The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drain down or not…that time of year!

+3
FreelanderUK
Peatlander 2
Sally
7 posters

Go down

Drain down or not…that time of year! Empty Drain down or not…that time of year!

Post by Sally Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:45 pm

For those of us who drain down over winter but then don’t drain down during the normal year, at what point do you fill and not drain down.

For example, I drained down in November. Then on trips over winter I’ve either not filled the tank for a short trip, or I’ve drained down at the end longer trip. But I’m going away the last week in March and I can’t decide whether I need to drain down when I get back, or whether that’s far enough into the year to leave it with water in.

I just wondered what others do; my van is in storage, and does have the automatic drain valve on the boiler.

P.S. this isn’t about whether or not to drain down after each trip during the year, that’s a whole different kettle of fish!!!
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Drain down or not…that time of year! Empty Re: Drain down or not…that time of year!

Post by Peatlander 2 Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:06 pm

We were actually living in the van from October to mid February....plenty heat in the van itself, but the piping under the floor did freeze up one night...was about minus 8 where we were. Minus 18 at home though....

When we got home I drained it down as frost was forecast. Filled up again last week, as we have been up in Caithness over the weekend. Again, below freezing at home, but not on the north coast. Back home now, and I'm wondering....it's not difficult to drain, so I'll probably do it to be safe. Thing is, the water in the tanks is clean, where the water in our taps at home is like cold tea.(full of peat) Shame to waste clean water!

Draining is safer... Especially if it's not sat on your driveway. That being said, end of march you should be safe enough.

Last edited by Peatlander 2 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Drain down or not…that time of year! Empty Re: Drain down or not…that time of year!

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm

Filled mine back up last week and had a heavy frost which tripped the dump valve, filled up again on Friday for this weekends use and have not drained down as will just leave it now between trips

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm

Really depends on forecast upon your return after March trip. Unlikely to be a frost of such severity as to cause problems. But I'd decide what to do when you return. You know British weather!!!

If in doubt.....

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 pm

But if you are not going to use the van for more than a couple days you should drain the fresh water anyway - unless you use tank water just for washing up.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:50 pm

I drain down after every trip unless we are going off again in less than a week otherwise the waters not fit for anything other than washing up.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:16 pm

inspiredron wrote:But if you are not going to use the van for more than a couple days you should drain the fresh water anyway - unless you use tank water just for washing up.
I know lots who don’t; they would disagree with you.

I certainly don’t drain down at the end of every trip. Although I don’t drink the water direct, just tea and coffee.
Sally
Sally

Female

AutoSleepy_Don, HJA, Bilbobaggins and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:15 am

We don't drink the water, we just use it for washing up etc

My thought being if it pours out of the top of the tank when it's full, anything on the road can surely get in. We have two big bottles we fill for drinking water.
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

MelB, Sally and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:55 am

2 vans over 20 years and always drunk the water from the tap, never drain down between trips and only sterilised every couple of years, never had any problem or upset stomach’s, -possibly due to all the jabs I was given in the forces hugegrins

Male

Paulmold, rgermain, Sally, Dbvwt and Peatlander 2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am

If you saw our household water supply pre-filtration, you'd wonder why I'm bothered....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That goes through 5 stage filtration before it's potable, and sometimes it still looks like tea.

It's nice to turn up to a site and roll the hose out and fill the tank with clean water....it's another reason I tend not to drain it down unless I know it's going to freeze. It's also the reason I have bottles for potable water on site, really nice to think "I haven't had to filter that!" hugegrins
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Dave Gee and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:42 am

Peatlander 2 wrote:If you saw our household water supply pre-filtration, you'd wonder why I'm bothered....

That goes through 5 stage filtration before it's potable, and sometimes it still looks like tea.

It's nice to turn up to a site and roll the hose out and fill the tank with clean water....it's another reason I tend not to drain it down unless I know it's going to freeze. It's also the reason I have bottles for potable water on site, really nice to think "I haven't had to filter that!" hugegrins
I would be towing a small water bowser behind the van to fill up as I left sites allthumbz hugegrins

Male

Peatlander 2 and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:26 pm

Peatlander 2 wrote:If you saw our household water supply pre-filtration, you'd wonder why I'm bothered....

Wow, I’ve not seen that before. Is it because of your location.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Aye, it's straight off the hill. The supply is collapsing, but none of the other 3 houses on it are prepared to contribute to upkeep, so we filter it, and will be getting a borehole just for us at some point. To be fair, it usually looks like cold tea, that photo is me purging the pipework, so there's a lot if silt in it at that point too.

Even after the filtration we are using now, it's still often quite brown, but least you can see through it. You learn not to wash white things in it!

That's the main reason I don't fill with water at home! Will sometimes drop the contents of the tank if we aren't going too far, and fill when we get there. Nice transparent clean water!
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

rogerblack, Sally and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm

Incidentally.... Do you know how to make holy water?

Boil the Hell out if it!
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

BobK, Sally and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:04 pm

We are going away last week March. Will probably put fresh water in a day or two before, as part of getting ready. Probably only half a tank, and fill up when we get there. What we will do when we get back will depend on the weather. If it looks like overnight temp of 2 or 3 I will drain fresh tank and boiler.
HJA
HJA

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down