The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap

3 posters

Go down

Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap Empty Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap

Post by Arron Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:45 am

Hi All,
A slow drip has developed between the drain tap and the freshwater tank on my year 2000 Symbol. I noticed it when I was flushing the system for the start of the season. It had some sort of white sealant around the body of the tap and the tank which had disbonded. It looked like quite a neat job so I assume that it had been on there from new. I've removed the sealant and thumbed on some boss white in its place and time will tell if it has cured the leak or not (see photo).

My question is does anyone know if the hole in the tank is threaded or whether there is a locking nut on the inside of the tank that the tap screws onto like in a waterbut? I'll like to unscrew it to do a better job but don't want to make matters worse confused3

Tried uploading photo but given up on that now
Arron

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive SE 2.8L
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap Empty Re: Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap

Post by mikemelson Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:04 pm

What photo??

Of course the tank is not threaded, you can't expect A/S to make things easy!
Years ago I had the same problem when the tap lever broke, I started unscrewing it & realised there was a locking nut on the inside, so I waited until everything had dried out to put a load of sealant around the tap.
I now have to use pliers to turn the tap. I did think of jacking the van up & trying to get my arm to the locking nut but took the easy way out.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap Empty Re: Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap

Post by Arron Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Arron

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive SE 2.8L
Vehicle Year : 2003

Peter Chandler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Annoying Drip Around Freshwater Drain Tap Empty Water tap

Post by Peter Chandler Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:40 pm

I have just changed the drain tap on my fresh water tank on my 1998 Symphony. Very similar to your picture. The tap has a lock nut on the inside of the tank so I cut the tap off with a junior hacksaw and was able to push the inside nut into the corner of the tank with my finger. The hole is not threaded and the tap I got from AS slid into the hole so I fixed it in with some sealant called "Sticks like S**t" (real name). I have left it for a couple of weeks while I did another job to do with the water system and filled the tank the other day and it didn't leak. Hope that helpsĀ smile!

Last edited by Peter Chandler on Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add comment on seeing photograph)
Peter Chandler
Peter Chandler

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down