The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer?

+3
PLOUGHLIN
RogerThat
KPUK
7 posters

Go down

Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer? Empty Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer?

Post by KPUK Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

We hope you're all having fun!  wave

A question for you if we may - we're thinking of buying a set of locking wheel nuts for our 2020 Symbol Plus - Peugeot Boxer 335 L3H2 with 16" alloy wheels.

Does anyone have any recommendations of which ones we should be aiming for?  (There seem to be 2 sizes available - and we're not sure which ones apply).

Any advice is very welcome...  up!

Karen and Phil
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer? Empty Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer?

Post by RogerThat Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:15 pm

I've never heard of a Peugeot van wheel being nicked.

Does this actually happen?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer? Empty Re: Locking Wheel Nuts - Peugeot Boxer?

Post by KPUK Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi RogerThat,

We have absolutely no idea - any comments/ advice on this is welcome too!  smile!

(The concept was raised with us by a friend, which got us 'thinking about it').

K&P
KPUK
KPUK

Female

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Remove one of the existing Nuts (or bolts?) and measure it. If they are Bolts there are usually 2 lengths for difference between alloy and steel wheels. You need the correct seating shape too may be conical or rounded.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm

RogerThat wrote:I've never heard of a Peugeot van wheel being nicked.

Does this actually happen?

Agreed Roger, if I was out there tonight looking for a nice set of wheels to nick, I wouldn’t bother with my van alloys!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:46 pm

You can buy tools to remove them anyway..

Locking Wheel Nut Removers 11pc Nut Bolt Stud Extractor Twist Socket Set UK Tool

Or google locking wheel nut removal tools.

Personally I'd prefer the correct nuts/bolts set to the correct torque, also had a tyre monkey strip the key completely using an air gun, about 1/2 second before I got to him!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:26 am

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses - these are all very helpful.

I think we may park this under 'something for the future'...

allthumbz

K&P
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 am

As anyone after them would be after set wouldn't a wheel clamp that covers the bolts be almost as effective. Protect one, protect them all and the benefit of securing the van as a whole.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 am

Hi HairyFool,

Indeed - good point - and we already have/ use one of those, which is another calming factor.

K&P
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 pm

When I tried the Peugeot locking wheel nuts for the boxer, the tyre fitter said they were not that strong and the studs on the locking mechanism easily strip, showed me on one and how difficult to remove being very gently by hand, decided against using them, and returned for refund.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi Caslon,

Very interesting - and duly noted, thank you...

up!

K&P
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:19 pm

K&P,

A while back I went through the same thought process and ended up fitting a set of Milenco locking wheel studs and wasn’t impressed after one became stuck. 
I removed the lot and stopped worrying about the wheels being stolen. The van wheels have survived 4 years old now !

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 am

There are a number of distinct parameters with wheel dimensions specific to the vehicles they fit. They are mostly stolen to fit the same vehicle as the thief will not be able to define what they fit otherwise.

I am not saying they are never stolen but the market is limited so present a lower risk.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by KPUK Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 am

Hi Everyone,

We're very grateful for all of the very sensible and useful comments.  Great feedback as usual!!

We'll be sticking with what we've got (literally - hopefully!  hugegrins), but a very worthwhile exercise.

Cheers!  up!

K&P
KPUK
KPUK

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Just got these security wheel bolts from a Fiat dealer. Our current M/H has E&P hydraulics meaning often at least one wheel is off the ground.
If leaving the van in the corner of a campsite for a day, it’s not inconceivable, but unlikely, that an opportunistic thief could remove an alloy in a couple of minutes.
I know these won’t stop a ‘professional thief’ but that isn’t the reason for fitting them.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

KPUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 pm

Evo Mk5 by autoinparts.com Locking wheel nuts. Thatcham approved cat 4 Heavy duty and lifetime guarantee. Rotary ring to stop nut being gripped 3 year anti corrosion warranty. Just contacted company as tyre fitter managed to muller the key!! produced receipt, box number and returned key. New set sent out no quibble. Fits Boxer Ducato and Relay 21mm M14 x 1.5.
Handles torque 160Nm no problem.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:58 pm

You have identified exactly why locking wheel nuts can be a problem.  If the tyre fitter, someone who is probably handling these devices every day can “mueller” the key then anyone could. 

It is of course possible to do the same to a hex head bolt but I’ll lay odds it’s not often. Then you have have had to wait for a new key to be provided when any tealeaf interested in nicking wheels could get the bolt out without waiting even with the rotating ring. 

Search on line for the universal socket sold openly and there you have the principle of the universal locking wheel nut key.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down