The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change to LED lighting

3 posters

Go down

Change to LED lighting Empty Change to LED lighting

Post by poddanell Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi. The three of us (my better half, 07 Boxer Symbol and me) are off to Scotland this coming October, that's if covid restrictions allow. With the darker nights approaching fast I'll be using my interior lights a fair bit. I do find the lights a little harsh once we're due to settle down with a wine or two champagne .
Does anyone know if the fluorescent tubes can be replaced for a softer light or can they be replaced by LED bulbs. If all else fails, I suppose I could replace one or two of the units with LED lights but would prefer to stick with the original.
Any advice would be appreciated.
poddanell
poddanell

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Change to LED lighting Empty Re: Change to LED lighting

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:42 pm

These are direct replacement tubes that do not require any modification to the wiring or ballast but are expensive and so bright that you will only need one (2 max) to light entire van.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Paulmold wrote:so bright that you will only need one (2 max) to light entire van.....

They’re also cool white, so won’t be conducive to a cosy evening with a wine or two. That’s often the case with these retrofit LED lamps designed to replace an (equally cold) fluorescent tube. If you’re looking for a warmer light you’ll most likely need to install new fittings.  

Cold and warm are subjective terms, and it’s the “colour temperature” of a lamp, specified in Kelvin (K), that determines this effect. If you’re looking for something that provides a warmer effect select a lamp with a colour temperature no greater than 3000K.  Cool white is typically 4000K and for comparison, a halogen lamp is around 2500K.

LED lighting is ideal for motorhomes, particularly if off-grid as it draws low current yet still provides good light output (specified in Lumens). However the market is flooded with poor quality products, often in cold white by default.  If a lamp doesn’t have a colour temperature or “K” figure specified, my advice is don’t buy it if you want a warmer, more atmospheric light colour.  

I despaired at the lighting AS had selected for our van, which was stark, cold and clinical. The lighting designer had clearly never spent an evening in a motorhome and I replaced all except the ceiling lights, which are only ever used if we’re looking for something in the depths of the van. I wrote about it here:

A good place to start looking is Aten lighting (link below). I didn’t use their products in my project but they are well specified along the lines I’ve explained above and others on the forum have spoken well of them.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by poddanell Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Sound advice Paul & Tim. I know where I'm going now.
Pod
poddanell
poddanell

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down