The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol thermal screen cover

+3
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
Sammybobby
7 posters

Go down

Symbol thermal screen cover Empty Symbol thermal screen cover

Post by Sammybobby Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:05 am

I'm looking for advice on getting a screen cover for my 2000 symbol. Would anyone recommend one or know a company that sells them l would be very grateful.  Thanks Sam
Sammybobby
Sammybobby

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Symbol thermal screen cover Empty Re: Symbol thermal screen cover

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:14 am

If you want an external insulated screen cover, you'll be hard pushed to better Taylormade or Silverscreen. Both have websites.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 am

As Tinwheeler says, Taylormade or Silverscreens, we've had both over the years on different vans. You do need the correct version for your model & year of base vehicle, should be clear from their websites or else give them a call to be sure. 

Our current one is the long version Taylormade that covers the scuttle, minimising water on the gearbox issues. It comes in three parts, one on each side door then the main panel joined with Velcro which makes it easier to fit and remove than the single piece ones, especially in breezy conditions. The main panel can be partly folded down for light and views during the day without removing the whole thing. 

It also has magnetic 'hedgehogs' which attach to Velcro strips along the bottom to help keep it from flapping in the wind.

They can be squeezed when rolling up to remove some air making them more compact to pack away in their bag. If they are wet when removed, rather than packing them we travel with them in the shower.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammybobby Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:29 pm

Hello Tinwheeler and Rogerblack thank you both for your advice l looked at silverscreens website and will call Monday to see if they have any for my van in stock.. Planning a trip at the weekend so need it to keep the van warmer at night. 
Cheers Sam
Sammybobby
Sammybobby

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:02 pm

You’ll find they vastly reduce condensation on the cab windows by providing insulation.

If there’s no joy from Silverscreens, try Taylormade as they’re as good as each other. Check out, too, classified ads both on this site and elsewhere as they often come up for sale. I sold one myself last year.

Enjoy your trip.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:43 am

Lots of great info ! I’m interested too. Can anyone share any comments as to how much of a difference they actually make to internal van temp?  Just back from highland trip , minus temps and snow.....running small oil heater at front end of van to keep dogs warm and wondering if these screens will make an impact on temp inside.

Lorraine
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:14 am

Lorfal, they do make a huge difference!  

In our van, the only windows that are not double glazed are the windscreen and side cab windows, so they are the biggest area of thermal transfer. If you ever try using internal screens, the resulting condensation will be evidence of that. 

We also run a small oil filled radiator but only need it on low for background and it doesn't come on anywhere near as often or for as long with the screens on.

We also use the screens in the summer, particularly when we go to France, and during the daytime they make a huge difference if parked on an unshaded pitch in helping to stop unbearably high temperatures building up inside the van.

Since the van's own curtains are between the cab area and the habitation area, i.e. behind the cab seats, if we use those for privacy instead of the screens, besides being hardly effective for thermal insulation we also lose the use of the cab area, including our passenger swivel seat, whereas when we fit the external Taylormade screens then the curtains become redundant and we have full privacy to use the whole cab area.

Lastly, although you can make sure the cab vents are in recirc mode to minimise draughts, since we have the long screens which cover the scuttle this also helps prevent cold draughts when it's windy outside.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:19 am

Thankyou for that! I’m off to look at ordering some up!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarjar Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am

The Taylor made site has an option 'Remis blinds fitted'. Presumably this is the concertina windscreen blind, but in my ignorance l cannot see what difference that would make to an external blind. Can anyone elucidate?
Jarjar
Jarjar

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:17 am

Some vans have Remis concertina blinds on the side cab windows. External thermal screens are normally attached by means of envelope sections on the inside of the cab doors, so presumably some provision has to be made if these have the Remis blinds fitted.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Jarjar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:If you want an external insulated screen cover, you'll be hard pushed to better Taylormade or Silverscreen. Both have websites.
Don't bother with Taylormade as they have suspended paying on line sometime ago because they were getting too many orders.  I couldn't see any note on the website but the payment screen just errors !!

Shame one of the big companies can't take these sort of things on as there is obviously a market there.  Sounds like a job for Dragons Den !!
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:17 pm

What a pity, because I have found my external Taylor-made Paragon screen cover to be excellent.  But glad to hear that it's too many orders rather than not enough, so they should be OK.

Whilst you can't pay online, are they accepting telephone orders and payments?  Have a try.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:08 pm

" I couldn't see any note on the website but the payment screen just errors !!"

Big message right across their home page:

Orders on the website are currently disabled. Please call 01484 661 918 for any enquiries.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:10 pm

There you go. That suggests ordering by phone could be possible.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:30 am

rogerblack wrote:" I couldn't see any note on the website but the payment screen just errors !!"

Big message right across their home page:

Orders on the website are currently disabled. Please call 01484 661 918 for any enquiries.

I must say I missed that unless it went on after they contacted me.   Good that they are reaping the benefits of the increase sales of motorhomes but seems a serious case for Dragons Den LOL !
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 pm

The problem with companies getting investment and going big or merging with others is that quality often suffers. Just look at the offerings from the big amalgamated caravan/motorhome producers for evidence of that. Symbol thermal screen cover 1f626
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:32 pm

I wonder if they've done this to ensure that the new motorhome owners who may not be as au fait with the different base vehicles order the correct version for their motorhome/campervan?

I know when we ordered ours I had a chat with them on the phone just to be sure as our 2002 is from around the time the Boxer design changed and I wanted ot be 100% certain of ordering the right version.

I've always found them very helpful, same when I order the bonnet cover and more recently some extra 'hedgehogs' as we get very gusty winds here by the coast in Scotland.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:59 am

Tinwheeler wrote:The problem with companies getting investment and going big or merging with others is that quality often suffers. Just look at the offerings from the big amalgamated caravan/motorhome producers for evidence of that. Symbol thermal screen cover 1f626
I agree.  Just like when Duvalay went on Dragons Den and soon after got the 'Swift' contract.  Bill
Bill
Bill

Male

Back to top Go down