The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water drain tap

+4
Cymro
Roopert
Dbvwt
Sixshooterjim
8 posters

Go down

Water drain tap Empty Water drain tap

Post by Sixshooterjim Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:52 pm

I have recently bought a second hand 1996 duetto and having just returned from my first trip I discovered that my water tank was empty despite having filled it before leaving home.
On checking the documentation supplied by the previous owner I am informed of the existence of a drain tap but I cannot find it paperwork suggests it is above rear step but if it is its position escapes me
can anyone help?
Jim
Sixshooterjim
Sixshooterjim

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ditto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Water drain tap Empty Re: Water drain tap

Post by Dbvwt Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Hi, I’m sure someone with more knowledge of the Duetto than me will be along soon but you could fill it up again and see where the water is leaking from.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:17 pm

Dbvwt wrote:fill it up again and see where the water is leaking from.

Agreed - IIRC it's a 60 litre+ tank, so it will definitely leave some evidence on the ground...

One of the problems with a van that's over 25 years old is that it's quite likely to have been altered by a previous owner - so it doesn't always help to know how it was when it left the factory!

At that time it was common for A/S to run the drain pipes (for both fresh and grey water tanks) from a spigot on the tank, via a short length of hose, to a simple nylon drain tap clipped to the underside of the sill (on the Duetto, typically on the driver's side, I think). The problem with this design is that the clips corrode and weaken, which allows the hose + drain tap to drop down onto the road, where the tap gets ground away as you drive along. So it's not uncommon for owners to modify that aspect of the van.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Roopert wrote: The problem with this design is that the clips corrode and weaken, which allows the hose + drain tap to drop down onto the road, where the tap gets ground away as you drive along. So it's not uncommon for owners to modify that aspect of the van.

That happened to my Clubman. Thereafter, I've always put a secondary means of support for the 2 drain taps: a simple length of wire wound around the tap and secured to the underside of the van. If the retaining clip fails, the pipe and tap won't hit the ground.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:37 pm

Same here... the Trooper now has stainless steel Terry clips, plus a nylon Ty-rap around the open end of each Terry clip!

I can recall just after I bought a Flair a few years back hearing an odd noise as I went over a speed bump - it was the sound of the droopy drain hose catching between wheel and speed bump, and getting ripped off the tank...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:42 pm

And they still use that method today,  well they did on my Duo, I think they still do .

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Water drain tap Empty water drain tap

Post by Sixshooterjim Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:14 pm

While I appreciate all the input from other, more knowledgeable, forum members it still leaves the question: where is it?
I apologise if I seem ungrateful but, as a pensioner in my seventies I find it difficult bending to look under the van and think that, if only I knew where to look , it would be so much simpler
Thanks again for all your efforts
Jim
Sixshooterjim
Sixshooterjim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:20 pm

As Roopert answered earlier,  it's clipped under a sill, the pipe held up by a terry clip, the hose having a tap at the end. Which side sill I can't say having not owned a Duetto but I'd guess drivers side.

Donator
Donator

Male

Dbvwt, Roopert, IanH and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:32 pm

Same on Exec
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Water drain tap Empty Drain tap

Post by Sixshooterjim Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 am

Now found it only remains to stop it leaking
Thanks for all the help
Jim
Sixshooterjim
Sixshooterjim

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm

Sixshooterjim wrote:Now found it only remains to stop it leaking
Thanks for all the help
Jim
If it's leaking from the tap you will need to replace the tap. New ones are easily sourced (ebay) and cheap. However replacing requires dropping the tank as the tap is secured by a nylon nut inside the tank.

It's a relatively simple job except the bolts securing the straps (holding the tank) will be well rusted and seized as AS in their penny pinching manner used cheap steel nuts and bolts. If after a good soaking in WD40 you are lucky enough to get them undone.....bin them and refit with stainless steel nuts and bolts which won't break the bank and you will have peace of mind if you need to drop the tank in another 10 years time they will come undone! If you cannot undo them, a grinder will have them off in seconds!

If you don't feel up to crawling around under the van, ask around at any small independent garage with a 4 post lift for a quote. Thats exactly what I did with the van I used to own and at £20 it was a no brainer!

The waste tank which is on the N/S of the van has a flexible pipe secured by a terry clip. The fresh water tank (O/S of vehicle) has the tap directly in the tank.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by edmason Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:30 pm

The other drain tap is for the water heater, and can be found under the O/S bench seat in the bottom of the locker nearest the sink. It allows you to drain the water heater over winter. The toggle must be pushed down/sideways to close the valve. Upright is open and all your water will drain away.
edmason
edmason

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:47 pm

edmason wrote:The other drain tap is for the water heater, and can be found under the O/S bench seat in the bottom of the locker nearest the sink. It allows you to drain the water heater over winter. The toggle must be pushed down/sideways to close the valve. Upright is open and all your water will drain away.
That sounds like the Truma water heater, we are talking about a 1996 Duetto which will have a Carver which you drain from outside through the plug in the vent.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down