The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV reception

+4
Sally
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
cAMPErmICKy
8 posters

Go down

TV reception  Empty TV reception

Post by cAMPErmICKy Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Hello everyone
Our Digital TV will not get any stations at all, although it worked the last time we went out before lockdown. The TV works fine in our house
so I'm assuming the aerial is at fault. I've tried a new lead, also using a different aerial socket in the vehicle but no joy.
The aerial fitted to our vehicle (2015 Warwick XL) is a Teleco Wing non adjustable type. I can't find any info online regarding the reliability of them or how well they work, has anyone got any ideas on this please?

Regards

Mick
cAMPErmICKy
cAMPErmICKy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

TV reception  Empty Re: TV reception

Post by Guest Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:55 pm

first (obvious) question....have you retuned the set? 
it needs to be done at every new location.
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Have you switched the aerial amplifier on?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

brodco and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:11 pm

As for reliability,  our Teleco aerial works really well.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:51 pm

cAMPErmICKy wrote:Hello everyone
Our Digital TV will not get any stations at all, although it worked the last time we went out before lockdown. The TV works fine in our house
so I'm assuming the aerial is at fault. I've tried a new lead, also using a different aerial socket in the vehicle but no joy.
The aerial fitted to our vehicle (2015 Warwick XL) is a Teleco Wing non adjustable type. I can't find any info online regarding the reliability of them or how well they work, has anyone got any ideas on this please?

Regards

Mick
Have you tried it in a location that you know for certain worked the last time?  The reason I ask is that depending on the specific campsite, the channels I get range from none at all, through just a few, through to full digital reception plus radio channels plus data channels.  All using the same television and aerial, but varying on the campsite and even the position on the campsite.
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:20 am

Hi wave

Anything’s possible but I’d be surprised if it was the aerial itself. Like all aerials it’s basically only a hideously expensive piece of wire !  Whistle1

Assuming the TV has worked well in the position it is now and you have tried all the leads I’d suspect the amplifier (assuming it is powered up an on).

That said, some aerials have a built in preamp which could fail but there is no indication that the Teleco is one of these. One way to be sure is for somebody that owns one (and a voltmeter) to check if there is a voltage between the inner and outer of the amplifier connection that goes to the aerial. A voltage would be needed to power any preamp.

Brod

PS
As for how well they work:

“Ye cannae change the laws of physics Captain” lol4

They may work well for some but they are just about the lowest gain type of aerial you can get.  The lower the directionality the lower the gain and in almost all situations a directional aerial will outperform them. tap_fingers

Last edited by brodco on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by cAMPErmICKy Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the replies, after further tinkering and moving to a different location 
I've got a (limited) service, twenty eight stations showing when the TV is scanning,
only six out of these provide a watchable picture.
I can only assume that the aerial isn't as good as the directional one we had in our last motorhome, used in the same location and guided by a smartphone app we could get over a hundred stations, most of them good quality.
Once again thanks for your help and advice, Ill see how things go over the coming season.
Cheers for now

Mick
cAMPErmICKy
cAMPErmICKy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:36 pm

Check all cable/plug connections, AS have poor reputation for aerial wiring.

Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:38 am

Hi  wave

cAMPErmICKy wrote:I can only assume that the aerial isn't as good as the directional one we had in our last motorhome,

Well that depends on what you call good. If you want maximum gain (sensitivity) it wont be. What omnidirectional aerials are is convenient and for people that tend to go to strong signal areas they’re (probably) OK.

It’s a trade off between gain and convenience. Directional aerials are more sensitive and some people are quite happy fiddling about with directional aerials every time the move sites, some aren’t. You "pays ya money and takes ya choice". hugegrins

Have a look here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's one of the few sites that actually presents evidence for it's conclusions. up!

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Paulmold wrote:Check all cable/plug connections, AS have poor reputation for aerial wiring.

I certainly agree with that, apart from the wire down from the aerial itself I’ve upgraded/bypassed all the A/S stuff. There are still areas of poor reception but at least I know it’s not some dodgy A/S connection!

In the early days one place that often caused me problems was the actual socket that you plug the coax cable into. Gently closing the contacts with long nosed pliers improved the number of channels greatly.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by cAMPErmICKy Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm

The ATV website is very interesting, if the omni aerial I've got proves to be unsatisfactory when we start touring I think their DM18 log aerial kit is the way forward!
I'll keep you informed.
cAMPErmICKy
cAMPErmICKy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:24 pm

My van has a Maxview omnidirectional.  It's OK in strong receptions areas but not in weaker areas especially when the signal is vertically polarised from a repeater station.  I carry a Maxview tri-boom directional which gets deployed when needed.  I wish A-S had fitted a Vision directional rather than the Maxview omnidirectional.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 08, 2021 3:13 pm

just a quick update - as said earlier I have the Teleco omnidirectional aerial. As the weather is rubbish and we just arrived,  I've just tuned the TV , got 180 channels on my Avtex. We are just outside an urban area so signal is strong.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat May 08, 2021 3:50 pm

Never had any useful performance from any of the flying saucers. Was v pleased that Exec didn't have one!

Just fitted this MOONRAKER one to my Executive. Directional, but has built in amplifier, 
Very light and works well see pics..[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down