The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help??

4 posters

Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty 1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help??

Post by Buckerst5 Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi I bought a restoration project, a 1984 Renault traffic t1000 1.6 petrol. The engine hasnt been run for three years. I tried to rotate the crankshaft pulley but the engine is well seized. So now comes the question. Because renault traffic engines are few and far between, mk 1 that is, what other alternatives can I use. According to Wikipedia the engine is the same as a Renault 18. But these are like hens teeth. Can other engines be used, say from a r19, megane etc? Or any diesels that dont use ecus etc? Please help as I'd like to go away soon and my daughter who is five is distraught. She loves this van and I don't want to scrap her. Sensible answers, no v8s etc..........
Buckerst5
Buckerst5

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Renault

Back to top Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty restoration

Post by murph Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Bucker,
Dont scrap it or replace the engine without taking the cylinder head off, just because you can't turn it by the pulley it doesnt mean it can't be freed off. My first motorcycle many years ago, was advertised as a runner but when I got it it was seized solid but I freed it and ran it for several years. If the piston tops seem in good order try pouring a small amount of diesel fuel down the bores as this was always considered to be good easing oil.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty Re: 1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help??

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am

murph wrote:Hi Bucker,
Dont scrap it or replace the engine without taking the cylinder head off, just because you can't turn it by the pulley it doesnt mean it can't be freed off. My first motorcycle many years ago, was advertised as a runner but when I got it it was seized solid but I freed it and ran it for several years. If the piston tops seem in good order try pouring a small amount of diesel fuel down the bores as this was always considered to be good easing oil.

Brian2
I agree with Brian but DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER WITH THE HEAD OFF! it's a wet liner engine and if you disturb the liners it's a complete strip-down to get them back/re-seated.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty Renault engine

Post by murph Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Frank,
I was not aware of the wet liners in this engine, they used to be fairly uncommon even in my mechanicing days though that was the sort of engine I might have a go at, (wouldnt touch the modern ones with sensors everywhere) The only other wet liner engine I have had apart was on a Citroen Light 15 that I owned back in the 1950s, as used by French police years ago.

Brian2

PS As the forums expert on these engines can you suggest a way of holding the liners in place so that the engine can be turned over.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty Re: 1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help??

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm

murph wrote:

PS As the forums expert on these engines can you suggest a way of holding the liners in place so that the engine can be turned over.

Put the cylinder head back on!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm

murph wrote: PS As the forums expert on these engines can you suggest a way of holding the liners in place so that the engine can be turned over.
Well! I ain't no expert on nuffin but:
The accepted procedure is to remove the pushrods & all the head bolts except one in the middle, which is just slackened.
You then swivel the head through 90 degrees to break the seal between the head, gasket & liners.
The liners are then held in place with a combination of head bolts, spacer & large washers.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

1984 Renault traffic rv50, need engine help?? Empty CORRECTION

Post by boxerman Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 am

boxerman wrote:
You then swivel the head through 90 degrees to break the seal between the head, gasket & liners.
Frank
The head won't swivel though 90 degrees on the 1647 due to the camshaft sprocket, just swivel it as far at it will go to break the seal.
And I forgot to mention that you'll need to remove the distributor too.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down