The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham heated rear windows

4 posters

Go down

Kingham heated rear windows Empty Kingham heated rear windows

Post by The Bargee Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:44 pm

I have a slightly strange question here for the real experts!

The rear left hand door window heating element is not working. Wiring dead. That is the blind window behind the loo. It might be simpler not to ask why I want to get it working! The right hand door window heating element works. I am wondering whether the left hand heated window has been intentionally disabled, which would be logical since it is blind, but I have located and checked the fuse (58 in the driver's side B pillar fuse box) and that has not been pulled and works. I have checked 59 as well (listed as RH door) just in case they have been transposed and that is fine. Does anybody have any more info on this please, like has it been disabled somewhere else, since I would quite like to get power to the left hand one, albeit not to heat the window!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Kingham heated rear windows Empty Re: Kingham heated rear windows

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:58 pm

Have you checked that it is actually connected up to the wiring or had a multimeter on the wiring at the heater element end

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:12 pm

Yes, the door card is out and I have checked across the terminals, connected to the element and disconnected, not that it should matter. The wiring all looks fine in the door.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:14 pm

Duplicated
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:15 pm

A possible break in the wire between the door a van in the rubber tubing ?

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:48 am

Thanks Chris. That is a good suggestion which I have now checked (again) this morning since that door was the one that blew wide open in a gale in February and smashed the window (door stop catches not fitted in that van, since rectified!). However all appears visually well with that wiring so far as I can backtrack along the cabling. I think that if the wiring had been strained the thinner cables to the number plate lights would have failed first, but who knows, so the question remains but for another day now.

The reason for the question was that I have fitted a number plate mounted wireless (to the monitor) rear view camera as a temporary expedient pending warranty repair or replacement of the high level camera, and it occurred that for ease of wiring I could power (and switch it) from the heated rear window circuit (disconnecting both heated rear windows). For the moment I have powered the camera from the number plate lamps, which works but I have to turn the headlamps on since there is no side light setting on this van. However it functions  well enough for our exploration of Northumberland next week.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:08 am

Neat idea, need to remember for original idea that when heated rear windows are powered up the external mirrors are also connected to that circuit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:29 am

Bilbobaggins wrote:Neat idea, need to remember for original idea that when heated rear windows are powered up the external mirrors are also connected to that circuit.

Thanks, good point, but my research yesterday suggested that there are some three different wiring / fusing possibilities subject to precise model, and the one that seems to fit my van (comparing all the fuse box images I found) lists the heated mirrors as being fused elsewhere, but I think you are right in that some models seem to have the mirrors on the same circuits as the heated windows. I will see if the mirrors get warm (!), but this is probably only a temporary installation pending proper repairs / replacement / upgrade of the installed camera system. I just didn't want to be struggling without a rear view camera next week and I have another use later for the basic system that I have just installed.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:25 am

The Bargee wrote:It might be simpler not to ask why I want to get it working! 

That just makes us want to ask even more hugegrins
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down