The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bed Extension ?

4 posters

Go down

Bed Extension ? Empty Bed Extension ?

Post by Bill Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:02 pm

I am on my own now and sleep on the nearside single bunk of my Symbol.  Is there any simple way of extending the length of the offside single bunk ?  Many thanks.  Bill
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bed Extension ? Empty Re: Bed Extension ?

Post by Dbvwt Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Hi Bill, this is something I have also thought about before on my 2018 Symbol but other projects got in the way!
I did investigate it and my first thoughts were that there were just a couple raised notches on the drivers seat runners that could easily be flattened allowing the seat to be slid forward allowing a longer bed.
I would be interested in your thoughts on this, it’s on my list to do.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:33 am

Dbvwt wrote:Hi Bill, this is something I have also thought about before on my 2018 Symbol but other projects got in the way!
I did investigate it and my first thoughts were that there were just a couple raised notches on the drivers seat runners that could easily be flattened allowing the seat to be slid forward allowing a longer bed.
I would be interested in your thoughts on this, it’s on my list to do.
Before I got the Symbol (2017) I saw several vans where the seat cushion formed the bed 'head' section so this seems a bit of a waste on the Symbol.  I need to look more closely at the seat runners.  Bill
Bill
Bill

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:14 am

If I remember, the raised notches were just end stops and not anything to do with the seat locking mechanism. It would allow the seat to be slid just a bit further forward, obviously there would be a gap that would need to be addressed.
I did look at swivelling the seat round but I think it was a bit too high and too much faff, especially if on levelling ramps.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Wed May 04, 2022 11:47 am

We considered the symbol but only if l could work out a way to increase the bed length. I'm 6'6" and most beds are just too short. We opted for the Trident, my feet hang off the end but at least it gives a comfortable nights sleep. I considered cutting out about a 22" x 22" section from the wall behind the rear single seat to allow my legs extra space. That bit seemed to be just storage for cushions and making a shelf at the right height would allow a cushion underneath. Possibly the wall with the cut-out would need strengthening. However we opted for the Trident instead so l never found out if it really was a viable option.  Let us know how you get on.
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed May 04, 2022 2:01 pm

When we had our Symbol we found that by partially pulling out the offside bed, still allowing space to move between the two single beds, and dropping the backrest down vertically behind the seat cushion, it provided a more comfortable sleep possible as feet did not hit the irritating flap table and could overhang a bit if necessary. It gave the impression of a wider bed. The extension board cushion was still used in the "under the front seat" position.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL

Back to top Go down