The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony?

3 posters

Go down

Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony? Empty Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony?

Post by Paul-H Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Anyone know where the Zig X-7 battery charger can be found on a 1998 Symphony please? I've looked just about everywhere, and removed a couple of panels, but no success so far. I guess it could be under the sink, behind the MCBs etc, but can't see how to access that. I suspect I could have damaged the output that charges the vehicle battery, and I want to see how it's wired and test it. I suspect it's not wired quite as per the Zig instruction manual.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul-H
Paul-H

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony? Empty Re: Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony?

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Cupboard under cooker, under false floor.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony? Empty Re: Locating Zig X-7 battery charger in Symphony?

Post by Paul-H Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:59 pm

Thanks Paulmold - great. Is it obvious how to lift up the false floor?
Paul-H
Paul-H

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:09 am

Paul-H wrote:Thanks Paulmold - great. Is it obvious how to lift up the false floor?
If I remember correctly it was easy. The water pump is somewhere there as well I think (it's 7 years since I had Symphony).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:33 am

Hi  wave
Paul-H wrote: I want to see how it's wired and test it. I suspect it's not wired quite as per the Zig instruction manual.

It's not quite. The Zig manual shows the wiring for a caravan. You’re better looking at an AS wiring diagram of about the same era (they tend to be generic) .
Paul-H wrote:I suspect I could have damaged the output that charges the vehicle battery, and I want to see how it's wired and test it.
The Zig only has a single output. You’ll find two positive and two negative connectors to confuse things but they go to the same output internally so if you have any 12 V output on hookup the Zig is working.

Late 90s vans didn’t (usually) have an option to charge the vehicle battery from the Zig so if you do  have that option it was probably installed by a previous owner and anything could have happened to the wiring. tap_fingers

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul-H Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Paulmold wrote:If I remember correctly it was easy. The water pump is somewhere there as well I think (it's 7 years since I had Symphony).
Yes - it was easy to lift the false floor - no tools, just a finger hole to raise it. And found the water pump there too, as you recalled. 

brodco wrote:The Zig only has a single output. You’ll find two positive and two negative connectors to confuse things but they go to the same output internally so if you have any 12 V output on hookup the Zig is working.

Late 90s vans didn’t (usually) have an option to charge the vehicle battery from the Zig so if you do  have that option it was probably installed by a previous owner and anything could have happened to the wiring.
Having found the Zig X-7, I'd agree it only has a single output, exactly as you said. No damage to our charger, but I might have blown a fuse that charges the vehicle battery - doesn't seem like a good idea to charge both batteries from one charger output, as it effectively shorts the two batteries together, though I may have misunderstood the wiring diagrams! Makes sense that AS stopped wiring it like that. Not sure who wired this one, as it doesn't look like part of the original wiring, though the in-laws have owned it from new.

Thanks both of you!
Cheers,
Paul   smile!
Paul-H
Paul-H

Male

Back to top Go down