The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement

3 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement Empty Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement

Post by ballme1 Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 pm

I have a 2011 Symbol and wanted to know how you remove the rear light housing to replace the rear light bulbs, if they ever blow .

Does anyone know how you get to the fixings to release the light housing on either side ?
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 18, 2021 2:11 pm

If it’s the same as my 2018 Symbol, there is a panel inside the the van on the offside. I’ve had my hand inside the void and removed the connector on the back of the lights when fitting my parking sensors. Maybe there is some means of changing the bulbs from inside?
For the nearside, I seem to recall access holes/blanks in the washroom but I’ve not had them off.
Apologies if this turns out to be duff info!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol Rear Bulb replacement

Post by njr001 Tue May 18, 2021 5:32 pm

Not sure if 2011 model is same as 2009 Symbol. From memory it's a bit of a fiddle to remove the rear lights. Once you have removed the trim from the van you need to insert a box spanner or similar to undo a nut which releases the rear light cluster, once removed the easy part is replacing the bulb.

Near side just requires 2 screws to be removed then panel is pulled out.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Off side requires more panels to be removed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apologies can't remember how to post images directly!
njr001

Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ballme1 Wed May 19, 2021 10:30 am

Many thanks to both of you. The photos help greatly.

On the offside I can see the panel you mentioned although I have not removed it yet, but I have found a further small removable panel at the top end of the fridge, which I have removed and I can see a metal nut on the light housing. 
Is there 2 metal nuts to remove, or just one on each side ?

On the nearside I have removed the panel, but the hole is so small I can't really see much, and not sure if it is large enough to get my hand in to remove any nuts ??
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Wed May 19, 2021 11:39 am

Just found some notes I added to the Owners Manual. 

You should have in your toolkit a black handle with a hex cutout for specifically undoing rear light cluster. My notes refer to TWO nuts per cluster to be removed. I seem to recall that the nearside was somewhat fiddly given the limited access but not impossible.

Nut remover handle [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
njr001

Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ballme1 Wed May 19, 2021 6:04 pm

Ok thanks for that info.

I have now managed to get both lighting clusters out.

Offside

To remove the Offside the lower tray (2 screws) had to be removed first. I had trouble finding the second screw, but found it was hidden behind a stick on cover. Also I had to remove a panel at the top of the fridge that had 2 screws before I could remove the main longer panel. This then allowed me to get the plastic hex tool onto the fixing nuts, but was very hard to turn, so I resorted to using a 17mm socket to release both nuts.

Nearside 

I removed the small panel with 2 screws and was able to undo the top nut by hand (although it was a very small space to get your hand in). The bottom nut was even harder to reach, and i ended up getting my hand stuck in the lower hole for a few minutes !!! so I resorted to using a 17mm longer socket that just about reached the nut.

I was going to post some photos I took, but not sure how you add them to this message ?
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ballme1 Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Here are a few photos that I took that may help others[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ballme1 Mon May 24, 2021 4:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ballme1
ballme1

Male

Back to top Go down