The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bathroom push button lock hard to open

+8
Kemerton-bath
Spospe
DeeBee
v8oholic
Bilbobaggins
Beetee
TonyB
Fontie
12 posters

Go down

Bathroom push button lock hard to open Empty Bathroom push button lock hard to open

Post by Fontie Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:12 pm

I have to push the button half a dozen times before it opens, tried undoing the screws and buttons slightly and even put on a new lock still the same. A search doesn't come up with anything, I cant be the only one what was your mod to cure this.

Thanks
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Bathroom push button lock hard to open Empty Re: Bathroom push button lock hard to open

Post by TonyB Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi, it may be because the hooks at top and bottom on the inside of the door are grabbing too tightly on to the pegs.I had a similar problem sometimes and stopped it by easing the peg positions.Easy to check if this is the problem and not the lock,by removing the pegs and seeing if the lock then operates ok.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bathroom push button lock hard to open Empty Re: Bathroom push button lock hard to open

Post by Beetee Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:27 pm

We have this problem sometimes if the van is not level.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire/now sold
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:57 pm

Best approach we have found is to be assertive with the button, trying to be gentle it just laughs at us but a quick stabbing action usually makes it do what we want.

Curiously our one always seems to behave first thing in the morning but gets more disobedient as day goes on.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm

Mine is just the same. I would describe it as temperamental but it always opens in the end. I just assumed they were all like that. It doesn't help when the hook on the back of the door is not centrally mounted (as mine isn't), because if you hang a robe on there, it can interfere with the mechanism.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:48 pm

Ours is the same on brand new 22 plate. It’s currently in for warranty work and I mentioned it so they will look at it. Not massively hopeful though we had a similar system on our Swift coach build wardrobe and that was equally temperamental. 

Someone replaced theirs and posted a thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What I’m going to do when I get the van back is to get some strong thin magnets for top and bottom of door; that way it’ll only need locking on travel and not when in use. 

I really don’t understand why that bathroom door isn’t sliding, would make it much easier imo.
DeeBee

Male

Vehicle Year : 2022

Fontie and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:47 pm

Glad I am not alone, I took the lock apart and spayed some silicone grease on the innards, that and adjusting the hooks top and bottom seem to have made it a bit better. I'll see how it goes might try magnets as suggested or even a new lock.

Thanks all
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Magnets sound like a great solution TBH. They might even work well enough to replace the mechanism even when travelling. Watching with interest!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:56 pm

I will update this thread when I’ve done it. Should get the van back within a week all being well 👍
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:27 pm

Sounds like the top and bottom hooks are set a little too far in and are preventing the door from opening. A simple trick to prove / disprove this, is to push the door in (take the pressure off the hooks) whilst pushing the button. If the door opens easily you will know the problem is with the hooks. Jabbing the button is not a good idea, it sounds too violent for long term use.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:05 pm

Be careful using magnets, as they could pull the foil wrap off the door. This is a weakness that crops up repeatedly on the forum.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:28 pm

Wouldn’t foil wrap be aluminium, so non-ferrous?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:02 pm

v8oholic wrote:Magnets sound like a great solution TBH. They might even work well enough to replace the mechanism even when travelling. Watching with interest!
First4Magnets, great company I've used a lot.
If you get the wrong ones, you might never get it open!! Whistle1
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:36 pm

I use strong magnets wherever possible on cupboard doors in the house over catches. 
Back to the first post on this thread, I’ve had exactly the same problem more than once on different vehicles and it’s usually the catch. They are just not that reliable, even new ones!!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:01 pm

v8oholic wrote:Wouldn’t foil wrap be aluminium, so non-ferrous?
They are often referred to as foils but are plastic. My point was that the magnets have to be stuck to something, and if the force needed to separate the magnets is too great then it could pull the foil away from the surface it’s bonded to.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:
v8oholic wrote:Wouldn’t foil wrap be aluminium, so non-ferrous?
They are often referred to as foils but are plastic. My point was that the magnets have to be stuck to something, and if the force needed to separate the magnets is too great then it could pull the foil away from the surface it’s bonded to.

Tim
Fair enough. Most cabinet magnetic catches seem to use self tappers, but they would need to be short. And perhaps they wouldn’t be strong enough as a result.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:36 am

I put these top and bottom of the door.

I haven't as yet needed to screw them in the double sided tape seems very strong and enough to hold them.

I used 2 of these at the top of the door as well as the gap was bigger.

The magnets are strong enough to hold the door closed even whilst driving, but easy enough to open when needed.

My wife will be happy no more me having to push the button in trying to unlock the door and waking her up in the middle of the night

Thanks for everyone's suggestions
Fontie
Fontie

Male

v8oholic, rogerblack and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:23 pm

Sorry for the late response as you appear to have solved the problem by adding magnets. 

I had exactly the same problem despite dismantling the lock etc. I finally solved the problem by slightly undoing the button from it's spindle. This seems to have cured the problem.
njr001

Vehicle Year : 2009

v8oholic and Fontie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPXL Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:09 pm

I had the same answer as you njr001 from my dealer and it does work. However I can see long term that the button will wear and become unusable. Not being content I had a good look and discovered that the barrel which the button moves in is not glued in the door squarely. You can’t get the chrome barrel out so I removed the lock from inside the wash room and gently filed away the edge of it from the inside of the door to create a small taper, wiped a small bit of grease in and reassembled. Pleased to say it now works perfectly.
GPXL
GPXL

Male

v8oholic, Fontie and babian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:50 pm

Quote from my earlier post….. “They are just not that reliable, even new ones!!”

After quite a few failures I’ve taken these things apart, investigated the issues, lubricated/adjusted/modified them and they still eventually fail.
My conclusion.. They are crap and badly engineered smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic, Fontie and DeeBee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Funnily enough those were the same magnets I had ordered. Some pics attached. Works great, had to remove the rubber strips to ensure a good closure. If anything they are a bit too strong, I might remove the middle ones! Put them top and bottom.
DeeBee

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:55 am

I was able to leave the rubber strips in place but put the plate further to the edge of the door where your dot is and pushed it down onto the rubber strip, did the same at the bottom. Mines holding fine with 2 magnets top and bottom, with 3 you must really have to give it a tug. Brilliant idea DeeBee works really well.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

v8oholic and DeeBee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:00 pm

If they are too strong, perhaps they would still be strong enough if mounted on the inside of the bathroom wall rather than the outside?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:04 pm

The wood is to thick for the magnetism to get through, these magnets are strong enough as we have them but not if placed on the inside.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down