The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heating or draining down?

+4
IanH
bikeralw
Tinwheeler
Mr T
8 posters

Go down

Heating or draining down? Empty Heating or draining down?

Post by Mr T Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:35 am

I think I know how to drain down the tanks - and there’s lots of help with doing that on this forum! However, the dealer that I bought from suggested that if I was storing the van (it’s a Symbol) on my drive and I had access to EHU then I could leave the heating on, set to come on at 5 degrees, to prevent any chances of freezing. We do use the van throughout the winter and wonder if this would an easier option than draining down after every outing? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mr T
Mr T

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Heating or draining down? Empty Re: Heating or draining down?

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 am

Running the heating inside the van won't protect the tanks underneath. To do that you'd need to turn on the heater blankets. Don't forget your toilet cassette and flush tank as I doubt the 5⁰ heating will reach that far rear corner.

Much depends on where you live but even in the balmy SW we experience ice and frosts at times.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Mr T likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:09 am

I don't use my van in the winter, so it's no inconvenience to have it all drained down.
However, if I was in your position I'd only drain down if a frost was forecast.
As Tinwheeler says, keeping heating on low is no guarantee something won't be damaged in a really keen frost.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Mr T likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:59 am

No

Even some pipes inside the van won't be protected, only solution is no water at all.

We never heat our van winter or summer (except when using it of course!)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Mr T, Caraman and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:09 pm

I empty both tanks in the winter. If we go out in the van I fill a 2L empty coke bottle with water for hand washing and another bottle for drinking water. Fortunately our toilet has it's own flush supply which I do not drain down. It is not connected to the fresh water tank. So within these limitation we can still use the van if we go out for the day.

As for heating I use a Dimplex Chico oil filled radiator, with the thermostat set somewhere around 5C, I keep a separate thermometer in there to check. It stops the toilet flush water from freezing (I leave the internal door open), and the heater helps prevent damp. This had been an issue in 2020 after there was water ingress from a poorly sealed upper fridge vent. I think it was Paul who suggested a Chico heater, thanks.

On our previous van I did once have the toilet flush water freeze in winter, after this I would drain the flush water out in winter. Fortunately the internal flush pump wasn't damaged.

It would be cheaper for me to replace the Dimplex heater than have to replace the van's Truma Combi heater, so a Chico seems like a preferable way to keep the van above 5C.
There also the question about fitting a padded external silver screen and closing the roof blinds.
If the winter temperature is heading for sub-zero I might close the blinds to save on the heating bill. Perhaps I should close all the blinds then.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Mr T likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:26 pm

[Sorry for the pedantry, but the Dimplex Eco Chico isn't oil-filled - which means that it's relatively lightweight and it can't leak oil!]
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Relaxez-Vous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm

After every trip I drain down, which is not difficult, and shutdown all the electrics.  Gap between trips is generally about 4 weeks and we use the van all year.

Last edited by Caraman on Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Mr T and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Angleseygirl Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:52 pm

Last winter, I didn’t drain don our Symbol at all. I have drained down previously but I seemed to be using it so much (it’s our second vehicle now too) that I just didn’t get around to it. Saying that, we live right on the west coast of Anglesey and have palm trees in the garden and frosts are very rare. Perhaps I should make more of an effort this Winter as I don’t want a big bill….
Angleseygirl
Angleseygirl

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2022

Mr T likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:00 pm

There is a well known thing called Sod's Law.
I can therefore predict that West Wales will have the coldest weather ever if you don't properly empty your tanks, and the mildest ever if you do up! hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Angleseygirl and Mr T like this post

Back to top Go down