The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Owners

+19
Nigelbs
inspiredron
Tinwheeler
Sally
IanH
SENTINEL
rgermain
hillhead
v8oholic
gef
Cymro
Millie The Moocher
Caraman
Paramedic
roli
mikethebike
RS49
burlingtonboaby
C8LLE
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Owners - Page 2 Empty Re: New Owners

Post by v8oholic Sat May 15, 2021 5:52 pm

Things I wish I had asked the dealer to do before collection:

Test the solar panel, as it’s not working

Fit the carpets, rather than leave them all in a heap on the bathroom floor.

Put air in the rear suspension so that it was in the middle of the green section on the pressure gauges, rather than too low.

Free umbrella was nice, but would be even better if it wasn’t too long to fit the umbrella shaped storage above the sliding door.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 pm

v8oholic wrote:I forgot bedding! I bought from Duvalay as I liked the concept (if not the price - a bit too expensive really).

Also: rubber mallet for awning leg pegs. The pegs are supplied, the mallet isn't.
Rubber Mallet confused3  one made from chocolate might be more use hugegrins hugegrins
 2lb hammer for me and a good puller.
-----------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Sat May 15, 2021 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 pm

Collapsible bucket, + Collapz watering can which is very useful for topping up the water tank. Both squash down for easy storage.
Collapsible washing up bowl, the low sided type which fits into the sink and stays there for storage. Easy to take out if using on-site washing up facilities rather than your own. We didn't get on with the supplied drainer thingy, so we just use a a drying mat and/or tea towel.
Collapz grey water hoses might prove useful too.
A low wattage electric kettle and toaster. No room to store a BBQ really in our Symbol but we do have a small Vango Induction Hob which can be used easily outside taking the power from the mains socket by the sliding door.
A versatile Ridgemonkey which packs away well but has never been used, otherwise just a couple of small pans for cooking.
We fitted the on/off type shower head, having been caught out the once by inadvertently getting hooked up with the shower water tap.
Lots of paper towel rolls which serve as good squishy packing aids in all sorts of cupboards but are useful in their own right.
A few basic tools (easy to get carried away and take too many) and some spare fuses, hose clips, tapes.
We strap our two camping chairs to the back of the front passenger seat when on the move and store them under the Symbol when on site if not used. We also have a small folding camp table with them as well.
We found the AS supplied small table too small and too high so we use a shorter island table leg with a newly made table that just fits in the wardrobe neatly. We don't carry/use the larger AS table at all.
Our Symbol is still fairly new to us so we are still working out the best ways to carry things, but we are getting there!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat May 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Yes the folding chairs are problematic. I thought they would fit above the cab, but miscalculated. They won’t go through the opening because of the roof vent getting in the way. I’m reluctant to put them under the sofa, even though they fit, just because there are a lot of things under there that might not take kindly to being knocked about.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat May 15, 2021 8:11 pm

v8oholic wrote:I forgot bedding! I bought from Duvalay as I liked the concept (if not the price - a bit too expensive really).

Also: rubber mallet for awning leg pegs. The pegs are supplied, the mallet isn't.
Have you had it weighed??
Seriously.....Looking at your list above.. scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 pm

IanH wrote:

Have you had it weighed??
Seriously.....Looking at your list above.. scratch head

I’d be amazed if that lot came to anything like 100 kg in total, and there were 200 kg to play with.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 am

C8LLE wrote:Hi all we have just purchased a new Symbol , we are novices and have never owned before so pretty clueless  , any tips or guidance would be appreciated  , we pick her up on the 2nd June .
You may wish to consider first what you NEED, then after having used it a few times, work out what you WANT.

Cooking - you’ll need a few pans and basic utensils.  Plus plates, bowls and cutlery. A kettle.
Fridge - nothing needed at this stage. 
Toilet - toilet roll and chemicals. 
Sleeping - bedding/pillows.
General - basic cleaning products.  Personal and domestic. 
Water - a way to get it in (hose or watering can) and a way to get it out (container, as not all sites have a motorhome point).
Misc - towels. If you have a mobile, a phone charger.

While not exhaustive, that’s a good start. It should allow you to book a site and get camping. Then as I travelled, I noted what else I wanted and the space I had to store it. This included a steering wheel lock, a torch, lap tray, storage boxes for food supplies, a bin, condiments, first aid kit, chargers, etc.  But each decision was based on discovering something I wanted plus thinking about where it would go while travelling/camping.  I then asked on here for advice, checked online for options and then chose accordingly. 

Before your first trip, check out videos on you tube and in manuals on filling with LPG, emptying the toilet cassette and using the heating/water system.

I hope that helps
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Bilbobaggins and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by C8LLE Tue May 25, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks for the insurance tip , we have gone with Comfort, a week until pick up , i notice it has a tracker but cant tell if it has a audible alarm as well, is this something that can get fitted afterwards , any suggestions as to how to secure the van ?
C8LLE
C8LLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue May 25, 2021 2:45 pm

Alarms are not normally standard items but the van will have the Peugeot/Fiat engine immobiliser. Alarms can be fitted later and companies such as VanBitz can do the job.

As for security devices, a steering wheel lock is a good place to start and can easily be carried with you.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

C8LLE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue May 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Pedalbox is effective, if heavy. It has a bit of space for valuables too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue May 25, 2021 8:05 pm

v8oholic wrote:I
Be mindful that a rubber mallet is ok when driving pegs into grass, but if pitched on hard standing, you'll need something much more aggressive such as conventional claw hammer as also useful to pull out pegs.

Last edited by Paramedic on Tue May 25, 2021 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correction)

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Be mindful that a rubber mallet is ok when driving pegs into grass, but if pitched on hard standing, you'll need something much more aggressive such as conventional claw hammer as also useful to pull out pegs.
I got one of these from Aldi which is just the job:

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue May 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Caraman wrote:
Paramedic wrote:
I got one of these from Aldi which is just the job:

Excellent, if ever available from Aldi again, would like to get one so I can return claw hammer to my carpentry essentials.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue May 25, 2021 8:36 pm

To be honest I was thinking for my purposes a pair of those awning pole feet things that you fill with sand or water would probably do. If conditions aren’t ideal I won’t put it up anyway.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 25, 2021 8:39 pm

C8LLE wrote:Thanks for the insurance tip , we have gone with Comfort, a week until pick up , i notice it has a tracker but cant tell if it has a audible alarm as well, is this something that can get fitted afterwards , any suggestions as to how to secure the van ?
Auto-Sleepers do not supply an alarm because Sargent does not supply one that can be fitted to a motorhome.  However, dealers which includes Marquis who are owned by Auto-sleepers, will supply an Auto-Sleepers motorhome with a vehicle alarm fitted by an alarm fitter.  If the motorhome has AS Monitor/Auto-Sleepers LOCATE and the owner has paid for Sargent's additional manned tracking centre service, it is worthwhile ensuring that when the alarm is fitted it is connected to the motorhome's tracking and communication unit/module.  See below:

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 pm

Consider Ingenio stackable pans and 2 handles. Had ours for 20 years - only fry pan has degraded.and replaced. Also buy felt pads to cushion them against scratching each other

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed May 26, 2021 5:45 am

v8oholic wrote:To be honest I was thinking for my purposes a pair of those awning pole feet things that you fill with sand or water would probably do. If conditions aren’t ideal I won’t put it up anyway.
Something like this would be better:

Caraman
Caraman

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigelbs Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm

C8LLE wrote:not long now to pick up , any tips on insurance please
Stick it on your normal car insurance as an additional vehicle. I found this much the cheapest way to insure our MH.
Nigelbs
Nigelbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 26, 2021 12:44 pm

v8oholic wrote:I omitted pots and pans as I haven’t decided what to get yet.

There is no electric hotplate, but the electric kettle is quite small anyway.

I’m also considering a low powered toaster, but haven’t come to any conclusions yet.

I haven’t got a cable reel because I thought the cable might not fit in the supplied storage bag when on a reel. It’s quite easy to coil up over an arm to put in the storage bag, but a reel would be good.
As for toaster, dont buy any labelled for caravan or motorhome, the prices are silly. A  basic one from Argos will cost less than a tenner and will be around 800w, a motorhome specific one will be same 'low wattage' and cost £20. Just don't take a 4 slice Dualit one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Wed May 26, 2021 6:01 pm

For toast, we use a small George Foreman grill as it takes less space than a toaster and can be used for other things. Eg toasted sandwiches, pitta bread, bacon etc. 
 We have a rule that everything in the van needs to have at least 2 uses to justify its space🤣🤣
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Caraman wrote:
v8oholic wrote:To be honest I was thinking for my purposes a pair of those awning pole feet things that you fill with sand or water would probably do. If conditions aren’t ideal I won’t put it up anyway.

You'd think for £15 for two bits of ally, they might have included the essential pegs!!
Good idea though.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 pm

IanH wrote:
Caraman wrote:

You'd think for £15 for two bits of ally, they might have included the essential pegs!!
Good idea though.
It’s a member of Motorhome fun that’s selling those ,Jezport, here is his web site

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

New Owners - Page 2 Empty Good call on the Smarty Sim for MiFi

Post by Brackjo Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:08 pm

v8oholic wrote:Here is the link for the latest smarty deal. £18 for unlimited. Perfect for the longer summer breaks . Cheers Brackjo up! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

C8LLE wrote:thanks yes we really are novices , so any advice as to what extras to buy would be helpful

Don't panic because this is a fairly long list, and you might not need or want a lot of it, but it's just copy and paste from a note of all the things I've added. Just in case I had to make an insurance claim!

Whale EM9403 water extension hose 7.5 metres
Various Hoselock adapters
230V EHU UK 3 pin adapter (might have come with it)
Avtex AK12TM VESA bracket
Avtex 199DSFVP television 19.5”
Avtex SB195BT soundbar
12V splitter with 2 12V sockets, USB and USB-C
Whale EM9403 water extension hose 7.5 metres
First aid kit
Fire Chief fire blanket SVB1/K40 1m x 1m
Hyfive folding camping chairs heavy duty luxury padded high back - blue - 2
5 litre and 10 litre folding water containers
Set of assorted blade fuses
Case4life hose/cable bag for water hoses
Goal Zero crush light
EXZACT Cutlery Set Coloured 16PCS - Stainless Steel with Plastic Wide Handles – Comfortable to Hold - 4 x Forks, 4 x Dinner Knives, 4 x Dinner Spoons, 4 x Teaspoons – Service for 4 (Turquoise x 16)
Corelle 16pc Ocean Blues dinner set, plus 4 luncheon plates
8” bread knife
Thermosoft square blanket
Placemats, duck egg
Egyptian cotton bath towel 70x125 Duck egg x 2
Egyptian cotton face cloth 30x30 D
Egyptian cotton hand towel 50x90 D
Tea towels x 4 Sabine
White chopping board 35x25
Coasters
Oxo SoftWorks jar 1.0 litre x 2
Not needed for UK: Gas It 3 PART EUROPEAN FILL POINT ADAPTER KIT LPG: FA-002 Dish/cup fill adapter cup, FA-003 ACME fill adapter, FA-003 Europa fill adapter
CPVAN Motion Sensor Alarm 
wellmax Barrier Mat - Heavy Duty, Non Slip Backing - Indoor/Outdoor (Blue-Black, 40 x 60 cm)
Sucre Auxiliary 12-24V 15A Heavy Duty Power Motorcycle Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Extension 5M Cable
Case4Life Black Water Resistant Boot Bag
Brabantia Sort & Go Waste Bin Mint 16 litre
Bathroom queegee
Microfibre drying mat
Microfibre dishcloths
Silicone double oven glove
Hook on Airer for Caravans & Motorhomes
Fiamma Toilet Brush Seat Fit
Muggi Multi-Cup Holder (Navy Blue)
Swiss Luxx Cordless 650 Watt Kettle - white
Thetford Fridge Bottle Retainer x 2
Thetford Fridge Deep Door Bin N80/N145 (622145/635043/634465)
Vango 1.6L Stainless Steel kettle with folding handle
Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite
Amazon Echo 4th Generation Twilight Blue
Spinflo washing up bowl
5 metre Outwell windscreen charcoal grey
BrilliantJo Hanging Wardrobe Organizer for Clothes Sweaters 4-shelf Hanging Closet Storage Shelves (31.5 * 12 * 12 inch, Blue-grey)
TVL PedalBox (security)
SMARTY SIM for MiFi
200W inverter (may not use)
12V USB-C charger 84W (for laptop)
Aqua Clean Tabs - Water Purification Tablets 32 x 25 litre
Thetford Aquakem Blue Sachets (Can of 18) 
Thetford Aquakem Green Sachets (15 sachets)
Thetford Aquarinse Spray
Thetford Aquasoft Soft Toilet Tissue (6 Rolls)
Thetford Bathroom Cleaner

Some of these things you might just want to take from home each time. Others, you won't want, I'm sure. There are a few extra things if you're going to Europe, but they are minor. Things like high vis jackets, bulb kits etc. And a EHU 2 pin adaptor.

You do get supplied with a 25m EHU cable with a bag to put it in (not sure if the 13A 3 pin adapter for home use comes with it though, it might do), and a 7.5m Whale Aquasource water hose. Four melamine mugs and a melamine dinner set for four people too. Four crystal wine glasses. I think that was it.
Brackjo
Brackjo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford Plus
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2