The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol cupboard access

+7
v8oholic
andyh
Mr Whippy 99
Jarjar
orac
frederic
Dbvwt
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Symbol cupboard access  - Page 3 Empty Re: Symbol cupboard access

Post by Mr Whippy 99 Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:13 pm

Glad the idea was useful. I dont travel with the infill cussions in situ lthey are stored under the wardrobe or above the cab. Just build the bed when needed, otherwise its a bit high for daytime use.  I do have a luggage strap round the setee cushion and frame while travelling because that is where the dog travels.
Mr Whippy 99
Mr Whippy 99

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

bertb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:20 pm

Thanks. I have found anything stored under the W/R ends up on the floor quite quickly! I keep the ramps under there but I have added a piece of Velcro to stop them sliding out.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2013

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:24 pm

BTB When I got this van to replace a Dorset I thought the storage was limited. But as I am now a lone traveller I realise I need half the stuff, well almost. And as my wife was quite ill we needed extra medical supplies and all the "just in case" items. So in general, for a single traveller the cupboard space is about usable. And I don't have to keep the van as tidy as I did!
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2013

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Whippy 99 Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:30 pm

hugegrins up!
Happy travels.
Mr Whippy 99
Mr Whippy 99

Male

bertb and Bill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave/Pat Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:45 pm

Mr Whippy 99 wrote:There is no slope. Use the seat back laid flat and the two short fill in cushions ( originally stored under the wardrobe), this raises the bench seat cushion for its full length to a level similar to the drivers seat base. Close enough that a loose cushion in the dip is all that is needed for the feet end of the bed.  I'll see if I can post some pics later.
A brillient idear to turn the seat arround and lift up the bed . it   will turn around in my 2019 symbol if you move the seat forward then move it . it will only go arround one way due to the hand brake .also the seat cushion needs to be out of the way .
Dave/Pat
Dave/Pat

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Mr Whippy 99 and Bill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 pm

Back earlier after a few days away...
On arrival at the camping field, the van was levelled and a few things organised. Next, I turned the driver's seat fully round. First time I'd done this. I was on levelling ramps and was a tad nervous as I released the handbrake but a combination of a chock behind the rear wheel and putting the vehicle in gear, meant the van didn't move a millimetre. It was a bit tricky to turn the seat and the seat plate catches ever so slightly on the end panel of the under settee cupboard. Will need to mod this but not a big deal.
Thereafter, it's easy to use the infill cushions and create the bed. The driver's seat is slighly higher than the rest of the bed but it's hardly noticeable when lying down. It looks worse than it feels in the photo. Even without the Duvulay mattress it's very comfortable. With, even more so.
The verdict? A 10/10 approval rating from Mrs H. "Best night's sleep I've had in the van." "Super comfy".
I slept on the standard set-up single bed and also had a very good night with no need to climb over a recumbent partner at 3:00 in the morning.
Next two nights similarly good. Easy to set up and pack down.
So, a complete 'game changer'!! Many thanks Mr Whippy 99! BravoSmiley
Symbol cupboard access  - Page 3 AJFCJaV3a0v8MoMrDHIsCL5EeaLNUCXgDiAvHoSy4Uk_-dDFVUPlcrP-KDbU0J8FcEqvsvhN_zkUZa0JceNZ_XM2wH117tYTnOSJ_xw0pzLHGKJfRPdxrg5Y4vhrZ8vV6eO94XVYZaLLnoY1-Ufvquoa5WS9TwjJU_qnjCJ9Ud4WAI1UyiHDPUOFo0dqQk7DTGpVAOVvSTWWNmXL-h9jtQvIXHDhWbxRO698lJ2s7espOuMeYIXDrkKN4z-8vac7WFR3ExOCVA_Zr6rATVpkcxxuvUcziMJq5_POxIxHUAI9OacCvAco-XMfiIiw_GvpelwhHiaZ6a27OO0GKNMt7r631m8th-MNIAPaUErXj-IPIhOvy52v-ccqC22KI3xi0oelYt_Omzl3I0AEydS46WoA2QsUT5pCM5COk7guodh2VzjFPQQTGqkt_g4kBPyR7kpwWm92-43OyLGCVipoN1vrZSbeDXkQzNFUFm_C-FeDTNsMPumfykSvV_3iyIeEbGX3lkiy27dQ7XcnLGjxFN2pM49AXQ2ZhEz0Cma-Twx0C9UnUB0OwJeEIBDm8fDNpVPpBIy9zLUq2ObJEwTUq4bF3TYhHbN8aNoWJKq0jkLpetLMrbuROTTwbkW_c6hukIISH26k8k-H1AT7Qd4CaXUvlZnR548fHDTf8P0a6bRDLmj3yxYkvpp6I1iI3q2gnxL4R8l3A4FvLuMCvFTzMsAwX74jeZAZuIz65fT7rpRuMdmSvuyX0WZ7o-i5r96L8mVg1P0hvxnfuDen2qUHjSD4plm1J_0zn1Z7zVXmvsfE-QQ8x__3-FCJUYPUnBWnVeUwunTqTK0zJpdvHpEhzPb1vLOLCpUBkWSgJJFO_17XAxpmOrgE0jQLH0Y_6iJLmkhSZfW3wK8u24zH7Y7on0LFICw=w1696-h1272-s-no?authuser=0
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2014

v8oholic and Mr Whippy 99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:12 pm

Cupboard door roughly cut to size and routed to finish it off. Slow progress on this one as I’ve been away from home enjoying myself in the van!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Mr Whippy 99 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Whippy 99 Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:01 pm

It would be interesting to know how much wasted space there is behind the boxing for the heating ducts. Don't know if there is anything to be gained by taking it out.
Mr Whippy 99
Mr Whippy 99

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:19 pm

Mr Whippy 99 wrote:It would be interesting to know how much wasted space there is behind the boxing for the heating ducts. Don't know if there is anything to be gained by taking it out.

If you mean the space at the back under the wardrobe (behind the cupboard I’m modifying) don’t bother. I’ve been there in the past as I had the same thought and there is nothing to be gained, as well as the heating ducts the shower water pipes are also in there.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Whippy 99 Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Saved me destroying the cupboard.
Mr Whippy 99
Mr Whippy 99

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 pm

Rainy day so I thought I’d finish the cupboard off. Very happy with the result, total cost £24.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

bertb, v8oholic, Kemerton-bath, Mr Whippy 99, andyh, arkwright and Tinwheeler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:35 pm

Very good. I had misunderstood your intentions. I thought you were looking to block off the alcove and put a door in the blocked off panel. This makes perfect sense. Have you applied to join the design team at AS as they could do with some common sense and brains.
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:02 pm

Thanks Orac. 
IMO A/S have some great van designs and I can fully understand why they stick with them year after year. My problem is that they don’t seem able to tweak things and evolve these designs?  You only have to look at all the great mods that members on here have done, most costing peanuts. 
With this mod, there is is actually a door on top which could easily have been fitted on the side panel. Why put it where access is a pain in the xxxx shrugg
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Bilbobaggins and orac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:47 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Thanks Orac. 
IMO A/S have some great van designs and I can fully understand why they stick with them year after year. My problem is that they don’t seem able to tweak things and evolve these designs?  You only have to look at all the great mods that members on here have done, most costing peanuts. 
With this mod, there is is actually a door on top which could easily have been fitted on the side panel. Why put it where access is a pain in the xxxx shrugg
100%!
That's a quality job there. Hats off to you. topmarks
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : 2014

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down