The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WXL cooker screws fallen out

4 posters

Go down

WXL cooker screws fallen out Empty WXL cooker screws fallen out

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm

2014 WXL with Thetford three ring cooker with combi grill/oven, the two screws that should keep the left hand side of the cooker attached to the worktop have worked loose and fallen out. As a result the cooker movies slightly and squeaks and creaks while van is moving.

I have tried to reinsert the screws and tighten but the just fallout again.

Any suggestions for best way to remedy this?

Similarly awful squeaks from microwave while driving..is there an easy fix or do I need to try to pad and tighten everything I can find to pad or tighten near the microwave

Thanks in advance.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

WXL cooker screws fallen out Empty Re: WXL cooker screws fallen out

Post by IanH Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Mine is a Warwick Duo, non XL, so yours may/will be different

As to the cooker screws, bearing in mind it unlikely you'll ever want to remove them, I'd just put a liberal dose of super glue on the threads and get them in as tight as they'll go, do it quick though before the glue goes off and the screws aren't tight! If you can source similar screws but with a bigger diameter and deeper threads, that'd help a lot too.

I removed the microwave in mine to access behind it and was horrified to find it was just held in with self tapping screws simply screwed through the bottom outer casing of the microwave, yours probably will be too. If you undo the screws, DO NOT remove them enough that the oven can be raised say, 4 or 5mm or so, then slide in sticky pads at any point of contact before tightening the screws again

In both cases pretty rubbish build standards IMHO.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:35 pm

Simple way is to push wood into hole made by screw, (matchsticks work great) and then simply refit a suitable screw
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks for help, in the end I inserted a cocktail stick into the holes and snapped off the excess, then inserted longer screws brushed with super glue. Just had the van out for a run and cooker now firmly attached with marked reduction in noise. Last major squeak has been found to be caused by the bottom hinge pin on microwave door, where there is some play on the mounting and any movement results in metal on metal contact. Once identified SWMBO managed to wind some waxed thread around the pin which seems to have done the trick. 

Only taken about 12 weeks since collecting the van to eliminating major creaks and squeaks

Happy days.

Donator
Donator

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm

“Only taken about 12 weeks since collecting the van to eliminating major creaks and squeaks“

That is a result, takes most of us years smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Sure there will be ongoing issues and still have rattles etc when on uneven roads, however when we collected the van even driving in smooth dual carriageway at constant speed led to insufferable squeaks in particular.

Downside is I can now hear SWMBO and can't use the van noise as excuse for not answering ☺

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down