The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairford solar panel output

+4
Weegie
bikeralw
Relaxez-Vous
Timbailey
8 posters

Go down

Fairford solar panel output Empty Fairford solar panel output

Post by Timbailey Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:51 pm

We recently bought a 2018 Fairford with roof mounted solar panel. Even on a cloudless sunny day the display above the door is only showing a maximum output of 0.3 amps. I’m not sure that’s right and not enough to charge either the leisure or vehicle battery.

Can anyone help with the reading and output  rate from a similar Autosleeper. We have the EC500 PSU and 480 control panel, 80w solar panel.

Thanks
Timbailey
Timbailey

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Fairford solar panel output Empty Re: Fairford solar panel output

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Are you certain your solar panel is clean and free of any debris like leaves, bird droppings? What are your batteries voltages, if your van is off EHU I expect their voltages to be down. If they are fully charged solar charging current can be low, nevertheless 0.3amps of solar charging seems low if it is sunny.

In winter though, few hours of daylight, dull days, thin wiring used to connect up the solar panel, a poorly made connection, perhaps a low efficiency solar controller, reliance on Sargent's Smart charging rather than you having a directly connect MPPT solar controller, all might explain why you only have 0.3 amps Can you get a voltmeter on the solar panel wires coming into your van? Recently when I was checking I needed the solar panels (2 x 80W in parallel) to be above about 19 volts before much charging was happening. I have now wired them in series as a trial.

Perhaps in the summer your existing solar set up is adequate, not necessarily maximised.

Last edited by Relaxez-Vous on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Timbailey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Different controls on my older van, but the 85W roof mounted solar panel was putting out about one amp at noon today. It was sunny and cloudless, but at this time of year the sun is hitting the panel at a very low angle so not much can be expected.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:17 pm

We have the same set up and that seems about right - we probably don't even get that much this far north. 

Remember, it's also December and the sun doesn't climb very high, so, the light is hitting your horizontal solar panel at a very shallow angle. See what the display says mid June with the sun directly overhead!
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbailey Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Thank you folks for your replies - our 2008 Symbol was. ASIC and perhaps I need to stop watching the display
Timbailey
Timbailey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:00 am

Timbailey, the problems with the stock solar setup in recent vans are very well documented on here, especially over winter so I’m not surprised by your readings.
I’m sure you are already aware but it’s good practice this time of year to connect to the EHU to keep both batteries topped up. I had the exact same setup as you and found connecting to the EHU for one day every week kept everything in good shape.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:55 am

Dbvwt wrote:Timbailey, the problems with the stock solar setup in recent vans are very well documented on here, especially over winter so I’m not surprised by your readings.
I’m sure you are already aware but it’s good practice this time of year to connect to the EHU to keep both batteries topped up. I had the exact same setup as you and found connecting to the EHU for one day every week kept everything in good shape.
Some good advice.  up!   , I'm hooked up 24/7 and charge  up every 4 to 5 days in the really cold weather when the temperature are down, especially during the frosty periods. I have the bog standard Ec500 set up with 80 watt sp.
Have a nice day 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 am

Since our recent habitation check in October we have noticed that both batteries don't hold their charge very well. Probably just a coincidence as the weather has been pretty grey and days shorter ever since.
We have checked through to make sure nothing was left on apart from the "normal battery drain".
We just have the standard set up of solar panel, EC500 & 480. 
Last year we managed with connecting EHU for a day, every 4 days or so to maintain a good level, but this year, have found it necessary for more frequent charging so we are now leaving it on EHU 24/7 and have a drive out when we can. The EC500 is left on.
As the vehicle was not new to us it is difficult to know how well the batteries, assuming original, had been cared for but we will see how things go through the winter. It could well be that they need replacing but will check that out next year.
As a matter of interest I have just checked the solar reading at 11:50  today and it is 0.2, but it is another grey cloudy day today. I will check again on the next sunny day....
p.s. Also must get the ladder out and clean the roof including the solar panel. I have to admit that it does look a bit mucky when viewing from an upstairs window:smile!:

Last edited by SENTINEL on Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyB Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:19 pm

Same setup as you,have not been used for 3 weeks.EC500 switched off,Todays readings are Leisure 13.2V and 100% capacity,Vehicle 12.5v.The solar charge is 0.3 like yours.If i leave the EC500 on,and the smart charging goes over to vehicle,the solar increases to about 0.7.I find over the winter if i turn the EC500 on if we get a sunny day,both batteries stay quite healthy.Fortunate that my vehicle battery only loses charge very slowly. Regards Tony
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Tony, that’s about as good a result that I’ve heard of to date on vans with the EC500 and stock setup up! 
You are fortunate as you say that your vehicle battery loses charge that slowly, I thought mine was good when it took a week before it needed a charge!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyB Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:53 pm

Dealer fitted a new vehicle battery when I bought it in June last year.I suspect the absence of any electronic addons is having some effect.It appears to behave like my cars battery which will happily sit in an airport without going down too much after 3 weeks.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbailey Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:35 am

Again great to hear other peoples experience. Thanks.
Timbailey
Timbailey

Male

Back to top Go down