The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT.

+2
murph
DVW
6 posters

Go down

1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT. Empty 1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT.

Post by DVW Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi, hope someone can help. I have a 1992 T4 trident. When I am on site and connected to the mains power supply, I find that after a few days my leisure battery has drained due to interior lights, fan for gas heater etc. I assumed that being connected to the mains would keep the leisure battery charged but I find eventually I have to start the engine up for 10 minutes or so each day to recharge the leisure battery again. Can anyone advise if this is normal or is there any way of converting the electrics to enable the mains connection to keep the leisure battery charged. The other thing I have found is that the 12 volt supply only appears to be active when the ignition is switched on which means a temporary stop somwhere results in the fridge not running as the 12 volt has switched off with the ignition. Again wondered if anyone can advise/confirm if this issue is normal.Thanks again, David.
DVW

Auto-Sleeper Model : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT. Empty Re: 1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 am

David
The 12V supply is operating correctly. The fridge will draw significant current when running on 12V and is only enabled when the engine is running. If you stop for a long time away from electric hookup and are concerned then put the fridge on gas.

On the charging issue, when on hook up I assume that you have switched on your charger ?(sorry for ther daft question). If so you may have a problem with the charger. As quick check switch on a 12V light then turn on the charger and see if the light goes brighter. If so the charger is probably OK. Try this first and let us know how you get on.

Hope this help.

John

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT. Empty Battery charging

Post by murph Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 am

Hi David,
As Hoopman has said as the fridge drawers a large amount of power on 12 volt, so it is set up so that it will not work on 12v when not being charged by the engine.
There will be a battery charger somewhere on the van which keeps the battery charged when on electric hookup, these usually have a built in switch fitted to them to enable them to be switched off, this is the switch which may be off. You will have to find the charger which could be almost anywhere, but hopefully somebody with a similar year Trident as you will come on and tell you where to look. On our van it is under a white plastic cover in the floor of the wardrobe.
It is normal for the 12 volt system in the habitation area not to work (except the fridge) when the ignition is switched on. If the charger switch is on then it might be the battery itself
If you have to change it fit a proper leisure battery supplied by a reputable dealer, this type of battery has a different internal design to a starter battery, starter batteries should not be used as leisure batteries as they will not last long in this role.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT. Empty Re: 1992 T4 TRIDENT LEISURE BATTERY/12 VOLT.

Post by Peel Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I only recently discovered my charger switch, although this hadn't caused me problems. Perhaps your leisure battery is old?
Anyway, click here for details of the switch and more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by DVW Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks guys, never realised there was a seperate charger switch. Have checked in the places mentioned but not found it so far. Will keep hunting though.

Thanks again, David.
DVW

Back to top Go down

Post by cjp0349 Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

If you find it David can you post it on here were it is. I have a 92 Trooper and had no idea there was a charger switch, although I notice on Peels link someone mentions it is an optional extra so we might not have one.

Cheers

Carl
cjp0349
cjp0349

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 am

The charger was a factory extra I believe, so yours may not have it. Ditto the waste water tank.
spook69
spook69

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident (VW T4)

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 am

Double post sorry, mods please delete.

Last edited by spook69 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
spook69
spook69

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spook69 Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:07 am

Double post sorry, mods please delete.
spook69
spook69

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chalky Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 am

Hi DVW,

I've got a 1996 VW Talent, on mine the charger is in a small cupboard beneath the fridge.

There's a green light when it's turned on, hope this helps.

Regards

Chalky.
chalky
chalky

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by DVW Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi guys,

I have looked in all the places suggested but not found the leisure battery charging switch. I phoned Autosleeper today and spoke to one of their workshop technicians. Apparantly on the early T4 s, if the option was taken, the switch was located in one of 3 places. Either in one of the 2 cupboards under the sink, under the passenger seat or else under the floor panel of the cupboard where the baskets hang inside. This is the deep cupboard between the sink and the wardrope. Underneath this floor panel is where the workings are for the blown heating. Unfortunately I haven't found a switch so can only assume the option wasn't taken. Hope this might help any others hunting for the switch. Thanks again though for everyone's help and suggestions.

David.
DVW

Back to top Go down