The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrics Control Panel - Help!

4 posters

Go down

Electrics Control Panel - Help! Empty Electrics Control Panel - Help!

Post by Steve Gantlett Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm

Our 2006 Trident has an AC75 (or is it AC50 ?) Electrics Control Panel but I can't understand the instructions even to the first switch! The instructions I have say: "This switch turns on or off the 12V power to all circuits" fair enough, but the switch has three positions, so one is Off, one is On and what is the other (presumably the middle) position?

The instructions I have then go on to say: "this switch works in conjunction with a relay and should only be used for relatively short periods of time, ie when going out for the day" What does that mean? Do they really mean to say it should only be ON when going out for the day? If I go on a week's holiday, should I leave it ON all week, or not? And when I'm not using the van for a few weeks should I leave it on 'middle' or Off?

The instructions I have then go on to say: "For long-term isolation of the 12V power, place the car/Van selector switch on the ESM2004 to the centre (Off) position? Do I have such a switch and where is it? And if I do, what are the other two positions of this switch?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T5 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Electrics Control Panel - Help! Empty Re: Electrics Control Panel - Help!

Post by Roopert Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that you are looking at Sargent's generic instructions for the panel, which are vague because it can be fitted in a variety of different situations. There should have been, with the van from new, a user manual which describes the operation of the panel, as fitted by A/S.

To make progress, the first thing you need to do is work out what equipment you have fitted to the van. Do you actually have a Plug In Systems ESM2004 fitted? Google will find you some photos if you don't know what one looks like. Or do you have a Sargent Power Supply (e.g. a PSU2005)? Or something else? Once you've found the components and identified them it will be a lot easier to figure out which instructions are relevant to you and which are not.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Thank you very much indeed. Appreciated. I'm looking at a photocopy of what I think is Autosleepers Instructions for my 2006 Trident.

Yes, I suspect the 'instructions' I have are meant for so many different models of the Trident/Trooper that they are next to useless. I've Googled ESM2004 and PSU2005 and as far as I can see we haven't got either unless it's hidden somewhere. If that is the case, can you possibly best guess my questions in my first two paragraphs?
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Probably not - sorry! We have a PSU2005 power supply (and AC75 control panel) and the power supply has no switch on it to select between engine and leisure battery. But apparently an ESM2004 does, so the behaviour will be different depending on what is actually installed in your van.

Last edited by Roopert on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:22 pm

OK. Thanks. A little progress made!....
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Electrics Control Panel - Help! Empty Autosleeper instructions

Post by DebsH Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi Steve
I have just bought a Trident and have the instruction manual (mine's a 2008 model).  Happy to share if you are still looking for it.  I looked all over for the panel - it's behind the portapotti!  However, I'm having a 'mare understanding them as well.
Debs
DebsH
DebsH

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Things were changing quite fast around then in terms of control panels, because there was a transition from PSU2005 - with conventional switches on the control panel - to PSU2008 - which as far as I know was the first Sargent CP with a membrane switch panel and illuminated text display, and then the EC155, which had a slightly simpler display but also had the membrane switches. So the instruction manuals probably changed a fair bit during that period.

If you need to know about any of the functions of your specific control panel and power supply combination, someone here will probably be able to help, though.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Thank you DebsH and Roopert. Apologies for the delay but for some reason I didn't get alerts to your replies. Anyway, much appreciated. However, it seems I'll just have to continue to muddle along unless anyone comes up with detailed Electrics Control Panel Instructions specific to the 2006 Trident.
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Steve - hopefully I've already explained that A/S fitted several different types of control panel to the Trident, and there is no clear cutoff at the beginning and end of a calendar year - so we won't know what you have unless you tell us. There are probably a large number of people on the forum that will know your panel, but the problem is that they don't know what panel and power supply you have.

So if you post information on any markings, or take photos of the control panel and power supply (the latter may or may not be visible) and post them here then it's pretty much certain someone will recognise it/them.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Thank you. I've tried to attach a photo of my Electrics Control Panel, not sure if it's worked though....
I was really after 'full and proper' instructions for my set up, but it boils down to these questions which are bugging me:
1. The first switch has 3 positions: Vehicle Battery, Off and Leisure Battery. Presumably when the van is parked up for a week or more, it should be set to Off, but if one is on say a week-long trip, is it OK to leave it on Leisure all week?
2. What setting should it be on when I am trying to charge the Vehicle Battery with my home charger, or does it not matter?
3. What setting should it be on when I am trying to charge the Leisure Battery with my home charger, or does it not matter?
4. Can I charge the Leisure Battery with my home charger via the Vehicle Battery, and if so what should the switch be on, or if I want to charge the Leisure Battery with my Home Charger do I have to connect my charger direct to the Leisure Battery? And if so what should the switch be on?
5. If I do either of (4.) does it matter if the switch is set to Leisure, Off or Vehicle while charging?
6. The Water Switch has 3 positions, On, Centre and Off. What is the difference between Centre and Off?
Thank you if you can help!
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Trying again to send the pic...
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:11 pm

The three position switch is relevant only when you are connected to mains hook-up. It's sole purpose is for you to select which battery is receiving any charge.  It is normal for it to be left on the leisure battery position.  You get your habitation 12v supply from the leisure battery and this needs to be kept topped up.  On the rare occasions when the vehicle battery needs charging you can then swop switch position.
It is not necessary in normal circumstances to use a freestanding battery charger. Simply connect the vehicle to mains via the hook-up cable.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Thank you very much KMRTOPAZ.

So does this mean I'm OK to just leave it on 'Leisure' all the time, even when the vehicle is in storage?

If I connect the mains hook-up (which I hardly ever do) will it charge the Vehicle battery if the switch is set to 'Vehicle' and charge the Leisure Battery at the same time? Or will it only charge the Leisure Battery when the switch is set to 'Leisure'?

And what is the centre 'Off' position for?

When I use my external home battery charger attached direct to the Vehicle battery it tells me when it is fully charged, but I can only see the charge level on the Leisure battery via the control panel meter, is that correct? If so, it is a major reason to use the external charger.

If I connect my external charger to the Vehicle battery, does it also charge the Leisure battery if the switch is on Leisure?

Finally, I think (!), The Water Switch has 3 positions, On, Centre and Off. What is the difference between Centre and Off?

Thank you again if you can help further!
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:45 pm

The switch is only active when on hook-up. Leave it on Leisure.
The switch is there to allow you to choose only one battery at any one time.
Centre position allows for hook-up without charging either battery. Don't know why you would !
Yes the meter only reads the leisure voltage.
The three position switch only does what I stated above. It directs the charge when on hook-up
I assume you mean the pump switch.  I have only met an on/off switch for this function.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gantlett Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Very many thanks, Keith. Now I pretty much understand!
Steve
Steve Gantlett
Steve Gantlett

Male

Back to top Go down