The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU

+8
v8oholic
AutoSleepy_Don
Caraman
rogerblack
Tinwheeler
glyne lock
Roopert
JC
12 posters

Go down

Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU Empty Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU

Post by JC Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:07 pm

I have been given conflicting advice! The AA breakdown man (very competent) said the vehicle battery(1 month old) was damaged. The Dealer said it was Ok and found the Leisure battery was hot and distorted. 
I now have had both replaced. Can I leave the Van on permanent EHU in the garden, happy in the knowledge that the Control panel will switch from one to the other as required without damaging either?
Advice gratefully accepted.
JC
JC

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Brian6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU Empty Re: Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU

Post by Roopert Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:35 pm

Unfortunately it's difficult to be certain about what power control system you have, and the answer is dependent on that. At some point between 2014 and 2018, A/S changed from using the Sargent EC155 to the EC500, The former does not have "smart charging", and the latter does.

My own personal experience of the more recent Sargent power supply/chargers is that you can leave the EHU permanently connected up and it will do no harm to the battery/batteries, but some people are more cautious and set up (for example) a simple 7-day timer so that the EHU is only on - and the charger powered up - for maybe one day a week. That should be enough to keep the battery topped up, typically.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU Empty Re: Charging leisure and vehicle batteries on EHU

Post by JC Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:35 pm

Many thanks Roopert. Fortunately we have an EC500 and will leave the EHU connected. We will however try to monitor the batteries status (?stati)
JC
JC

Female

Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 am

One further point: it is possible to configure the EC500 such that Smart Charging is disabled. If you have owned the van from new then it is fair to assume that it is enabled - that is the default setting. If you have not, you cannot assume that a previous owner has not had it disabled (for whatever reason) - though it is unlikely IMO that they would have done.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
In the settings in the controller you will get setting as my picture for smart mode for your charging
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Why do people feel that they need to leave the van connected while at home. You never would with a car so why do it with your van ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:20 pm

Bigplumbs wrote:Why do people feel that they need to leave the van connected while at home. You never would with a car so why do it with your van ?
This has been explained lots of times already and if you keep letting you batteries drain will shorten the life
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Bigplumbs wrote:Why do people feel that they need to leave the van connected while at home. You never would with a car so why do it with your van ?
You’ve obviously never had a car with so many electronic gizmos fitted that the battery would flatten in 2 weeks if not used!

I plug the van in for the same reason - to make sure the engine starts when needed.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:10 pm

Actually we do so often with any of our cars which is left unattended and not likely to be used for some time, as otherwise the alarm system, tracker etc is likely to drain the battery, just as it does with the van. I have CTEK smart charger plugs connected to the batteries of them all, so it's an easy job. As we split our time between Fife and Berkshire, often leaving a vehicle on the drive at one or other location for several weeks at a time it is necessary, as it is when we travel in the van for lengthy trips leaving the cars behind.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain and orac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:33 pm

On a modern vehicle, be it a car or motorhome, the vehicle electrics which may include an alarm are constantly draining the vehicle battery even when the vehicle is not being used.  Self-discharge will also reduce the battery's State Of Charge (SOC).  If the vehicle is not used regularly there is then a risk that the vehicle battery will go flat if it is not given a mains or solar charge.  If neither charge is available and the vehicle is out of use for long periods, its best to disconnect the vehicle battery which disables the vehicle electrics and the alarm if fitted.

A motorhome's leisure battery has a similar problem.  If the habitation electrics and power control system are not switched off, they can quickly flatten the battery if it it is not given a mains or solar charge.  Long regular drives will help to maintain the battery's SOC but the leisure battery charge from the alternator is often not that efficient just as it isn't on a caravan.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:15 am

I drive the car every day.
My motorbike is permanently connected to a battery charger all winter.  If I didn't, I would need to buy a new battery every spring.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:50 am

Once again the curse of modern equipment draining batteries. No wonder the planet has so many issues associated with energy use
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am

Bigplumbs wrote:Once again the curse of modern equipment draining batteries. No wonder the planet has so many issues associated with energy use

It's not really a curse. Modern equipment has become more functional, and it's inevitable that it takes more power. But in parallel with that, manufacturers have been steadily cutting power consumption, so it balances out to an extent.

A great example is the mobile phone - my current cheapo Motorola has a battery that lasts about as long as the ones in my Nokia of 20 years ago, but it has GPS, motion sensing, mobile data, a camera and a whole load of other functions added. And although it's popular to assert that all of these extra features are unwanted, many people do actually use the camera, mobile broadband and the GPS features in their phones.

My recollection of the electrical systems in motorhomes of 25 or more years ago is that they were generally pretty crude, and the same is true of engine management. Our Transit based conversion used to struggle to get above 20MPG overall, while my current (8 year old) van will achieve double that. That improvement in completely dependent on the computing power of modern ECUs, and that inevitably takes more battery power.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:27 pm

Without wishing to start another yet solar discussion... I'll just mention that even the standard 80W panel and Sargent controller they fit nowadays are quite capable of keeping both batteries topped up from beginning of March until maybe mid November. But for the depths of winter, EHU is one answer, and it shouldn't do any harm leaving it connected.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:48 pm

I found to my cost that the Sargent control unit on our new 2020/21 Van drains the batteries completely. We were away by silver bird in the sky to Spain for a fortnight in feb. The van was covered so no PV at all and I thought I had switched everything off. Fridge, WiFi lights etc. Nope - didn't know about the big black switch on the control unit under the bunk. Bloomin dealer should have told me. Batteries seem ok but I know that they don't like full discharge/recharge. Particularly the vehicle battery.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashman Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:00 pm

With my MH being in storage over winter and no EHU on site or roof-mounted panel, I purchased a 4.8W solar battery trickle charger. Since it was last used in November, I have brought the MH home each month to hook it up to the mains but in between the little solar panel has kept the vehicle battery topped up nicely, even during the darkest days of winter. I have not had a single instance of the battery struggling to turn the engine over. It will never charge a depleted battery but for keeping it in shape, at £29.00, it was a cost-effective solution.
Crashman
Crashman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:02 pm

Victor Johnstone wrote:I found to my cost that the Sargent control unit on our new 2020/21 Van drains the batteries completely. We were away by silver bird in the sky to Spain for a fortnight in feb. The van was covered so no PV at all and I thought I had switched everything off. Fridge, WiFi lights etc. Nope - didn't know about the big black switch on the control unit under the bunk. Bloomin dealer should have told me. Batteries seem ok but I know that they don't like full discharge/recharge. Particularly the vehicle battery.
My 'blooming dealer' told me to leave the 'big black switch on the control unit under the bunk' well alone and that the solar panel would keep everything charged.  Even Sargent in their most recent e-mail titled 'AS Monitor - Security Recommendations' said:

'If your motorhome is parked outside and has a solar panel fitted, it is recommended to keep the leisure battery connected, to have the power supply unit (PSU) turned on, and to turn off the control panel over the door.  The solar panel should provide enough energy to keep the leisure and vehicle batteries charged, and the tracking / communication unit will monitor the batteries and let you know if they need charging (if you have enabled email and SMS alerts or have a tracking to determine if it needs charging). 
If the motorhome is parked undercover in a building or carport or has a storage cover fitted that blocks the solar panel or the vehicle doesn’t have a solar panel installed, then it is recommended to turn the PSU off and leave the leisure battery fitted and connected. ...' 

It's hardly surprising that when such bad advice is given that owners end up with flat batteries!  My advice is turn it off if the van isn't being used.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Victor Johnstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:44 pm

We live and learn.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Caraman wrote:
'It's hardly surprising that when such bad advice is given that owners end up with flat batteries!  My advice is turn it off if the van isn't being used.
Also it doesn't help when we talk about switching off when we mean shutdown.  Turning the power off is not enough.  Thanks Sargent.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Dbvwt and Victor Johnstone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker51 Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:35 am

Had this from Sargent today.

The Ec155 does have a fixed voltage charger which constantly output 13.8V so ideally is to switch the charger off when the battery is fully charged but for your peace of mind I suggest to contact the battery manufacturer to find out if they are happy with a floating voltage of 13.8 for extended periods. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Team
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoff Pollard Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:53 pm

Is it normal for the Leisure Battery to get hot while in use? Not too hot to touch but certainly hot enough to warm the metal bed frame of my Warwick XL.
Geoff Pollard
Geoff Pollard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:04 am

Geoff Pollard wrote:Is it normal for the Leisure Battery to get hot while in use? Not too hot to touch but certainly hot enough to warm the metal bed frame of my Warwick XL.
I've never noticed any of my batteries getting hot.  If its getting hot when fully charged and connected to an EHU with the charger on, I would say there is definitely something wrong.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down