The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet??

+6
Bartfarst
whisky
murph
Dutto
modelman
MrsGrey
10 posters

Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet??

Post by MrsGrey Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:33 pm

So I'm getting all set for the first trip in my 1998 Duetto. On Thursday I leave for a mud-bath festival. Feeling pretty anxious about the getting stuck issue, but that is another story...
It seems a good idea to check the grey water is empty but I seem to have no note from the hand-over as to where it is. scratch head The handbook doesn't mention it at all -- just says to empty it . Please can you tell me?! Feel pretty stupid about that, but hey-ho.
Thank you, kind people.
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty Re: Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet??

Post by modelman Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Its NOT a Duetto, but on my Talisman, the fresh & grey water drains are valves at the end of 1" dia flexable plastic hoses which are terry-clipped to the

inside of the RH inner sills, you may have to lay on a mat & have a 'peek' under smile!

regards

Last edited by modelman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty Re: Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet??

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi there,

It's clipped to the chassis underneath the cill on the near-side just forward of the back wheel.

Push it away from yourself to un-clip and pull towards yourself to clip. AS are a bit mean on hose length so a bit of pipe on the end is helpful when trying to park over a drain.

Enjoy.
drinksallround

PS To minimise grey water tank smells we use either Concentrated Orange Juice (28p from Tesco) or a bio-washing tablet.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Phew-- thanks for the info and also the tips about smells -- these things are joys I have yet to discover.... hugegrins
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty Grey water

Post by murph Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Jinney,
From what Dutto tells us your pipe should be somthing like this, which is an extra drain that I have fitted on our van, note the fitting on the end, a half turn connector which enables me to connect an extra length of pipe to reach out of the way road drains, I also have a short lenth with the foot of a ladies stocking over the end so that when draining you do not deposit all sorts of food residue.
The fittings for the end if you decide to fit them are available from C A K Tanks in Kenilworth, telephone 0844 4142324.

Brian2

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? LPIC0175
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Brian, I think that will have to be for the next trip -- at least now I know where the drain is! That's a start and I can refine later...
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

Dutto wrote:

PS To minimise grey water tank smells we use either Concentrated Orange Juice (28p from Tesco) or a bio-washing tablet.

Stupid question time again: how do you get the bio washing tab into the tank? dissolve it in water in the sink and wash it down? Do you think straight bio washing liquid from a bottle would work as well?
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Jinny.

I do my tanks twice a year using milton steralizing fluid. I just pour in about half a cup into the fresh water tank filler, run the van around for a day or so. Then run it out of the taps into the waste tank, this time I run around and leave it in for about three days. After that drain down waste tank and flush through both tanks a couple of times with fresh water. ( censored the hose pipe ban.) Might be overdoing it a bit but never had any bad smells or tainted fresh water.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Sounds like a really thorough regime. For later -- thanks. up!
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty Grey water tanks

Post by murph Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Jinney,
We use about a 1/4 of a bottle of Zoflora or similar concentrated distinfectant down the kitchen sink this kills smells in the pipe and tank.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm

MrsGrey wrote:
Dutto wrote:

Stupid question time again: how do you get the bio washing tab into the tank? dissolve it in water in the sink and wash it down? Do you think straight bio washing liquid from a bottle would work as well?
Jinny

Jinny,

We just crumble it into the sink and rinse it down with a bit of water.

Bio liquid (which we use in the toilet flush system) would probably work just as well.

Because we use our van winter and summer we never bother going through the "sterilise everything" route but if you are likely to lay your van up for the winter then it would be wise to sterilise, flush and drain everything (especially the water heater) before winter frosts arrive.

Best regards,

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Jinny,

When you eventually find your grey waste pipe, every time after use go the extra mile to check that you've secured it back up again.

If you don't clip the pipe back up, or if the clip is weak or corroded, there's a risk that the pipe will dangle down, touch the road and work its way rearward to get stuck under the rear wheel as you're going along. If you're lucky this will pull the pipe off the tank, but if you're unlucky it will wrench the side off the tank or yank the whole tank off the vehicle. I've often considered fitting a chain from the cill to the end of the pipe so that, even if I left the pipe dangling, it would prevent the pipe getting under the rear wheel. It's always when you're in a hurry that such things are forgotten, particularly if you're 'at risk' where you're emptying your tanks: come on, most of us have had to do this at some stage, yes? On such occasions I've been penalised by quickly jumping back into the drivers seat only to sit on my new sunglesses. We all get what we deserve in the end!

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

whisky wrote:Hi Jinny.

I do my tanks twice a year using milton steralizing fluid. I just pour in about half a cup into the fresh water tank filler, run the van around for a day or so. Then run it out of the taps into the waste tank, this time I run around and leave it in for about three days. After that drain down waste tank and flush through both tanks a couple of times with fresh water. ( censored the hose pipe ban.) Might be overdoing it a bit but never had any bad smells or tainted fresh water.

Milton is really just diluted bleach, I use ordinary household bleach from the supermarket at a fraction of the price, chuck in a couple of glugs, leave overnight, then drive over the local speed-bumps & drain immediately, Job Done!
Another tip, buy some cheap paper napkins or tissues from the pound shop & thoroughly wipe all plates, dishes & pans etc. before washing up, but even then, some muck manages to get down the sink.
We also use these cheap tissues to "Lilypad" the loo prior to using.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm

mikemelson wrote:

Milton is really just diluted bleach, I use ordinary household bleach from the supermarket at a fraction of the price, chuck in a couple of glugs

Cannot disagree with Mike that Milton is a weaker bleach solution as all bleach is sodium hypochlorite and Milton is only 16.5%. The reason I use Milton is that I do both fresh and grey water tanks. Don't fancy using the so called neat bleach 40% stuff in the fresh tank due to its corrosive properties. If not used with care it can be an irritant and at worst burn skin. Still if its a cost thing "you pays your money and takes your choice" Either or they both work. up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ducki Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 am

Another way to clean your water Tanks is to disolve 4 or 5 steradent tablets in a jug and pour this into clean tank then pump this via your sink into grey tank,then run clean water through the whole system.. allthumbz
Ducki
Ducki

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 am

I always thought that Milton was Sodium Metabisulphide <sp?> in solution?

With regard to the grey waste drain, I friend of mine forgot to clip his up (on a Swift Mondial) and the road ground away the tap while he was driving and left him with a "bare ended" pipe. Considering what Bartfast said, he was lucky to get away with just that!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? Empty grey water tanks

Post by murph Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi All,
Another item which helps to keep food residue out of the grey tank is one of these filters, if you use a wash up bowl it can stay in the sink outlet permenantly, but if you use the sink to wash up in then you have to whip the plug out and the filter in quick. you would be amazed how much this keeps out. Price 50p to £1 from a hardware shop or at motorhome shows.

Help! Where's the grey water tank outlet?? LPIC0147
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 pm

MrsGrey wrote:So I'm getting all set for the first trip in my 1998 Duetto. On Thursday I leave for a mud-bath festival. Feeling pretty anxious about the getting stuck issue, but that is another story...
It seems a good idea to check the grey water is empty but I seem to have no note from the hand-over as to where it is. scratch head The handbook doesn't mention it at all -- just says to empty it . Please can you tell me?! Feel pretty stupid about that, but hey-ho.
Thank you, kind people.
Jinny

Hi Jinny

Glad to see you are off on your first trip. allthumbz

As "Dutto" correctly points out, it's just slightly forward of the rear wheel clipped to the sill underneath. The AS handbook has many weird anomalies such as you mention. Another good one is the Habitation fuses which are "located on the Relay Module adjacent to the Habitation battery under the drivers seat". Hmmm......nothing under my driver seat. Leisure battery is in the engine bay as are the Habitation fuses! Applicable to all Duetto's AFAIK but suppose it's AS covering all model types.

Don't worry....you won't be the only one wondering where this 'n that is!

Personally I think the retaining clip is rather poor quality and intend replacing mine with a stainless steel one.

Another point is to check seals on fresh water tank tap and also the drain plug to the hot water. I forgot to do this before setting off on my current trek around Poland and found a slight leak on both. Luckily it's not serious and bought a tube of stuff from Screwfix before leaving UK. Tried a couple of Caravan dealers whilst in Germany last week for a Carver plug washer but no luck so will sort it when back home.

Have fun in your "mud bath"! Hope to see some filthy photo's posted!! hugegrins hugegrins

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:36 pm

A few have mentioned various 'stink killers' on this thread so thought i'd add my tuppence worth.

Stayed a few days last week at a German friends house who, though not a MH'er is a "tugger". He asked me what I use for the toilet cassette so I told him Thetford "Blue". I have used a non-Thetford brand in the past but found it to be awful.

They have similar to Thetford in Germany but like UK it's quite pricey stuff so he told me many "tuggers" in Germany use a tablet called "Kurikur" which is used for cleaning dentures. Just drop a couple of tablets into the cassette when empty and job done. He gave me a tube before I left but so far I haven't 'road tested' it yet! I suppose the same stuff in UK is Steradent? No idea as though i'm an old fart, I still have my own teeth! hugegrins

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down