The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment

3 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment Empty Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment

Post by FraggleMD Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Hey all, 

As the proud owners of a 94 trident Autosleeper and our first trip under our belt, we love the van and the life that comes with it.  However we do have one issue.

The width of the rock and roll bed is proving a bit challenging.  We know that we need to give it a few more trips away before we make a final decision however has anyone had any success in increasing the width of the sleeping area?  Either by reducing down the cupboard space or taking them out completely (To be replaced with another cushion / foam - not to necessarily change the bed).

Or, considering everything is currently original and in really good condition would it be sacrilege to rip apart a perfectly good interior?  And also therefore impact any potential re-sale value?  If it makes any difference its a 2.5litre petrol auto which might make it a little rarer than some of the others?

Many thanks in advance
FraggleMD
FraggleMD

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment Empty Re: Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment

Post by Roopert Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:27 pm

FraggleMD wrote:Or, considering everything is currently original and in really good condition would it be sacrilege to rip apart a perfectly good interior?  And also therefore impact any potential re-sale value?
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The z-fold bed is (I believe) unique to A/S, so replacing it with a rock & roll would end up with all of the dimensions different. It would be near enough impossible to remove only part of the kitchen/cupboards unit along the driver's side, so you would be scrapping and rebuilding the lot - hard to do and still make it look "factory" and not "bodged"!

I suspect it would be simpler just to sell and buy a van such as a Bilbos Komba, which has a much wider bed.

However, one option that you might consider (if you haven't already) and that is modifying it to add a roof bed? Still not at all trivial, but that should involve less modification overall, I would think.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment Empty Re: Autosleeper Trident Sleeping adjustment

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:12 pm

The upper level in its supplied form might be your solution with a thicker mattress and a home made ladder say from a bunk bed. I agree with Roopert, I wouldn't take any of the cupboards out as the original A/S design would be lost for good, and IMHO you would never get the cost back on resale!
Give it a try a few more times would be my advice!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 pm

The upper level in its supplied form has a 40kg limit I believe I.e designed for two small kids so not really an option. Do give the main bed a chance - we have had ours fir 4 months now and it’s fine. For me the length is more important than the width and it’s fine.
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down