The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winterising

+18
glyne lock
Relaxez-Vous
poddanell
Robbit M
Roaming Shaz
Spospe
mikemelson
Slaphead
groundhog
bikeralw
rogerblack
Sapper
Dynamic
IanH
marbarsymbol
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
Daves
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Winterising - Page 2 Empty Re: Winterising

Post by Roaming Shaz Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm a newby and have just bought my first van (Symbol), which I collected last Thursday so literally only a few days in. I'm planning on using it over the winter, hopefully a couple of times a month. Do I still need to 'drain it down'? Would you also recommend I pull all the blinds down and open doors in between? I'm on a STEEP learning curve :) Thank you.
Roaming Shaz
Roaming Shaz

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm

rogerblack wrote: so maybe using a small de-humidifier rather than a heater is the best answer?  We have one we bought from Aldi last year which wasn't very expensive and is cheaper to run than a heater. Might try that.
It's worth noting there are two types of dehumidifier, refrigerant and desiccant. 
The refrigerant type is designed to be used in hot sticky conditions and is not very efficient in cold weather.
So the type to go for if using in a cold van in winter is the desiccant type.

This is the type I have, but after using it in the van for four consecutive days, and each morning finding it had cut out because the three litre water reservoir was full, I came to the conclusion that because of the large amount of ventilation in a motorhome, I was attempting to dehumidify the entire town...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

mikethebike and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:40 pm

If you are using the 'van during frosty weather, then it is much easier to maintain some background heating than constantly drain and refill.

I would not use the installed heater, as these tend to have long-term-use reliability issues. Instead I would do as others have suggested and use an oil filled radiator (maybe on a time switch).
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Daves Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Pragmatic approach Spospe....I like it.  Just that my partner associates cold with damp!  DaveS
Daves
Daves

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Roaming Shaz wrote:I'm a newby and have just bought my first van (Symbol), which I collected last Thursday so literally only a few days in. I'm planning on using it over the winter, hopefully a couple of times a month. Do I still need to 'drain it down'? Would you also recommend I pull all the blinds down and open doors in between? I'm on a STEEP learning curve :) Thank you.
as mikemelson mentioned 'winterisation' means different things to different people....mike puts on a heavier quilt....so do we....
to me, winterisation means what the converter has done, and what the customer can do, to make life comfortable and stress free for those who tour all year, sometimes in cold and damp conditions...
in Shaz' case, if going away every couple of weeks, i wouldnt be draining down UNLESS there was a real risk of a prolonged hard frost....
here in the SW we dont this sort of weather very often and we, too, are away regularly and i dont drain down.
i do pull the binds, but only to stop the neighbours thinking the rozzers are on the prowl as my alarm flashes a blue light...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbit M Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 am

I suggest instead that we follow the example of migrating birds and drive off to a warm (safe) country  up!

Rob Malyn
Robbit M
Robbit M

Male

Member Age : 68
Vehicle Year : 1999

bikeralw, rgermain, Slaphead and Roaming Shaz like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by poddanell Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Have you thought about using a greenhouse heater. They come as small as 30 watt. I've used a 60 watt (£25ish) on an old boat of mine during the winter screwed to a board so I can move it around. Cheap, safe and efficient.
Reece
poddanell
poddanell

Male

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:09 pm

We've always used our vans in winter though mostly when our son accompanies us for a weekend boot walk followed by a visit to a gasto-pub, beer for the men a white wine for the lady. I like to keep our van running in winter. I suppose that's the advantage of having a panel van, like a Symbol. A few years ago now, we did have an enjoyable and memorable pre-Christmas stay at Rowntreee Park CAMC site, in the morning our pumped water was frozen and the trip to the toilet block outside was like a skating rink. I'll never know when visiting the toilet block in the morning how I avoided performing an unintentional triple salchow with pike.

When we had our Duetto I did mostly put on a small fan heater (500/1000W) when it was parked on our drive. I have had though the toilet flush water completely freeze solid, fortunately it caused no lasting damage.

With the damp issues we've had with our Kemerton XL, and from reading this thread I decided this afternoon to buy a Dimples Chico 700W heater. I don't want any increase in our van's damp. So thanks Daves for starting this thread and to others too.

Dimplex Chico, not oil filled, 75% 5* on Amazon, cheaper than Argos, time will tell if it was a wise buy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Relaxez-Vous on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Roaming Shaz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roaming Shaz Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm

How often are you planning to use the heater?
Roaming Shaz
Roaming Shaz

Female

Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks
When I use our new Dimplex Chico will I suppose depend on weather forecast, both the cold and the humidity. I have read on here that some are monitoring the humidity inside their motorhome, can anyone shed some light on how this might be done? In our bathroom at home I already have an extractor fan system linked to a humidistat. It prevents any build up of black mould deposits in the bathroom. I still get some in the silicone sealant around the shower which I can zap with Dettol anti fungal spray, slightly better I find than using Domestos.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 pm

I use our van in the winter but when parked after been away we put
a moisture absorber pot as can be seen in picture . I leave a fan heater set on frost. I don’t remove the seat cushions but move them away from the van sides but we do take the bedding in the house and put it to air after a weekend trip and open as many cupboard doors as possible [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am

OK Glyne, give up....assuming the 'pot' is on the worktop, what on earth is the black plastic affair on the side of the cupboard?
electric can opener?, bottle opener/cork remover?
I've never seen anything like that before.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 am

That’s the tv mount that I posted for Relaxez ref tv socket
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:53 am

thanks, Glynne....not seen one like that before, very neat.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:30 am

I like the TV mount and that it's removable, very neat.
The TV mount in grey or black is available on eBay, black only from O'Leary. If anyone is interested, there's quite a variation in the price asked, it used to be even cheaper. I see O'leary now has a similar TV mount that isn't pivoting.

The pivoting part of the mount is screwed to the back of the TV then slots into a small plate screwed to a bulkhead. When about to travel the TV can be lifted up off the small plate for storage. After I fitted the mount in the same position as in Glyne's photo, I decided that I'd like the TV a bit lower. Viewing the TV sitting at one end of our bench meant looking up too much at an angle, like being sat in the front row of the stalls in the cinema. I bought a second mount and made up a removable plywood extension.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:02 pm

Its only my 2nd year of motorhome ownership but before that I had caravans for 25 years which were stored every winter.  I have never used a heater or dehumidifier during storage and our interiors including the upholstery have suffered no harm.  On one occasion last winter when it was below zero I put the Combi on for a couple hours on the drive but only because we were about to use the motorhome and I needed to ensure the Truma frost valve would stay closed and that water wouldn't freeze when I primed the system.  The heat also helped clear the windscreen.  We only use our Taylormade silver screen when we are on a pitch.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Another tip if you are laying the van up for a long period, soak a few cotton balls in pure peppermint oil and spread them around the van and it will keep the rodents away, works on mice and rattie rat... works on raccoons too but don't suppose you will get much trouble from them! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:31 am

Considering which, if any, external cab thermal screens to go for. If Taylormade, is the Long Screen version a better choice than the Standard, or any other suggestions re make?
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:07 am

Robbit M wrote:I suggest instead that we follow the example of migrating birds and drive off to a warm (safe) country  up!

Thats what i do.However this winter is different!
The safest way IMHO is to drain down. If an opportunity to use your van for a few days occurs you can then put water in.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:50 am

SENTINEL wrote:Considering which, if any, external cab thermal screens to go for. If Taylormade, is the Long Screen version a better choice than the Standard, or any other suggestions re make?

Yes, I changed to the TaylorMade Long Screen version a few years ago to minimise scuttle drain problems.  I also bought their bonnet cover as belt & braces for autumn & winter use as it also helps prevent stains from silver birch leaves etc.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:01 pm

I have the standard Silver Screen with the optional scuttle extension. Normally used without the extension, but I add it when laid up to stop the scuttle filling with leaves etc.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:17 pm

Another winterising question please - 
The drain taps on both our Fresh & Waste tanks are not actually on the tanks but at the ends of the drain hoses which are clipped to the underside of the sill. The hoses are quite long, (useful for draining away from the vehicle) but do hang down quite low so that their lowest point is actually lower than the drain taps. I am guessing that the taps with hose possibly unclip to drain properly but can't quite see at the moment. Cold plastic is not the best thing to handle experimentally due to the possibility of fragility and snapping something off!
So does anyone with a similar set up know?
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes they just unclip as you pull the tap downwards.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:21 pm

SENTINEL wrote:Considering which, if any, external cab thermal screens to go for. If Taylormade, is the Long Screen version a better choice than the Standard, or any other suggestions re make?
We chose the standard version.  It's less bulky when rolled up and cheaper.  I understand from those who have the long version it is easier to fit as the bottom as its kept in place by the wipers rather than straps.  It doesn't cover the windscreen scuttle which I don't find a problem.  It's easy enough to remove leaves by hand and it allows ventilation to take place if the cab heater intake is not set to recirculation.  I don't use it for storage as I don't see the need.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:23 pm

woodlice wrote:Yes they just unclip as you pull the tap downwards.
Thank you
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next