The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love or List my 2000 Harmony?

5 posters

Go down

Love or List my 2000 Harmony? Empty Love or List my 2000 Harmony?

Post by aeronet Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:00 pm

I own a (very, very) low mileage 2000 petrol Boxer Harmony which I'm thinking of selling for various reasons. It's one of those situations where I've spent a considerable amount (including a really nice full external refurb just completed) - probably way more than I can recover. In any case I'm hoping to get £15-16k which I realise is at the upper end of what's been sold recently, even allowing for the fact that prices seem to have crept up a bit. I wondered if anyone had experience of classic vehicle auctions with a hefty reserve as a way to sell? My rationale is that I'm in Scotland and the last time I advertised it (pre-external tidy up) I never managed to attract anyone to view it in person but had plenty of enquiries from hundreds of miles away, though many were time wasters. I could go the broker route but we've had some dodgy ones around here recently so I'd probably have to go further afield. I don't particularly want to sell it privately as I no longer have a drive (but will have a go if that's thought to be the best route). Because of it's very good condition I'd be happy for anyone having an engineer's report pre-purchase - should I offer to knock that cost off the price for an actual purchaser? And of course I do realise I can advertise it over in the classifieds when the time comes too!
In summary - auction / broker or private? Any other tips?
Or maybe I should just love the shiny thing!
Thanks.
aeronet
aeronet

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Love or List my 2000 Harmony? Empty Re: Love or List my 2000 Harmony?

Post by IanH Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:30 pm

For me, dealer every time, heres why.....

You dont have to accept price, you wont get what you might privately, perhaps
Payment should be instant by bank transfer, private buyers can come up with all manner of ideas!
Once its paid for, it goes away, never to be seen again
If private you risk all manner of post sale hassle....the bathroom lights not working, why wont gas light, etc,etc,etc.
No advertising costs, no phone calls mostly, probably nuisance ones from all manner of time wasters, scammers, just one deal and gone.

Have now bought 3 of 5 privately, sold 4 to dealers. Once price agreed, qick check to confirm its what you say it is, cash transfer to bank, away it goes.

Never considered auction but wouldnt do it.

Each, however, to his/her own.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:28 pm

I agree with Ian. 

I wonder whether a 2000 vehicle is actually old enough to raise interest at a classics auction?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 am

There are 20 dealers in MMM wanting stock at top price paid.
Only a phone call ,maybe free.
Your get trade price quickly.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by aeronet Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:21 pm

Thanks all - I know what you are saying is probably right - but even those dealers can be chancers - I had a local one take a look last year and he put on an act of poking around in the wheel arches (which are sound, I have pictures from the last time it was on a ramp) ["yeh they always go here (sharp intake of breath through teeth) this is going to cost a lot to sort out....the highest I can go is £8k and that's pushing it"]- I'm sure you know that sort of thing....perhaps I need to find a dealer who'd give a top px against a car or something to get max no-comeback value..... Re Tinwheeler's point - yeh I took a look and some classic auctions take anything low mileage / bit unusual 15+ years old  but not necessarily classic...but they also have some hefty sellers fees payable whatever....so perhaps not.
aeronet
aeronet

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinch Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm

@aeronet

About to buy a Harmony (1999) and plan to update the interior. Would be great to see some images of what you've done if you can be bothered at some point?
Jinch
Jinch

Male

Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down