passed away two weeks after suffering a stroke but at least had plenty of enjoyment from her motoring days.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:57 pm

How's to time to sell Sapper, my Warwick duo was part exchanged with 2 k in my pocket.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike23 Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi Sapper, In my 80th year myself and experiencing the same problems. Ex  RE's myself (Mar '62), Driven everything from a moped to Diamond T's. Driving over 60 years inc HGV1 with never a claim or point on my licence. Insurance quotes getting ridiculous,  if you can get one. My daughter wanted to hire a small Luton van last week and asked me to drive it. Informed I cannot as no insurance available to over 75's. Good luck with your sale. REgards
Mike23
Mike23

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:10 pm

Mike23 wrote:Hi Sapper, In my 80th year myself and experiencing the same problems. Ex  RE's myself (Mar '62), Driven everything from a moped to Diamond T's. Driving over 60 years inc HGV1 with never a claim or point on my licence. Insurance quotes getting ridiculous,  if you can get one. My daughter wanted to hire a small Luton van last week and asked me to drive it. Informed I cannot as no insurance available to over 75's. Good luck with your sale. REgards
Hi Mike, Interesting you were in the Engineers, I joined up in 56 and did my driver training at Gibralter Barracks Aldershot. I was then posted out to Christmas Island on the H bomb tests where I spent the next 18 months nearly where I was seconded to Plant Troop.

We were the first shipload out there and there was absolutely nothing on the Island apart from a small village of Gilbertise Islanders in their straw and mud huts. They came over from the Gilbert and Solomon Isle to harvest the coconuts. Eventually the army employed them to clear rocks etc so we could build a road across the Island and a runway for the Valiant Bomber to land and take off, the army paid them £7 a fortnight. They were lovely people who were prepared to do anything you asked and never complained, as strong as bulls and the soles of their feet were thicker than our boots so could just walk over the razor sharp coral all day. At lunch break they would draw their huge knives they all carried and dig lumps of coral out of their feet.

My official job was driving the plant maintenance truck which was a Bedford QL flat bed truck but you had to be prepared to drive anything. One day Sarge would tell you jump on a Cat D8 Dozer or a big old grader or maybe a Coles crane so it was a case of learning on the job.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

jwells and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike23 Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi, Sapper, Most interesting memories,(1TRRE, Cove, myself), Some of the lads I served with did service on Christmas Island and Maralinga, sadly I did know two who died at an early age with Leukaemia. You are no doubt aware that the Government has issued a medal for eligible service personnel, also there is at present demands from veteran groups for release of secret papers that prove the risk of radiation was well known to the extent that personnel were used as guinea-pigs, A long time ago and a different world. Best Wishes to you. With regard to your original O.P., It seems that older people are being priced off the road the pace of which seems to be accelerating, Rather a lot of comments on the subject recently REgards Mike

Last edited by Mike23 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
Mike23
Mike23

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:45 pm

Mike23 wrote:Hi, Sapper, Most interesting memories,(1TRRE, Cove, myself), Some of the lads I served with did service on Christmas Island and Maralinga, sadly I did know two who died at an early age with Leukaemia. You are no doubt aware that the Government has issued a medal for eligible service personnel, also there is at present demands from veteran groups for release of secret papers that prove the risk of radiation was well known to the extent that personnel were used as guinea-pigs, A long time ago and a different world. Best Wishes to you. With regard to your original O.P., It seems that older people are being priced off the road the pace of which seems to be accelerating, Rather a lot of comments on the subject recently REgards Mike
Hi Mike Regards the medal got a email from the medals office just this morning to say my medal is on it's way.

To be honest I'm not too bothered about it, I think we were used and abused and I would much sooner the government owned up to it rather than give out meaningless medals.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

jwells and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:51 pm

As for insurance, there's a member of the owners club who reached 90 last year. He had a problem getting insurance but did eventually, I think possibly Adrian Flux but can't be sure.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Mike23 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:01 pm

I am 76 and thinking of throwing the towel in also and using the money for nice merc estate and hotels from now on. Will miss the mobile toilet though!
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

breakaleg, BobK, RML, jwells and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:40 pm

Ok, it's a hands up from me, we sold our fantastic H on August bank holiday last year after a month in the alps following the Tour de France, made the decision on the way home.  We owned it since 2017 and received almost what we paid for it - very happy with the deal. Just back from a trip to the US and Canada and looking at 2 nights in a hotel in Bournemouth in October for £45 plus meals. What do we miss?  luggage allowance now having to pack everything, the thought of Spain in the winter after doing it for 11ish years.  What I don't miss, cleaning the roof - fell off a ladder doing just that in 2016, broke my right knee and left elbow, also white and blue collar jobs - inside and out and the freedom to go at virtually any time as everything now has to be booked.  Still hey ho not trying to influence anyone it's a great way of life and I'm still lurking around to see what's going on......if you'll still have me but I can take a hint. 👍
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Just now got back from seeing our dealer we went there in the car thinking I may sus out what he may think. We've had the van 3 years in October and we explained it's condition which they pretty much know anyhow because we do look after it.

We paid 56,000 back in 2020 and he offered us £60,000 with out even looking at it and is prepared to pick it up next week from our door WOW. Must say better than I thought.
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Toffee and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:30 am

Sapper wrote:Just now got back from seeing our dealer we went there in the car thinking I may sus out what he may think. We've had the van 3 years in October and we explained it's condition which they pretty much know anyhow because we do look after it.

We paid 56,000 back in 2020 and he offered us £60,000 with out even looking at it and is prepared to pick it up next week from our door WOW. Must say better than I thought.

Having now sold the van I'm left with our little Fiat 500 tow car. It's fitted with the Tow Bar To Tow Cars unit which cost me about £2500 to have fitted it's very good and easy to fit in just a few minutes. 

The car it'self is in very good condition it's just had a MOT and also a main dealer full service which included a cam belt change which cost me £450. It's a 18 reg and has done just 16,500 miles from new. I would be happy to send out photo's to anyone interested and would welcome any test. I'm looking for just £8,500
Sapper
Sapper

Male

Back to top Go down