The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving in lockdown

+32
steamdrivenandy
willy eckerslike
Joint Adventure
melcragg
Wizard
JohnF6
Justus2
Cymro
gemdeco
Quilter
Dave D
daisy mae
rose49f
Achilles heel
bikeralw
Paulmold
Weegie
RogerThat
Bilbobaggins
glyne lock
rgermain
Tinwheeler
burlingtonboaby
breakaleg
mikethebike
nuevoboy
Kdc
Toffee
Dave 418
IanH
roli
cAMPErmICKy
36 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Driving in lockdown - Page 4 Empty Re: Driving in lockdown

Post by rgermain Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 pm

I think you are missing the point.

You are allowed to go out for exercise in your local area.

We for one have not taken any risks, cancelled Dentist checkups, always worn a mask when out, often tell others to give us some room, always stand to one side when passing others, not been shopping, Waitrose home delivery once a week, not seen both our sons family since last August, no Christmas. I will stop there.

I cannot see where you are coming from, but then you do not have an AS van.

Walking on deserted beach in our view has to be better than mixing local.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Gromit and Slaphead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Richard, perhaps you are missing the point, are we 'allowed' to drive out and about to get to the exercise point?
My interpretation is that we shouldn't be doing this, if exercising outdoors, we should start and finish our exercise at home...a walk, a run, a bike ride etc...
Perhaps OH and I could load the bikes into the back of the van, head out somewhere different for a change (the coast, 20 miles away perhaps) park up and get the bikes out?
No different to driving somewhere (in a car or a MH) to 'go for a stroll' not in your village as HF has mentioned above.
Using my van occasionally for our essential shopping would be fine, but I'd feel very 'wrong' to take it to the seaside for a stroll on the prom during lockdown.
It's not the 'car or van' per se, it's the fact that folk are travelling unnecessarily to take exercise....
Perhaps your (silly) comment suggests AS van owners can do what they like...?
As I've already said, I agree that folk feel safer (probably are safer) strolling on a deserted beach than in a more crowded area, but that's not the point. We are not being asked to do what we feel like doing, we are being asked to stay at home unless for valid reasons, driving out X miles for a walk, run or bike ride isn't one of them....unless you're an AS van owner, perhaps😜
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 pm

Instead of using your interpretation  of the rules, why not just quote the government  rules ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Staying local seems to be the mainstay of the rules but does not have to be be exercising from your front door and returning to it , starting exercise from home and finishing there is a Welsh lockdown  rule not an English rule.
Many examples are quoted in those rules such as parks and botanical gardens. I don't know many people who can walk to a botanical  gardens.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Surely the whole point is that the more vehicles that are seen on the road and the more people are seen to be going out driving them, the more people are tempted to do so themselves and the whole edifice of trying to limit contact to reduce potential infection transmission breaks down. It's a sort of herd mentality thing. 

Just amongst our neighbours over this last weekend I noticed visits from people in vehicles that I'd not seen before and therefore aren't in anyone's bubble and it seems that longer daylight hours are tempting people to push at the lockdown boundaries. 

Personally I'd rather wait for as long as possible to ensure as much as possible that the risks are reduced as low as possible.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Paulmold wrote:Instead of using your interpretation  of the rules, why not just quote the government  rules ....

Staying local seems to be the mainstay of the rules but does not have to be be exercising from your front door and returning to it , starting exercise from home and finishing there is a Welsh lockdown  rule not an English rule.
Many examples are quoted in those rules such as parks and botanical gardens. I don't know many people who can walk to a botanical  gardens.

Ah but given the rules are written by somebody in Westminster they probably can walk to a botanic garden and the world outside their bubble is irrelevant.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm

I've just returned from a walk on the beach. It's probably less than a mile from my front door but we live on top of a huge hill. Going down would be OK but not climbing back up so we use the car to get to the beach. It is allowed.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 pm

I've not used our van since last year,like other forum members it's been laid up. As its due an MOT test tomorrow I took the opportunity early on Sunday morning to run the van and avoid traffic .
The brake discs had surface rust on them ,so a wee run out to use the brakes and generally check the van over before the test tomorrow, IMO isn't  considered a rule breaker.
I don't feel I have to justify myself on here, it's an open forum .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I've just returned from a walk on the beach. It's probably less than a mile from my front door but we live on top of a huge hill. Going down would be OK but not climbing back up so we use the car to get to the beach. It is allowed.
If you'd walked back up the hill then you'd be getting your exercise, wouldn't you? up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm

bolero boy wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:I've just returned from a walk on the beach. It's probably less than a mile from my front door but we live on top of a huge hill. Going down would be OK but not climbing back up so we use the car to get to the beach. It is allowed.
If you'd walked back up the hill then you'd be getting your exercise, wouldn't you? up!

Do you think I wouldn't have if I could?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:52 pm

when I go for a walk from my house  we have a bus gate at the end of a old road we walk up and  we see lots of vehicles going through and the camera getting a picture .if this was local people they would not be driving down the old road and through the bus gate so clearly are out of there area. if we all got in our vehicles to go for a walk lots of places would become over crowded and not safe
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:41 pm

glyne lock wrote:
when I go for a walk from my house  we have a bus gate at the end of a old road we walk up and  we see lots of vehicles going through and the camera getting a picture .if this was local people they would not be driving down the old road and through the bus gate so clearly are out of there area. if we all got in our vehicles to go for a walk lots of places would become over crowded and not safe

So are you saying I should stay at home and not take exercise? Driving for exercise is permitted providing one stays within ones own village/town/local area which I do. Many others break the rules by travelling long distances, such as Weymouth to Dartmoor, but please don’t assume we all break the rules. The furthest I have travelled since lockdown is about 8 miles and that was to get the covid jab.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 pm

I suggest we draw a line on this subject. It's hardly core business to the forum in any case.

Nothing is going to be achieved by arguing about whose interpretation of the rules is right, or wrong. We're hopefully just a few weeks away from being able to get back on the road. Let's not have a falling-out at the final hurdle.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

BobK, mikethebike, rgermain, Askit, harrysp, Slaphead and Beetee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:
glyne lock wrote:

So are you saying I should stay at home and not take exercise? Driving for exercise is permitted providing one stays within ones own village/town/local area which I do. Many others break the rules by travelling long distances, such as Weymouth to Dartmoor, but please don’t assume we all break the rules. The furthest I have travelled since lockdown is about 8 miles and that was to get the covid jab.

lots of people don't have walks like I have as to where they live so do get in a vehicle to go some where but its the distance they then go. I had to collect a machine from Exmouth and it was like a bank holiday with people walking past so i was having to put myself at risk as I secured the machine. clearly this was not all local people so when one of them test as + will now not be just local people that need to get tested.  the people that should not have been there could now be infected and  tomorrow going to another area and infecting more .lots of people are having to go to work and are at a higher risk then they need to be down to the people that are driving that don't need to
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:40 pm

I know I have done nothing wrong. 

Let's go with K-B’s suggestion rather than debate what other folk may be doing.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:53 pm

Mike23....I've found it !!!! 
Good luck K-B with that one.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 pm

We now live in a lovely setting in the end of a set of barn conversions with the village church about 100yds away. The vicar is our neighbour, albeit the other side of a paddock. Another 100yds on and the West Coast Mainline emerges from Madeley Cutting into open country and when the wind's from the west the trains sound like they're in the garden. HS2A is due to pass a further half mile west before it bores into Barr Hill on its way towards Crewe. To our east across a mile or so of very open fields we can see the M6 just after Keele Services. When the wind's in the east then the M6 is in next door's garden.

But, without getting in my car I can walk Miss Pippin down The Holborn (in old English a hollow by a brook), across the River Lea and up into the churchyard, around All Saints, admiring the red sandstone and down to Church Lane and the church car park which is resplendent with a carpet of crocus just now. Past the old vicarage with it's resident blower Bentley, past the current vicarage and home.

Or I can walk through our barn mews and out onto the lane that leads past fields that have been industrialised for cows, with hardly any hedges and wires that divide the land up into compartments that the cows get moved through to allow the grass to recover. On the opposite side of the road is a mini industrial estate originally based on a WW2 ammunition dump right by the railway. Rather inappropriate HGV's trundle in and out delivering or collecting goodness knows what. Further on the road becomes more of a lane as it wends towards a farmyard. A third dog walk leads past a few houses and along a twisting lane towards the M6. About a mile along it there's a large poultry unit and opposite a drive up towards the large farmhouse and buildings. The road itself carries on as a bridle path passing over the M6 on a bridge and via footpaths to Keele village. 
Having described all that I'm afraid my knees and ankles won't allow me to walk more than half a mile or so and the further reaches of our new home may be a mystery to me forever.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 am

Enjoy your new location Andy,hope you're happy there.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 am

Thanks Boabs, I trust you guys are well. I thought of you the other day when I read that there were lots of complaints in BL about the noise coming from the Hymas yard. It's being demolished ready for building houses. A bit of history slipping away. I wonder what it's like there now without the twice daily charge of the blue monsters in and out.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:11 am

Kemerton-bath wrote:I suggest we draw a line on this subject. It's hardly core business to the forum in any case.

Nothing is going to be achieved by arguing about whose interpretation of the rules is right, or wrong. We're hopefully just a few weeks away from being able to get back on the road. Let's not have a falling-out at the final hurdle.

Tim

Another endorsement of KB point of view allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:36 am

steamdrivenandy wrote:Thanks Boabs, I trust you guys are well. I thought of you the other day when I read that there were lots of complaints in BL about the noise coming from the Hymas yard. It's being demolished ready for building houses. A bit of history slipping away. I wonder what it's like there now without the twice daily charge of the blue monsters in and out.
It was a tight wee yard, build for farm tractors I think and not 8 leggers without power steering , haven't seen any of his Artics over here in a while.    shrugg , 
Anyway enjoy life Andy, it's too short nowadays.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 pm

I have one large Hymer and one small Autosleeper (Mercedes Vito) but no car and I refuse to walk 5 miles to do my shopping  because some nit wit says I'm breaking the law by using my campervan  tap_fingers
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:02 pm

biffobear wrote:I have one large Hymer and one small Autosleeper (Mercedes Vito) but no car and I refuse to walk 5 miles to do my shopping  because some nit wit says I'm breaking the law by using my campervan  tap_fingers

It’s the purpose of the journey rather than the vehicle you use that determines whether you’re breaking the law.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Lancy and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:04 am

Coast line was busy last weekend with visitors , kiosks open selling take away snacks, what's it going to be like when restrictions are eased.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:06 am

I would've thought that kiosks on seafronts would earn themselves a hefty fine if they opened before lockdown ends.

From remarks on forums and friends and dealership opening plans it's going to be pretty busy from the 12th itself and the weekend of 17th/18th is going to be daft.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:32 am

sorry to everyone here, but we've had enough now.
Looking forward to Monday, after work,making a small sandwich or two, getting in our car and driving out of this town. Not looking in the mirror for Mr Policeman and heading 6 miles west to a very high up picnic area and watching the sunset together.
Not too much to ask after 12, 13, God knows how many weeks?
Then Tuesday if the government and the rest of our members don't mind, going to look at our campervan, sitting in it and seeing if it will start after all those months.
Due respect to everyone's views on this and have followed the guidence but will now follow the next step of the roadmap.
All have a good Monday the 12th of March 2021 and do whatever your own personal guidence lets you.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next