The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On board waterr and cold weather

3 posters

Go down

On board waterr and cold weather Empty On board waterr and cold weather

Post by orac Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:27 pm

This may belong on the tech or general forums but I settled on here as it's about our 2017 Symbol.
I wondered what the consensus was for water in the tank (for travelling) and external temperatures.
We are heading far North shortly and I want to keep some water in the underslung tank for use en route, which I always do when travelling in Summertime. I am not fussed about the weight/fuel consumption aspect - I am more driven by convenience. The temps are going to hover around 4 and 5 degrees. Add to that any 'chill' factor from speed and I am undecided whether to go without on board water or fill up. The toilet flush is fed from the main underslung water tank in this model. Views gratefully awaited. Thanks for looking.
orac
orac

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

On board waterr and cold weather Empty Re: On board waterr and cold weather

Post by IanH Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:47 pm

Not sure that solids get chill factor, that's skin evaporation I think.
4 or 5 c no probs but your hot water tank may dump if below 3c, but it's inside so shouldn't be and won't be in full of hot water....
I'd compromise as you suggest and half fill it, but also take bottled water as well.
We always do as we don't drink from onboard tank
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

orac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. We never drink from the tank either. It's more for being able to flush the loo (last Symbol was a 2004 and had a separate tank for the toilet which was inside, so no issues, but this one is an issue). Washing up if we stop overnight is desirable but as you say, can use bottled water.
orac
orac

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:57 pm

In the a absolutely last case you could flush bog with bottled water. up! look here hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:13 pm

I have found on two occasions after being on site at minus temps I was unable to drain the fresh water tank because the drain tap was frozen, once I had driven about 15 miles the heat from the exhaust has thawed the tap and the water is dumped onto the road. I would suggest traveling with water should not be a problem, in France we’ve found the water from the cold tap is actually heated up when traveling.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

orac likes this post

Back to top Go down