The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz

3 posters

Go down

Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz Empty Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz

Post by Mr Grey Tue May 02, 2023 10:52 pm

Hello folks

Thought I’d share my recent experience with fitting Cruise Control to our 2003 Topaz which as most will know is built on the VW chassis.

I’m a big fan of Cruise Control but when we found our one-owner-low-mileage 2003 Automatic Topaz Late last year, I certainly wasn’t going to pass owing to a lack of this feature. Instead, I set about seeing if there was a way to retro-fit it.

Turns out there is. 

It’s possible to buy a second-hand OEM stalk with the controls for cruise but they’re mad expensive but while researching, I found a chap who’s a bit of a T4 buff and an auto-electrician to boot. He’d put together a kit for £50 which comprises of a small black box with a couple of switches (one to activate cruise and a toggle switch to accelerate/retard speed) and a long flying lead which plugs directly into a plug in the T4’s harness. The plug was reported to be present even if the van didn’t have cruise fitted as standard.

A little re-programming of the T4’s control unit would be required, but this could be done at a local garage equipped with the right software, or by downloading a free programme called VCDS Lite and hooking a laptop via the OBD port.

Here’s a link:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looked like something I could have a crack at, but there was no mention as to whether it would work with an automatic gearbox. So I got in touch with Mark Reeves (the chap who had invented the kit) to ask him. He was totally honest and said he had no idea but a few others had asked the same. He said that if I bought the kit and it didn’t work, I could return it for a full refund. You can’t say fairer than that!

I also asked him for a ‘raw’ kit without the box as, if successful, I wanted to mount the switches on the dash.

Safe to say, we were both delighted when having done the programme change on the ECU via the VCDS software, it worked like a dream.

If you fancy having a go and want any advice, feel free to message me on here. Bear in mind, the kit only works with the TDi engine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz Cb6d4810[/url]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/url]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz Empty Re: Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz

Post by rgermain Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 am

When I had a Topaz I used this firm.

Hazzydayz.com They came from London to the S Coast in 2008, not sure if they do now.

I was a genuine VW stalk and worked as it should. They seem to have expanded their range of fitments now.

Highly recommended.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz Empty Re: Cruise Control retro-fit to our Topaz

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 03, 2023 12:28 pm

Not VW related but I bought the add on cruise control kit to one of ours SAABs. The kit was only needed the stalk changing and I had contacts within the dealers to help with final programming.
I had hoped our Mk6 Transit could be retro fitted but I have been told it’s only possible on the M7 being electronically controlled.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down