The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz water pump access

2 posters

Go down

Topaz water pump access Empty Topaz water pump access

Post by shargrea Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 am

Anyone else tried to get to the water pump on a Topaz (2001) ?
It is located under the floor of the 'wardrobe' (offside rear cupboard).
However the floor of the cupboard will not (quite) come out as it fouls against the gas taps on one edge, and the plastic moulding of the bathroom wall on another edge.
There is a small white plastic access hatch, but this only really gives access to the filter, and you can't really get to the whole of the pump.
(I'm trying to reduce the 'rapid cycling' of the pump by either fixing it and the surrounding pipes a bit more firmly, or installing an accummulator.)
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Topaz water pump access Empty Re: Topaz water pump access

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Sorry, can't help with your question on the 2001 model... I'm trying to locate the pump in my 2007 T5 model! I want to check the filter and make sure there is no residual water in the pump. It seems to be the one piece of equipment where the location is not detailed in the manual and I can't track it down by sound!

Can anyone confirm where it is please? confused3

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 am

Hi both
T4:- The panel should come out and is the only way I know to get to the pump. There is some flexibility in the panel when all fixings have been released.

T5:- Pump is located under the bench seat. Open up the seat base and you will see a wooden cover panel on the RHS. This is held in place with some screws. Remove these and lift out the cover to expose pump battery and charger.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 pm

hoopman wrote:

T5:- Pump is located under the bench seat. Open up the seat base and you will see a wooden cover panel on the RHS. This is held in place with some screws. Remove these and lift out the cover to expose pump battery and charger.

John

Thanks for the response but that is not the case with my van! I looked in there, despite being able to hear the pump running on the other side of the van. At least I know what is in that space now. I contacted Auto-Sleeper and received a prompt reply:

Mr Taylor, the water pump on a Topaz has moved locations a few times. I believe yours may be located behind the toilet panel and can be accessed by removing the rear upright panel between the vehicle side and shower upright panel. If you have drained the system down and have all taps open you could run the pump for about 30 seconds and this should remove any existing water left in the pump.

The panel referred to runs from floor to ceiling just inside the rear door; I think that it can stay in place for the time being!

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Pete
Interesting. Our 58 plate Topaz had the pump fitted under the bench seat. Not sure why A/S keep moving it though. Fortunately I never had problems with the pump re 'rapid cycling'. Good luck
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm

John,
I wonder if this is something to do with the options our vans are fitted with? Under my bench seat is a Truma water heater; this (rather bulky) item works on both gas and electricity. There does not look to be enough room for a water pump in there, along with the giant battery and a few other gizmos. Do you have one of these fitted?

I have to say that if I had to chose between hiding the pump behind the shower/toilet wall and fitting it in the (adjacent) cupboard under the cooker, this "conversation" would not have taken place. Particularly as the manual tells the owner to remove the water pipes from the pump in Winter and that the strainer should be cleaned a couple of times a year! frustrating

As the weather has turned "somewhat Arctic" my short-term action plan is to check, each day, that the, supposedly drained-down water system allows the pump to turn over; if not I shall warm the van up with a fan heater (the Diesel-heater is too slow to warm up)!

This is our first "motorised caravan" since we had a water-cooled T3 Autocruise Diamond RV back in the 80s, it seems that nothing much has changed (apart from the electronics adding to the mix).

As if I did not have enough problems with a yard full of "classic" cars! read
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shargrea Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm

hoopman wrote:
T4:- The panel should come out and is the only way I know to get to the pump. There is some flexibility in the panel when all fixings have been released.
John

Thanks Hoopman - I guess maybe I just need to be more brutal, but I'm nervous of applying too much force to the ageing (and brittle) plastic panels that make up the bathroom.
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:John,
I wonder if this is something to do with the options our vans are fitted with? Under my bench seat is a Truma water heater; this (rather bulky) item works on both gas and electricity. There does not look to be enough room for a water pump in there, along with the giant battery and a few other gizmos. Do you have one of these fitted?

read

Pete
Unfortunately I don't have a Topaz at present, but my memory is still pretty good scratch head I'm pretty sure under the seat I had the usual stuff and the pump in there. I've had 3 Topazes (2 T4s & 1 T5) over the years. With all of them the pumps were fine and never had a problem in the winter with freezing having done the usual draining procedure. Good luck up!
Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down